Notices

When members drink again

Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I totally understand your frustration sassy especially if you have not relapsed. I'm very frustrated at myself for a recent relapse. But I must say thanks to this community they always welcome me back with open arms. In the beginning of my time on SR I attained longer 18 month sobriety. Then thought I was re-wired and could be a normie drinker (Whatever that means, that's like a normie heroine user) so that relapse lasted over a year or longer. I returned to SR... relapsed again for a few months, this cycle continued, returned relapsed again for six weeks, returned and then relapsed for 1 night and I'm back. Not everyone can get this **** down when it is all you know. It takes a long long long time to get this **** straight. Now I have the tools and support to help me and I recognize quicker that I'm an out of control drinker. Yes, I keep relapsing, but they are getting shorter in time and now first time ever I turned my ass around and did an about face after 1 night out. It's a horrible ailment to be cursed with. Nice to know you care and the members that do return to drinking are human and most don't get this on the first try and some never do... But I will never give up.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joy57 View Post
I totally understand your frustration sassy especially if you have not relapsed. I'm very frustrated at myself for a recent relapse. But I must say thanks to this community they always welcome me back with open arms. In the beginning of my time on SR I attained longer 18 month sobriety. Then thought I was re-wired and could be a normie drinker (Whatever that means, that's like a normie heroine user) so that relapse lasted over a year or longer. I returned to SR... relapsed again for a few months, this cycle continued, returned relapsed again for six weeks, returned and then relapsed for 1 night and I'm back. Not everyone can get this **** down when it is all you know. It takes a long long long time to get this **** straight. Now I have the tools and support to help me and I recognize quicker that I'm an out of control drinker. Yes, I keep relapsing, but they are getting shorter in time and now first time ever I turned my ass around and did an about face after 1 night out. It's a horrible ailment to be cursed with. Nice to know you care and the members that do return to drinking are human and most don't get this on the first try and some never do... But I will never give up.
I have been attempting to quit drinking for ten years. 2008 was when I first started quitting. I have relapsed many, many times. I was on a different Internet forum the whole time. People were incredibly frustrated with me and scared for me. Sometimes I would quit with certainty but return to drinking after a few months because my bottom wasn’t too bad, didn’t outweigh what I liked about drinking. Then the bottom got worse, and worse, and honestly my drinking started to deeply frighten me and the bottom got really low. I tried to go back to the forum but it had closed, did a search and found SR. You don’t see relapses with me here because I just happened to quit forever when I found SR, it was more me than SR, as much as SR has helped me cope with a foregone conclusion. I know with certainty now that if I go back out I face an even lower bottom, and I just can’t do that. So I stick with it. There’s a lot of disaster avoidance in my sobriety. Just personal safekeeping really, because I know exactly what’s on the other side. It took awhile to know it.

I get emotional here in a way that I don’t at work, even though what I face at work is similar. I get irritated quickly here, and I am calm and level at work. Peoples stories here sometimes bring me to tears quickly, out of sadness and frustration. Sometimes, at work I come across alcoholics, and I don’t stop thinking about it for ages. Alcoholics are my family, that sounds goofy I know, but it’s almost like having shared DNA that you didn’t choose to share with people. And as a result there is this gut level understanding. It hits me hard.

Yet, I return here despite my challenges to keep my reminder to myself and to provide at least one example of someone with sobriety. It’s not the last time I’ll feel sad, but it’s good I have somewhere to talk about it.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I get emotional here in a way that I don’t at work, even though what I face at work is similar. .
I would offer that the difference may be that here we all understand the gravity of the situation. When you are among those who have a common reason to band together - things take on a higher level of importance. I too get very passionate about things here sometimes, and as a forum leader I sometimes even need to just step away as my input might be more harmful than helpful.

I think it's much like the dynamic of a recovery meeting - you would say and hear things there that you'd never in a million years talk about at work.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Relapse is a very serious topic - the most serious from my perspective.

