Notices

Shouldn't I be past this irritability?

Old 11-26-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes- it is all about us, what we see is not truth, but perception.
Stating the obvious.
So how do we deal with our perceptions?
For me- CBT works really well.
In the moment- if really angry or irritable or sad or anxious or whatever- the imagery of seeing myself as a rock- in a stormy bay, where my emotions are the waves that cover the rock- but eventually recede. In the moment- just for that moment, this can work- along with some distracting task...just for that moment. Even a 60 second walk up and down some stairs- thinking about my breathing. It does not turn me into a yogi sitting in a lotus position at one with the universe, but usually enough to get me through that moment.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Let's see... 45-year-old tired working mother of two; local school principal & husband works there too.... wonders why she is irritable?

You my friend have a very stressful lifestyle. You must have a lot of positive attributes or you would not be the school principal. But almost anyone in this situation would be operating at a very high level of stress. What really pushes you into a super stress mode is the fact that your job isn't something you can turn off. Being the principal and living in the community you serve is a 24x7 commitment. Obviously you realize that alcohol won't help the situation but in your case it seems to me that alcohol was only one of the causes of your irritability. If possible I suggest that you consider either getting re-assigned as the principal of a school outside the area where you live or moving to live in an area outside your school district. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.
TOTALLY agree. I have been thinking about that and may pursue other options. The blessing and curse of education is that your salary and retirement are all tied up in how long you stay. In many ways my situation is ideal... I get mad at myself when I feel stressed because I have a fantastic job, I really love what I do, I'm pretty good at it and that feels awesome. But sometimes I'm just worn out and don't think there is ANYTHING left in the tank... especially for basic personality attributes like, say, patience. Ha!

I've often thought that if I was a person who could brush off issues and problems at work/school/community, I'd have the perfect job. Unfortunately I take everything personally and take responsibility for every little problem.

It helps to know I'm not alone. I really think my original post was just one of those days that, apparently, some of ya'll have-- where everything and everyone just freakin' annoys the crap out of me. It's definitely been better since then. Just needed a friend that night.. thanks to all of you for the supportive words.

Still not gonna drink, no way, no how.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There's no reason you should feel less irritable just because you quit drinking. We put down the drink and then the hard part of recovery commences with the Steps and therapy. Or, another program. It's a lifetime of hard work.