I read about L-tyrosine supplements.
Does anybody have any experience.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exercise and a healthy diet are dopamine exploders (If that's even a word) :-p
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience snowy. My advice is always see your Dr tho - what works for others may not work or even be suitable for you,

D
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are a lot of foods that can help.

Also L-theanine - which is present in green tea of all things (Matcha tea mix is even higher %).
Old 07-01-2018, 12:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No experience snowy. My advice is always see your Dr tho - what works for others may not work or even be suitable for you,

D
Thanks Dee, I will see my doc if I think anything persists.
Just trying to get a wider view on my new world.

When I get ill I have to keep reminding myself that I’m ill and that’s why I feel low.

Maybe I’m used to blaming most things on levelling out from the booze.

I also struggle to keep a routine as far as mealtimes go. Think that’s my main problem with dopamine levels. The reason I was thinking of taking a supplement.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm also in the camp that you really need to speak with a medical professional before starting any supplement, even if its over the counter. You have no idea how it might affect you and it's possible that the effects might even be negative.

There is also a lot of bad advice out there regarding supplements via Dr. Google so better to talk to a real doctor. Out of curiosity, how do you know you have low dopamine - was that diagnosed or did you diagnose yourself via the internet? I ask because I did the same thing many times - as a health anxiety sufferer. I can tell you from experience that its a rabbit hole you don't want to go down ;-)
Old 07-01-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

...and I don't think there is any test for low dopamine.

I agree with a healthy balanced nutrition plan and some moderate exercise most days. Supplements can be researched (for actual scientific effectiveness, not woo-marketing) at Examine.com.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exercise helps tremendously. Break a good sweat and it will do wonders. Also helps to expel cortisol from your system.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'm also in the camp that you really need to speak with a medical professional before starting any supplement, even if its over the counter. You have no idea how it might affect you and it's possible that the effects might even be negative.

There is also a lot of bad advice out there regarding supplements via Dr. Google so better to talk to a real doctor. Out of curiosity, how do you know you have low dopamine - was that diagnosed or did you diagnose yourself via the internet? I ask because I did the same thing many times - as a health anxiety sufferer. I can tell you from experience that its a rabbit hole you don't want to go down ;-)
A few weeks ago, I made a Google diagnosis of a leg muscle twitch as either a lack of potassium, dehydration (too many diet soft drinks) or Lou Gerigh's disease (ALS).

I ate a couple of bananas and it went away, which was a great relief.

There are good reasons why I didn't succeed in becoming a doctor when I went to college (I was drunk every night and i wasn't smart).

I need to remember that more often.