Notices

Don't know anymore...

Old 06-24-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Really don't know who the **** this person in the mirror is but I'm determined to change.

Having this outlet has helped more than anticipated, thanks for listening everyone! I really do appreciate the input.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
RR279 - I ran with a pretty crazy crowd when I was younger. Your post reminds me of one fellow in the crowd who had family wealth, was good with the ladies and athletic. In his teens and 20s he faced few consequences despite his gross level of overall addiction. I could not count how many rehabs his family put him in. By the time he was 30 his family and even most of his less addicted friends were fed up with him and he spent most of his 30s just surviving. His addictions were so severe that he became the guy the rest of us used to compare out and convince ourselves that we did not have an alcohol/addiction problem.

I remember him telling me this when we were both in our early 30s. He had visited a doctor for a medical review of his overall physical condition. Paid for by his father of course. The doctor told him he had the body of a 55-60 year old person. It was clear to the doctor that his substance abuse was destroying his body.

Then came the inevitable end. He died at the age of 42. It was January I think maybe February. His father had put him in another rehab facility over the holidays. He met someone in the rehab facility and they got out on the same day. They went to the liquor store together and bought a bunch of alcohol. His new friend found my old friend dead on the couch the next morning.

Looking back on it I think what were once assets for him particularly the family wealth became a liability because their ability to shield him from the consequences earlier in his addiction allowed him to continue using until the disease of addiction became so embedded in his brain that nothing could save him.

I hope your story ends better than his did.
I already have been diagnosed with cardiac problems, I have a low ejection fraction. I have also used steroids in conjunction with stimulants more times than I can remember and it's taken it's toll on my body.

I've been addicted to a whirlwind of drugs over the years and have almost killed myself by not measuring GHB doses and going into comas.

I know how deadly large unmeasured doses of GHB can be, I've seen people die from it but I've done it myself afterwards multiple times.

I haven't even tipped the iceberg but the point is my decisions have been effectively suicidal.

I very regularly drive my 700hp Corvette extremely aggressively while drunk and have with high performance cars on a regular basis for over a decade. I thought nothing of taking a date up to 120mph+ multiple times by fishtailing the car while *********. I've done the same by myself hundreds of times at least and many more times than that while sober. I damn near lost control of a car at 130mph last year when it unexpectedly kicked out and went sideways and got pulled over doing 150mph on I-10 while high on speed a couple months later.

I just have no judgement or impulse control. It's absolute insanity. The autopilot part of my brain is that of a whiney 7 year old spoiled little **** that does anything for short gratification at the expense of absolutely anything.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi rr279, welcome to SR.

Here is some info on AVRT if you're interested. I think it will resonate with you.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ined-long.html (AVRT Explained (long))

I'm like you. I've done pretty much every drug there is to do. I've OD'd on GHB and seen people OD on it plenty of times. It's not a pretty sight. But the danger was part of the thrill.

I've driven home so high on Ketamine that trails were flying by me and I felt like I was in a video game. I'm lucky I'm alive and that I didn't kill someone.

In the end it was alcohol that got me though. I was able to quit drugs as I got older, but alcohol really got it's claws into me and brought me to my knees.

Sounds like you have a lot to lose and that you've made a success of yourself despite your addiction. Also sounds like it would be best for you to quit that sh*t for good, before the bottom falls out. You've come to the right place though, hanging around here will change your thinking about your addiction. For me to finally quit, I had to change my mind, my thoughts and how I relate to them. I had to conquer the enemy from within that always talked me into using again even though rational me knew better.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was thinking, look at all those material things, nice car, inheritance etc, you are obviously no where near as bad as I was with my two plastic rubbish bags of wordly possessions. Sounds like you might be as bad as me when it some to the insanely drunk part.

It just reminded me of an alcoholic friend I once new. Murray had a nice car and an inheritance. He and I got insanely drunk together a few times. He was a bit older than me, early thirties, and the alcohol had damaged his heart. He had a heart attack. Was told to stop drinking, but aside from the compulsory detox that came from hospitalisation for the heart attack, he refused to do anything else. Furthermore he was told any more alcohol would lead to another attack which would likely be fatal.

He got drunk and died. I guess, assuming he was interested in living at all, that he never quite understood the seriousness of his position, and the nature of alcoholism when it has advanced that far. That is to say if he was to survive, he had to do a whole lot more than not drink.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've used SR primarily in my quit. AA in the beginning because I was completely freaked out and needed some one on one. AVRT throughout, SR for daily reminders, reinforcement and venting; crossfit, and sheer determination to get the hell away from drinking for the rest of my life, no matter how low the lows got in sobriety. Monday will be 9 months and I'm now at a point where the fear that I might drink is gone.

More than one way to skin this cat, and you can choose several ways, also recommend keeping an open mind about ALL ways.

Nice work on day one in the bag.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I unfortunately I don’t have much advice for you because I am still very early in my recovery as well. I’ve relapsed several times and I’m starting over and on day 2 like you. This group has helped me through some really rough times. Last year when I started here I was drinking s bottle of vodka a day, smoking weed, I work nights so I was showing up to work drunk almost daily. Like you I was able to “hide it” (so I thought anyway) I worked at a high end salon. Showed up every day looking cute, hair and make up done, dressed nice... stumbling into work in high heels after drinking a few shots before going into work. Now that I think of it I’m sure people knew I was **** faced. Anyway although I’ve swore off hard alcohol I’ve relapsed several times.. saying I’d have a few craft beers at the local brewery but then stopping for a 6 pack on my way home. I feel different about it this time, this time I’m just really sick of drinking, sick of the stupid things I say when I’m drunk, the stupid social media posts, hurting people I love with my agressive drunk behavior and the hangovers. Here’s hoping the best for both of us. Keep checking in here, good luck!
Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Also I saw your post about the PCT trail. I recently moved from a very busy downtown area of California to a small town in the mountains right on the trail. I see the PCT hikers coming through here daily. I’ve often thought how amazing it would be for clearing your head and sobriety. For one it basically forces you into it because to be honest how are you going to get booze? Haha but it’s also beautiful. I’ve only hiked small areas of the trail since I’ve lived here. If financially you are able to take the time off .. which it sounds like you are. It might be a good option for you.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good luck with whatever method you pick. There is no RIGHT way to get sober. But there is an urgency to sticking to sobriety one day at a time. Which method or multiple methods is yours for the choosing. As long as you are breathing, you also get to pick your bottom. The bottom will keep getting uglier and the life you have left to live will also get shorter along with narrowing options. I hope you have firmly chosen your bottom now. Wishing you a hard fought road to recovery that brings you an amazing PART TWO in your life.