Recovery in general, and AA in particular, is a dichotomy of miracles on the one hand and tragedies (frequently including death) on the other.

I don't know it when someone on our forums relapses, though, unless he or she brings it up when they return, because we don't have a membership tally-board, so to speak.

If there is, I haven't run across it yet.

I was out of town for a good bit of a 3 week period over the summer, with no posting on my part, and, the next time I logged onto SR, I was very gratified to have received a nice note inquiring about my absence.

It made me feel real good.

There are some prior regular posters from our forums who seem to have disappeared, and I hope that all of them are happy, healthy and sober.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

A regular in a meeting I attend died last week and he was an alcoholism counselor. I feel so much gratitude that I'm sober today.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
A regular in a meeting I attend died last week and he was an alcoholism counselor. I feel so much gratitude that I'm sober today.
Oh no. Was he sober with illness caused by drinking, or did he relapse? Even those who counsel are not immune.

And this problem worsens every day. It’s a public health crisis. People are dying left and right from drinking.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

A symptom of my disease was that I believed anything that happened within my little sphere of awareness, because I might have been directly or directly involved in it, happened because of me, and I was responsible, I was at fault.

I influence just about nothing. People and situations just happen. Out of my control.

They drank because of something you didn'tsay? No, they drank cause they chose to. Not because a stranger on the internet or in a church basement couldn't effectively talk them out of it.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CJHolden View Post
A symptom of my disease was that I believed anything that happened within my little sphere of awareness, because I might have been directly or directly involved in it, happened because of me, and I was responsible, I was at fault.

I influence just about nothing. People and situations just happen. Out of my control.

They drank because of something you didn'tsay? No, they drank cause they chose to. Not because a stranger on the internet or in a church basement couldn't effectively talk them out of it.
I understand and that’s what I’m telling myself. This person was messaging me several times a day, then I got busy with work and didn’t check in, and this person left a message regarding relapse when I came back. I felt it wasn’t what I was saying but the support, and the timing was crappy enough to make me feel bad about it. In the lead up to this relapse, this person was walking the wine aisles at stores and buying wine for people, etc and I remember saying that wasn’t wise early in sobriety...I still believe “a tree falls the way it leans” and cautioned against those kinds of behaviors, but the relapse happened anyway. There were definite behaviors and lack of acknowledgement of the behaviors. Things a lot of us talk about in here. Not going to bars, limiting exposure to it, avoiding heavy drinkers with no desire to quit, etc. That advice is dead on, by the way and not something I ever did in my sober periods in the past, but I did them in early sobriety this time. Anyway I know and that’s what I told myself, but I do feel bad when people relapse.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh no. Was he sober with illness caused by drinking, or did he relapse? Even those who counsel are not immune.
It was a relapse. He overdosed on heroin. I heard a sober shrink qualify that he went out with 27 years (back four) even though addiction is is specialty. No one gets a guarantee. I've been going to the same meetings on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for 27 years and the rooms don't get any bigger yet with all the newcomers we should be in Yankee Stadium by now. Sure some move, but most don't make it. Sobriety is a gift we should never take for granted.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
It was a relapse. He overdosed on heroin. I heard a sober shrink qualify that he went out with 27 years (back four) even though addiction is is specialty. No one gets a guarantee. I've been going to the same meetings on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for 27 years and the rooms don't get any bigger yet with all the newcomers we should be in Yankee Stadium by now. Sure some move, but most don't make it. Sobriety is a gift we should never take for granted.
Wow, NYC. What a humbling experience and a powerful reminder. It’s terribly sad yet so common. I am still and always an alcoholic. Just grateful to be a sober one.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm a member of AA and when I hear a member share they drank again I try and welcome them back with encouragement.

But why do some return to drink and others don't?

The reasons vary.

