Notices

relapse

Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relapse

hi everyone.

I've been sober for 5 months but I relapsed last night. i just need some words of support please.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did a good job coming clean and being here. It doesn't need to be a big deal if you don't let it. Tomorrow is another sober day if you choose. Maybe take some extra steps to ensure your continued sobriety like meetings here, online, or just posting.

I know how it feels to relapse.

Love.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the really scary thing is I started drinking again this morning.I had it in my head it would be different this time. I even bought a book about controlled drinking! I knew it was just rubbish but I wanted it to be true. dust myself off and start over, thanks so much for replying
Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe and well done on coming back and facing up to your slip. Don't beat yourself up about it, pick yourself up, dust yourself down, learn from what happened, draw a line under it at move on. You have 5 sober months under your belt, you know what to do so stay focused and carry on. Be kind to yourself, stick close and if you get the urge to drink again post here first and talk it out. You can do this. xxxx
Old 04-27-2019, 11:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
Hi Gabe and well done on coming back and facing up to your slip. Don't beat yourself up about it, pick yourself up, dust yourself down, learn from what happened, draw a line under it at move on. You have 5 sober months under your belt, you know what to do so stay focused and carry on. Be kind to yourself, stick close and if you get the urge to drink again post here first and talk it out. You can do this. xxxx
Thanks hun that really helps. I feel like such a loser but I just need to dust myself off xx
Old 04-28-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you got any in the house, pour it out. Its not too late to start. Ever.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gabe - good to see you, even tho I know you're beating yourself up right now.

Stop it.. You made 5 months - thats a pretty significant amount of time

you can't unlearn all you learned then or undo all the things you accomplished - not unless you wilfullly throw them away.

Don't do that.

You're on the cusp of a great change - you've learned how to stop - now you have to learn how to stay stopped. ..

You know know that nothing changes in the toxic relationship between ourselves and alcohol.

Thats a vital realisation

You can do this!

D
Old 04-28-2019, 02:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Gabe - good to see you, even tho I know you're beating yourself up right now.

Stop it.. You made 5 months - thats a pretty significant amount of time

you can't unlearn all you learned then or undo all the things you accomplished - not unless you wilfullly throw them away.

Don't do that.

You're on the cusp of a great change - you've learned how to stop - now you have to learn how to stay stopped. ..

You know know that nothing changes in the toxic relationship between ourselves and alcohol.

Thats a vital realisation

You can do this!

D
Thanks Dee. I feel so ashamed of myself. Its scarey how quick all thiose feeelings come back xx
Old 04-28-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had two major relapses since starting to quit a few years ago, and the hard thing for me was to stop the setback in its tracks. The sooner that you end the drinking the better off you will be in all ways and that recovery can begin anew with fewer issues. The temptation for me was to ride into another binge because I was thinking, "well, I'm here again, why not drink?". It's so much worse to do the latter. I think that you can pull away from it.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As much as I despised my relapses because of all the horror that comes with them they did help me finally say "this is so not worth it!" If my relapse were even a fraction better then they were I would still be doing that awful dance.

5 months is terrific. That is enough time to build a life outside alcohol and guarantee you will be successful again.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again! The key for me was total and unconditional surrender. I had to make the decision to NEVER dink again, no matter what. No excuses, no half-measures. Only then could I truly start the recovery process. If I can do it, so can you!
Old 04-28-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I away to an aa meeting. check in later
Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you are back with us.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Relapse has been my nemesis--

Bottom line for me is that moderation is impossible, and not drinking at all is the place where peace and freedom is possible.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are back and glad to hear you are seeking other forms of support too. You can choose how today unfolds and I think you are making good choices thus far.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Check in with us again if you can today . Wishing a good sober day !
Old 04-28-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Get straight back on the horse, my friend.
You can decide whether to have a two day relapse or a full on bender.
You won't enjoy a bender, trust me.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Shame is a powerful tool that the disease uses to keep us in it's grip. There is no shame in making a mistake, and there is certainly no shame it coming here and asking for support. I wish I could count the times I had to give up before it stuck. For an Alcoholic, there is no such thing as controlled drinking, it is all or nothing. Fighting with Alcohol is a no win situation, we have to walk away from the fight.....Step 1, admit we are powerless. When you get out of the ring and give up the fight with drinking, admit to yourself that if you try to fight you will lose, you will win. Hard to grasp, but the only way to win, is to admit loss! No matter how many times it tries to get you back, it is never to late to get back out of the ring.

Hugs, Cathy
Old 04-28-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your posts everyone. I went to meeting today and it was really good. I think I just need more help. I stopped drinking at lunchtime and the horror is already setting in. I just need to stay calm and ride it out. I really do appreciate you all being here. Ive realised today that I completely lost focus on recovery. It was a hard lesson today but I'm trying to be grateful for it xx
Old 04-28-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

For me, playing the tape forward of where one drink has always led in my life is very helpful. With that much time under my belt, if I had any thoughts of drinking I'd play the POSITIVE tapes. How good have I felt? How much better is life? Waking up with a hangover...NEVER. Risking a DUI...NEVER. Feeling in the moment, free and clear. Better relationships. More in touch with myself. Better sex. Consistently good mood.

Is that one drink ever worth it? Even if you COULD drink "normally," is that even worth it with the good you feel NOT drinking at all? And let's be real, the chances of even being close to a "normal" drinker are Slim to None, and Slim's out of town.

People often miss the good stuff. You're throwing all that away if you start drinking again.

Welcome back. Keep it up. And be mindful of all the ramifications of taking another drink....ever.