Notices

need some help please

Old 08-20-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need some help please

I am ashamed to be posting again as you have all tried to help in the past. I continue to be a highly functioning alcoholic...no one at work has any idea. I perform at the highest levels and continue to make really good money....but my personal life sucks. I'm always tired. I can't remember half the meals I eat at night. My sleep sucks if I've been drinking. Why can't my success at work translate into happiness? I'm so sorry to waste your time.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back speed. Sounds to me like your “functioning level” might not really be all that high if it’s causing so many issues? You could certainly wait until your job performance fails too, but you could also try quitting for a whole to see how it goes , right?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're not wasting my time. I hope you will utilize this site for support and advice and I hope it will help keep you sober.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Speed - We're happy to have you post as much as you want - whenever you want.

It took me a few tries to get free of it also. I once functioned quite well too - but over the years I grew dependent on it. I never thought I'd be an all day drinker, but it happened. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what it's doing to your life.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's nothing to apologize for.
In fact, you brought back a great memory. I was a low functioning alcoholic. Well, medium.
But the man who answered my AA call, and got me into it, was very high functioning.

He didn't tell me, but I found out from others.
Turns out he's a multi-millionaire.
Christmas in Aspen. A classic Mercedes. Huge home in an elite neighborhood.
Developments all over the globe. He owned hotels, office buildings and apartments.

But he was an alcoholic. And a bad one. and he took the time to do the 12th step of AA with others.
I remember him telling me, "drinking a cheap pint of vodka out of the hot glove compartment, that's real social drinking".

He was a great man who has since passed and he wouldn't mind me telling you this. I still love and miss him.
Anyway, I'm telling you this to make a point. It doesn't matter how well you function in life, it's about alcohol and what it does to you.

Work life is but one facet of life. I reached the pinnacle of my trade in show business. After I quit drinking.
It doesn't seem like your personal life is going so hot. That's a big facet of life. There's more to life than work. No matter how successful you are.
My friend finally realized this and I did too.

Don't know where I'm going with this, but you brought back my friend's memory, and had to share it with you.

Best to you and welcome back.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

speed,
15 posts in 43 months is hardly a barrage

please use this board as much as you can...participating really helped me bigtime at the beginning.

why can't your success at work translate into happiness? it is a very good question, and while your answer might be personal to you, there is also much written about the wider question of what happiness actually IS and what "makes" us happy.
to me, happy is not as important as meaningful, or maybe happiness needs to be based on something meaningful...and here i start again with the questions!!!

but since you are not happy and your personal life sucks, i assume you wish to change the suckiness and see drinking as being related to it?

are you onsidering quitting or just mostly wondering why functioning at work as an alcoholic doesn't provide the happiness you seek?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by speed39144 View Post
Why can't my success at work translate into happiness?
Perhaps you are a victim of the delusions that you can wrest satisfaction from this life if only you manage well. Perhaps the direction you are heading is not consistent with your true inner purpose. Perhaps you worship false gods, like the instincts for prestige and security.

Maybe to solution is to find a new way to live that incorporates your true self.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Speed - for years I told myself the same line - that I was a "highly functioning alcoholic". I am a successful professional in a high-stakes, competitive field in the most competitive city in the world with a beautiful ex-wife, a beautiful wife, children...

But here's the thing. I don't know how old you are, but the game will start to play you one day. I used to read here and heard for years that alcoholism is progressive - I finally got to learn that the hard way. It's certain that if you keep walking the path you are on, things will not end well.

And in the end you are here on SR, trying to get sober, much like why I was here - because there is something in you that is dying, something in you that is being killed by your addiction. I've come to think of it as the psyche, but you could call it the soul or the self or Mr Rogers, whatever it is. By continuing to drink you are at odds with that self - you are divided. Living a life divided against one's self is a horrible, painful, deceitful and miserable way to live. But it is required in order to maintain your alcoholism.

I think the happiness you want and feel denied is less "happiness" than what I've come to identify as peace or calm - as no longer being at odds with my self.