The best I can come up with is they stopped appreciating their sobriety.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We're addicts. That didn't happen overnight. It took years of repeatedly reinforcing that drinking feels good, to get to a point where it was so hard wired into the brain that we couldn't get enough and couldn't stop. It's going to take more than one cycle of quitting followed by relapse to redo the brain's wiring, to get to where quitting feels better than relapsing.. usually that's reinforced by repeated relapses, where each feels worse than the last. Each time the relapse gets worse, sobriety feels better bin contrast. You begin to feel there is greater risk in relapse, and greater reward in quitting, so slowly over time it's easy to quit.

That's completely different from staying sober, which involves relearning how to cope with the stressesof life and not drink. Thats complicated, imho, by AA which tells us life is better without alcohol. It's the same. You're the same. You just have to work at finding different ways to cope. You can do that with the aid of other forms of therapy. They can guide you but you must do the work and it is harder than staying sick.

Meetings and steps aren't enough, you have to have the willingness to get very uncomfortable, for an indefinite period of time. Nobody tells you that in meetings. They just tell you to follow these steps and you will feel better. But leaving your comfort zone always feels worse. That is why people relapse.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

We're addicts. That didn't happen overnight. It took years of repeatedly reinforcing that drinking feels good, to get to a point where it was so hard wired into the brain that we couldn't get enough and couldn't stop. It's going to take more than one cycle of quitting followed by relapse to redo the brain's wiring, to get to where quitting feels better than relapsing.. usually that's reinforced by repeated relapses, where each feels worse than the last. Each time the relapse gets worse, sobriety feels better bin contrast. You begin to feel there is greater risk in relapse, and greater reward in quitting, so slowly over time it's easy to quit.

That's completely different from staying sober, which involves relearning how to cope with the stressesof life and not drink. Thats complicated, imho, by AA which tells us life is better without alcohol. It's the same. You're the same. You just have to work at finding different ways to cope. You can do that with the aid of other forms of therapy. They can guide you but you must do the work and it is harder than staying sick.

Meetings and steps aren't enough, you have to have the willingness to get very uncomfortable, for an indefinite period of time. Nobody tells you that in meetings. They just tell you to follow these steps and you will feel better. But leaving your comfort zone always feels worse. That is why people relapse.
I think you make a very good point. However, I would add there are those too who simply "forgot" they can't drink.

They stop working the AA program and/or going to meetings or whatever they were doing which kept the fact a drink isn't an option fresh.

Then one day out of the blue they pick up again.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes yes yes. You speak a lot of truth here. It is harder than being sick. Being sick isn’t easy but it takes no work at all. Sobriety, even if you do no program or AA or rehab and it’s just on your own....is still a boatload of work.

Also I think that it’s important to tell the truth. Because if we go around saying it’s unicorns and rainbows we start to feel like our brand of sobriety suffering is unique. That “you all” can get sober but you have no idea how I feel and if you felt like I do you wouldn’t be able to either....well newsflash WE ALL FEEL LIKE THAT.

On the other forum I was on everyone was always talking about how fantastic they felt all the time in sobriety and I thought what is wrong with me? Why is it so hard for me?

This time I decided to just walk through fire even if it sucked forever because I didn’t want to die, destroy my reputation completely or devastate my family, so I went through it. It’s a bit better in year 2 but not totally.

Someone asked me tonight “is it better now without the drinking.” I said, “In some ways yes, and in some ways no, but I will continue to stay sober anyway.” She took her half glass of wine that she couldn’t finish to her lips and nodded. Seemed to understand, though she can have as much alcohol as she wants, but struggles to finish a half glass every year. It would be difficult, I realized, to explain the extent of my drinking to this nice woman. There is no way on earth she could ever possibly understand. My 100 units a week, what’s that? 5,200 units a year? To her one unit per year. That’s a level of understanding that’s just inexplicable, but it’s why I stay quit.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Yes yes yes. You speak a lot of truth here. It is harder than being sick. Being sick isn’t easy but it takes no work at all. Sobriety, even if you do no program or AA or rehab and it’s just on your own....is still a boatload of work.

