Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Feeling Weird (like a fog) 2 days later after a normal night of drinking.

Notices

Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm in college. I'm a smaller guy but could always drink a lot and have gotten maybe 3 hangovers in the past 2 years (I've been able to drink close to a quarter handle in a night). I don't drink during the week, but will drink on Fridays and Saturdays.

Had a drink or three on Friday night (a beer and maybe 4 shots). Woke up Sunday and halfway through the day while awake just started feeling weird like I was in a fog. Have felt that way since (it's Monday night). Any thoughts? I'm pretty sure I'm not an alcoholic bc I never NEED to have a drink and am strict in not drinking during the week, and it's never affected my ability to do anything else. But this "fog" is new. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is very hard on the brain, and binge drinking (which is what you're doing) is even harder on it. It stands to reason that it will begin to fray around the edges after a couple years of what amounts to hitting it with a sledgehammer.

The problem is that the long-term effects of alcohol on the brain are cumulative and irreversible. You can work around the damage to some extent, but those brain cells are dead forever.

Maybe try going without alcohol for 30 days and see how you feel? It's a great myth that alcohol is necessary in order to have a good time.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are there any ways to decrease your tolerance to alcohol so you don't have to drink as much to reach the same feel?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, unfortunately it works the other way -- the more you drink over time, the more resistant you will become to its effects, and you will require more and more to get the same feeling.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest it's the aftereffects of drinking that make you feel 'off'. Best thing to do to make sure you never feel this way again is to never drink again.