Notices

What did you find the most helpful about AA?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post
+1
It's a shame it's spread on so thick.
There's a smorgasboard of options out there.
I get what you're saying. But AA is free, it's widely available, it's set up so there is one on one support, the steps it has are kind of cool in that they really cause you to examine yourself and have some humility. I'm actually a huge AA fan. Even though I don't attend. Why?

I blew the bank on iop and I'm kind of pissed off about it, nearly drained our hsa and I've got children and a husband who need medical care too.
Then I went right out and drank because when iop ended there went my support. it really chaps my hide that I could have spent a dollar a meeting...what is that seven bucks a week? and probably would have had more support, more group choice, more choices for meeting times, and possibly a better chance at not going back out there.

This time I was done, and I knew it from day one, so I didn't feel I needed as much support and maybe I did but just used SR excessively instead, whether I needed AA or not, i am solidly sober. AVRT has supported my sobriety so far.

But there's something kind of beautiful about an AA meeting. I never really joined. But there is a feeling of support in the rooms that is hard to get anywhere else.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I haven't read on this site, "It's AA or nothing." AA has its pros and cons, and some people are more suited to that type of group dynamic than others.

The Program of AA is based on sound spiritual principals that won't lead you down the wrong path. Their material (including the Big Book "Alcoholics Anonymous") is available to read on their website.

I guess you have to go to many meetings, read the material and make your own call on it.

I went for the first three months of sobriety and parts of it were helpful to me. You'll often hear, "Take what you like and leave the rest." I think that's good sound advice no matter where you go in life. It has saved peoples' lives. That's important to remember.
It is also important to read comments fully. Nowhere in my response did I state I read on this site"It's AA or nothing." I simply stated that people who are new sometimes get the impression that few paths exist to sobriety. While the majority of us that have stuck around have seen many from other members.

Thus you do not need to defend AA as it is not under attack.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

If someone would read my posts, I'd be grateful...y'know?

Get back on topic, please

D
Old 06-28-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Very good questions, and, in terms of AA, quite hard to pin down to one thing. If I had to I would say the first 103 pages of the book Alcoholics Anonymous. That is the basic text of the program that has worked so well for so many.

"Nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works where other activities fail". I have tested this and found it to be true. If you look up Crapes 2002 research shows that those who help others have a much higher chance of staying sober.

Reliance on a higher power rather than other people has been a life saving principle for me. It has given me incredible freedom as to how I live my life. True independence and freedom from alcohol.

The book contains very good descriptions of the real alcholic, and also other types of problem drinkers. It helped me see where I sat, and what I needed to do. It described an idea about a physical allergy to alcohol, an abnormal reaction that set off a craving for more. That was me. Then it said if that was all there was to it, all we need do is never drink again. Simple.

However it then goes on to explain that there is more to it. At certain times the alcholic is without defense against that first drink. "A complete failure of the kind of defense that stops one putting one's hand on a hot stove" That was me too, though it is not everyone with a drinking problem. "So the main problem centres in the mind"

These are useful things to know. What is the nature of the problem, what has been tried in the past and failed, what is requitred to make a full recovery.

Knowing our true situation, based on our own experience is the key to finding a lasting recovery.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

To the OP, one particular comment about "small town" or environment concerns (and leaving AA out of it) - someone once said to me "you didn't care when you were drinking, and I bet LOTS of people knew you had a problem - so why worry about who knows you got sober?" Bam.

I hope you commit to a program of action - I copied that phrase early in SR days from Dee - because I believe that is one of the most critical pieces to long term recovery - after accepting that we are indeed powerless over alcohol (or whatever phrase sits with you to get the point hitting home that we absolutely cannot drink, ever).

Take care and do read around- looking for similarities rather than differences between myself and others (and I mean from my AA companions and folks getting sober any other way) is so helpful.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

To answer the question posed by the OP, the most helpful benefits of AA that I received are:

1. Initially, it gave me a place to be and hang out with recovering people. It also gave me instruction and assignments. I learned from members who had been sober for many years.

2. After a while, it re-integrated me into the world, including my family environment (such as it was at that time), work and friendships.

3. After I started working the program (which is the 12 steps) in earnest on a daily basis, the Promises of AA became a regular part of my life.

I wish you the best with your recovery, irrespective of which path(s) to achieve it that you pursue.

For me, it's been AA, and I have been sober for a while now.

Please keep us posted with your progress.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What did you find the most helpful about AA?

For many years I drank alone.

And then for many years, I tried to get sober alone.

In my city of 300,000 people, I thought I was the only one who seemed to be a "functional" alcoholic.

When I finally went to AA, I discovered that I was one of many and that I was not alone. What a relief that was.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I also get an AA or nothing bias on this site...
My attitude is whatever works.
I'm sorry you pick that up. I got sober in AA, it worked for me, but whatever works is the answer. My first sponsor said "AA is a program for those who want it, not for those who need it." I hope people with solid recovery in other programs share their experience, strength and hope as well.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think I was a very dependent person and AA made me realize that I have to make it work on my own. I was angry for a long time, because I thought all the talk about "not doing it on your own" meant that people in the program would hold my hand as I fought off cravings. I felt lied to when I had to face down my urges on my own--and was angrier still when I relapsed.

But like my sponsor said, no one can recover for you. Eventually I got it...but not till I left the program.

I am more of a gentle person so I do not think the tough love of AA would ever work for me completely. But having to stand on my own two feet in recovery was a necessary (if painful) lesson.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There have been repeated reminders to keep this thread on track which doesn’t seem to be possible for some reason. I will reiterate that SR is a forum open to all methods of recovery, and we have subforums of all kinds specific to many. Our goal is to share what works and not tear down a particular method or individual. Posts have been removed and the thread is closed.