Until you live in alignment, in sobriety of course, with what your psyche/soul/self most desires, the pain you are in will continue.

At least that's what I have come to learn.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by speed39144 View Post
I am ashamed to be posting again as you have all tried to help in the past. I continue to be a highly functioning alcoholic...no one at work has any idea. I perform at the highest levels and continue to make really good money....but my personal life sucks. I'm always tired. I can't remember half the meals I eat at night. My sleep sucks if I've been drinking. Why can't my success at work translate into happiness? I'm so sorry to waste your time.
Hi Speed, You have described me 8 months ago. As soon as I would get off work I would start drinking and have 1 to 2 bottles of wine a night. Wake up the next day not knowing what I had done the previous night except the evidence I would see in the morning (food, social media, text et) I never missed work and am excelling in my career. I was a high functioning alcoholic. I haven't had a drink in 8 months, some days are hard but life is so much better. I'm here if you ever need to chat or talk.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're welcome to post here anytime.

I hope you decide to stop drinking. I think you will find the happiness you're looking for in recovery.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

speed we're here to help do I actually hope you use us a little more.

For the first ten years of mt drinkign noone knew I was any different tio anyone else as a drinker...then for the last ten years everyone knew,,,I was the neighbourhood bum.

The transition from one to the other was frighteningly quick, and it can happen to anyone.

I credit this place with helping me turn my life around - you could do a loit worse than post here regularly

D
Old 08-21-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Speed I'm in the same boat. Exact same, awesome at work, but have other issues. I literally signed up here about an hour ago. If I'm here and your here, we are both being honest with ourselves. I'm about 21 hours since my last drink. I have a fridge full of beer, but haven't grabbed one yet tonight. My best wishes to you on your own journey.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That isn’t unlike my story; one would think academic and professional achievement would translate into kicking the booze habit, and it both did but didn’t for me.

If anything, the former justifies the latter and the latter threatens the former.

As for happiness, I had to reengage in old hobbies and find new activities that I could do in the evenings in lieu of drinking, and so far so good.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome, ron7777.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
That isn’t unlike my story; one would think academic and professional achievement would translate into kicking the booze habit, and it both did but didn’t for me.

If anything, the former justifies the latter and the latter threatens the former.

As for happiness, I had to reengage in old hobbies and find new activities that I could do in the evenings in lieu of drinking, and so far so good.
This was my life as well.

I also went back to old hobbies and started trailrunning and a yoga practice. More recently, I've added in meditation.

It helps greatly to push back against the urges.

The thing is, you're "high functioning" until you're not, and that can happen quick or you can be eroding and not realize it, even though those around you know something is wrong.

They may not say anything, but don't think it is so very hidden, or will remain so given the progression of the addiction that you describe.

Wishing you the best
Old 08-22-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

one would think academic and professional achievement would translate into kicking the booze habit

why would one think that?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post

This reminds me of my dilemma.

I remember thinking that I could sure earn sheepskins just fine, but that I couldn't quit bending my elbow at the bar every night.

Those degrees wouldn't do me any good at all if I was too drunk to work.

So I ultimately asked for and received help for my drinking problem.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"Functional alcoholism" is simply part of the progression of the disease. It gets worse and worse as we loose our ability to function in the world.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Every day is a struggle. I wake up each day able to function, but lose ground as the day progresses. By the time I get home I need a 45min nap to combat the fatigue before I start drinking. I sleep a minimum of 9 hours a night so I can work the next day. My passion is cooking, and when I do that I'm very happy. Often wish I could trade alcohol for gourmet cooking. I realize I cannot handle the drinking and just wish I could move on like I did when I quit smoking. I am a high achiever at work but totally shut myself down at night, barely able to remember what happened the next day. I feel I am close to making the choice to quit as I did when I quit smoking....Just need a little push to do it
Old 08-22-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Going to try to quit now....Dumping out the rest of my handle of vodka I bought tonight. I will post on this thread everyday I can resist looking for support. If I don't post I have failed