Also I think that it’s important to tell the truth. Because if we go around saying it’s unicorns and rainbows we start to feel like our brand of sobriety suffering is unique. That “you all” can get sober but you have no idea how I feel and if you felt like I do you wouldn’t be able to either....well newsflash WE ALL FEEL LIKE THAT.

On the other forum I was on everyone was always talking about how fantastic they felt all the time in sobriety and I thought what is wrong with me? Why is it so hard for me?

This time I decided to just walk through fire even if it sucked forever because I didn’t want to die, destroy my reputation completely or devastate my family, so I went through it. It’s a bit better in year 2 but not totally.

Someone asked me tonight “is it better now without the drinking.” I said, “In some ways yes, and in some ways no, but I will continue to stay sober anyway.” She took her half glass of wine that she couldn’t finish to her lips and nodded. Seemed to understand, though she can have as much alcohol as she wants, but struggles to finish a half glass every year. It would be difficult, I realized, to explain the extent of my drinking to this nice woman. There is no way on earth she could ever possibly understand. My 100 units a week, what’s that? 5,200 units a year? To her one unit per year. That’s a level of understanding that’s just inexplicable, but it’s why I stay quit.

Good point. I think what such people may be implying is that life is much better without the ongoing drama of alcoholic drinking/behavior.

Because (imo) anyone who claims to be happy, joyous and free all the time in sobriety is either delusional or lying to themselves and others.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its a relative thing I think.

I have no trouble in considering myself happy joyous and free... but that doesn't mean I live on Big Rock Candy Mountain with lemonade streams and ice cream trees

My life's better for sure, but not that much better in some ways - but *I* am - and that makes all the difference

D
Old 12-16-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Therapists are trained to have boundaries with their clients and to take care of themselves. That's the only way to.continue.tonhelp.others
Hey Sassy, and thanks for this Mindful - I came back to your thread, Sassy, after going to a meeting this week where the suggested topic was about when sponsees drink again.

The cumulative consensus based on experience was just what MM said. So hard to do for fixers and pleasers like me, and so critical for my own sobriety to maintain it in order to help others.

Some people with a lot more sobriety and more sponsees in their time shared that most of those folks who did drink came back to the AA program. Lots of people talked about being serial relapses. Pretty much everyone agreed that alcoholics are likely to lie, avoid, etc the people trying to help them most, especially if they feel chased. I sure did, and so far, this is my one and only life in sobriety.

Of course - and tragically- some people also talked about those who just didn't or couldn't get sober before something alcohol-induced killed them. Or will.

Your thread also made me think of my teenage (16) step daughter who we are just thinking might have started drinking. Long reason as to the why - but the point here is that this is (sort of) different with a minor child, but still (esp as the step parent) kind of like I have to treat my own sponsee. I can't force her not to drink and that cycle of lying to us, hiding, avoiding etc, could become a "normal teenage thing" (which I'd love not to see but...) or the beginning of her own alcoholism like both her parents and preceding gen.

Take care of you- empathy is a great quality - and learning to use it wisely is tough.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Its a relative thing I think.

I have no trouble in considering myself happy joyous and free... but that doesn't mean I live on Big Rock Candy Mountain with lemonade streams and ice cream trees

My life's better for sure, but not that much better in some ways - but *I* am - and that makes all the difference

D
You took the words right out of my mouth, Dee!

Sometimes I think others can't figure out why I'm so happy all the time and it bothers them. But I figure that says more about them than it does about me. If they could find the joy that I've found in recovery, they'd be happy too. We just gotta keep doing our thing and maybe some day they will get there too!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth, Dee!

Sometimes I think others can't figure out why I'm so happy all the time and it bothers them. But I figure that says more about them than it does about me. If they could find the joy that I've found in recovery, they'd be happy too. We just gotta keep doing our thing and maybe some day they will get there too!
It doesn't bother me. I just find it suspect when someone says they never get upset or angry or have a bad day.

But if that's the case more power to you.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post.