Notices

Back on track

Old 05-09-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's what had to happen for me to finally stop, Mtphc. I had 3 yrs. sober & thought I could have 'a glass' of wine. I found out there never would be one drink, no matter how much willpower I tried to summon up. I was gone again - for years - that's when I found SR. I know that time dims the memory of what we went through - but by signing on here every day, I have a constant reminder. I wish I'd written down how I felt - but I was too sick & distraught to think of doing that. It was horrific.

Glad you are free once more.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
No! Don’t feel dumb! Would you feel dumb if you relapsed from cancer? Any other illness?? Addiction is REAL. Very real. Don’t allow yourself to feel dumb and don’t beat yourself up. Having an addiction to alcohol has beaten you up enough. Now you just have to treat yourself kindly. I mean it. After everything, you deserve it.
Thank you Sohard that's true I shouldn't have this pessimistic view on things after all I've been through. I mean really I've been through enough, I have to start anew
Old 05-09-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mtphc View Post
Thank you Sohard that's true I shouldn't have this pessimistic view on things after all I've been through. I mean really I've been through enough, I have to start anew
Yes! You’ve been through enough. And now you get the wonderful opportunity to start life fresh now. Not everyone gets that chance. And, as you know from experience, it will get easier. You’re doing great!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Yes! You’ve been through enough. And now you get the wonderful opportunity to start life fresh now. Not everyone gets that chance. And, as you know from experience, it will get easier. You’re doing great!
Thank you, I really appreciate your words of encouragement
Old 05-09-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Here's what AA's founder Bill Wilson thought about resentments:

"Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick."

Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition p. 64

I found this to be true for me. I had some "impressive" stretches of sobriety but eventually I would return to the insanity of that first drink, and once that happened there was no telling how long I would continue drinking (the last time was for 8 years). Out of desperation I finally worked the steps (my "plan") which deals with resentments by putting them down on paper, analyzing them and then making things right with those involved. It changed everything!

So even for people who don't/won't do AA, I would suggest finding some method for honestly dealing with resentments. It was a HUGE burden lifted off of me when I was able to let go of resentments and clear away the wreckage of the past.
Yes this resentment is something I have to address. I do have an understanding of this I just have I hard time letting go. I really have to sit down and think this through otherwise this cycle will continue
Old 05-09-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mtphc View Post
Yeah it's bad, I'm pretty paranoid about this now. What if someone in my department looks at my chart(HIPPA violation), just to Snoop, that's my fear, even my boss, who knows.
Well, if your boss knows already and hasn't initiated anything, I wouldn't worry. I know it's embarrassing but what your co-workers think doesn't matter especially if your boss already knows.

Your chart is confidential as you know. Its an immediate firing in our company with any intentional hipaa violation. If they are snooping that's pretty low and illegal to boot.

Job protection in the immediate sense matters more than your overall reputation, which can be repaired if it needs to be. I know mine needed to be!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Well, if your boss knows already and hasn't initiated anything, I wouldn't worry. I know it's embarrassing but what your co-workers think doesn't matter especially if your boss already knows.

Your chart is confidential as you know. Its an immediate firing in our company with any intentional hipaa violation. If they are snooping that's pretty low and illegal to boot.

Job protection in the immediate sense matters more than your overall reputation, which can be repaired if it needs to be. I know mine needed to be!
Yeah everything is fine, my boss had been very supportive thus far. It's just this regret that I have, that's the main thing here
Old 05-10-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Regret is a done deal for everyone. I regret things I've done with months of sobriety in the bag, as well as all the alcoholic regret I carry around. I fear it's just a part of being a caring human. But we all make mistakes, what counts is learning from them.

It's good you are sober now.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sorry to hear that Mtphc, glad you are back though. A couple of thoughts:

If you "thought it would be ok to have a drink", I'd suggest that perhaps you were either not following your sobriety plan, or perhaps you did not have one? What do you think you might change moving forward?

Secondly, this is not the first time you've had a horrific binge - do you honestly think you needed yet another to prove it to yourself that you cannot drink? I would suggest you already knew that the last time prior to your 8 months sober.

Both of those thoughts tie very closely back to the concept of acceptance. For me, nothing worked until I accepted unconditionally that drinking even 1 sip of alcohol is never, and will never, be an option for me.
So true, I'm afraid next I will get a heart attack(knock on wood) next time, I truly believe that's how my alcoholism will kill me, through some kind of cardiac event.