Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Dis you quit "all at once" or did you reduce your drinking over time before quitting

Notices
View Poll Results: Did you stop drinking all at once, or did you "fade out" over time?
I quit from progressive drinking in short time (e.g. detox & Therapy, cold turkey)
80.26%
I first substantially leveled down my drinking down over time (e.g. months) before I quit?
19.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Dis you quit "all at once" or did you reduce your drinking over time before quitting

Old 04-13-2018, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everybody,

when browsing this forum I read most of the members (attempting to) quitting their drinking from a progressive drinking behavior within short time to "0", which is usually cold turkey or detox (and therapy). My story is quite different, I reduced my drinking over 18 month before quitting altogether. By reducing I am talking about going from one bottle of liquor to 1 beer a day.

How did you do, even when attempting to quit?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had tried moderation several times and failed, so I knew I wouldn't be able to reduce my drinking bit by bit. Cold turkey was my only option.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also went "cold turkey".

I played about with tapering and moderating for a long time but eventually realised it was a mind game to prolong my drinking!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could never drink moderately.

Went to AA and had the obsession to drink lifted.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I moved to a new location and had every intention of "moderating". And I did, sort of. Cut my drinking in half probably (in frequency, not necessarily amount each time- I was a binge drinker). However at that point blackouts were imminent and even one blackout was enough to wreak serious havoc. I tried to go cold turkey twice and made it to a month each time, which I saw as proof that "I could handle it", so back to it I went. After my last 30 day stint is when things got out of control again in short order. Except worse than before my first attempt.

So honestly I see that the "process" of quitting began a good 9 months for me before it really stuck. Which is why I don't like to just brush people off while they're still playing the start/stop game because at least the seed has been planted.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person, so I had to just stop totally. I drank to get get drunk, not to just have a few and stop for the day.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had been an every day drinker for years. Not even one day off in well over a decade. The decade before that was filled with excess too, but could have had days off here or there.
Same as FBL above, I didn't drink to have a couple. In the end I was just drinking to maintain. Pint of vodka each morning as soon as I woke, then continue through the day. No way I could have cut down, or tapered. One day 7 months ago I quit cold turkey. I had never attempted to before, not once. I knew I should but I didn't want to. I was telling myself I was still 'functional' which was a lie. I ran a business, sure, but the rest was a mess. I ended up here at SR on day three, after googling my withdrawal symptoms. Best thing that ever happened. I have no doubt I'd be drinking again if not for this place.
I am in awe of this: "By reducing I am talking about going from one bottle of liquor to 1 beer a day. " From what I have read in these forums, not many manage that.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Snap Kachal - pint of vodka on waking and another couple of litres through the day for good measure. Then a bottle of wine or 3 at night.

If the cutting down route worked for you TP then good on you and I'm genuinely chuffed that it worked out positively, but I think that most of us had to set the amount to zero from the offing.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I might be one of the few that tapered, simply to avoid the withdrawals. I made it work, but it took a lot of discipline and planning!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think you're one of the few, steve, but "tapering" means different things to different people. Lots of nuance to "tapering."

The results are about half and half right now
Old 04-13-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just stopped. No formal program, just following SR for moral support.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was mentally too weak to quit from the beginning, because alcohol was my way of emotional coping with everything at that time. To do so , I did need frequency but not so much quantity. I was an everyday drinker. For others it seems more easy to quit by a clear cut. I tried to reduce it day by day, two steps ahead, one back and then repeat. Even this took a lot of planning and reflecting,it was not a structured process, only in retrospect it appeared that way.

It was in no way a controlled moderation but a stumbling towards sobriety. I engaged some techniques taken from other areas that really helped me in awareness, and steering myself.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Soberado

I just stopped cold turkey.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The problem I see with the poll as phrased is that it implies that any reduction of drinking before quitting must be planned and deliberate.

I was drinking less often and less in quantity by the time I quit for good, but it certainly wasn't the result of any kind of controlled or disciplined taper.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I could never control my intake....I'm an alcoholic!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cold turkey, followed by a non-medically-assisted detox from hell that went on for days. If I could have controlled my drinking, it would never have been a problem in the first place.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was able to only drink several days a week instead of daily, but I couldn't cut down per session. I couldn't just have a few.

I tried to do tapers several times to avoid withdrawal but I couldnt.

On 9/24 I think I finished off half a handle of whiskey and two bottles of red. 9/25 I drank nothing. I've had nothing since.

'twas rough!!! If I could have done it a gentler way I would have.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would quit for a month here and there. Always start again. Finally decided I was done for good.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I tried both and quitting completely was the only one that worked.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
The problem I see with the poll as phrased is that it implies that any reduction of drinking before quitting must be planned and deliberate.

I was drinking less often and less in quantity by the time I quit for good, but it certainly wasn't the result of any kind of controlled or disciplined taper.
Same here, you are right, it is more a trial and error with bottlenecks in personal capacity and emotional state. But one may use specific tools (I did) to help you, same as in recovery. On the other hand, it would be interesting, if there can a certain method be applied to taper off in preparation to quit for good.

But one thing is for sure: it is not about controlled drinking or continued moderate drinking, it's all abou sobriety. This distinction is so important, since it points your head in a clear direction instead an excuse to drink.