Notices

Paying the piper

Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
It can be hard sometimes to know, what is sobriety and what is something that can be fixed.
That line of thinking can certainly keep you in a negative loop Sassy. By that I mean suggesting that "sobriety" itself is a problem that cannot be fixed. It is quite the opposite actually...getting sober opens the doors to help us fix those other problems. I know i've asked before, but have you considered seeing a counselor/therpist to help you work through some of these issues? Part of the problem is that you may not even know what problem you should be trying to fix in the first place ;-)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I think that a lot of us Alcoholics can be prone to a lot of black n white thinking that can hold us back.

Maybe try thinking in terms of making things gradually better rather than broke of fixed. Where there is life there is hope. Things CAN be made better, but even in sobriety life isn't going to be perfect. Recovery can help us watch for that black n white thinking and stop us from chucking the baby out with the bathwater.

If I'd have waited for a day to come round where I felt energised and well to go to my first meeting I don't suppose I'd ever have got there. That stuff happened when I'd started working for it and not before. Before that I just wished I could disappear from the planet without causing hurt or inconvenience. I don't think I was quite suicidal, but I def didn't really want to live. Now I got this new life that couldn't be further from the truth.

BB
Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sometimes when we're in a rut we tend to see things globally. It's much better to keep things in the present. Perhaps just doing one thing to help yourself? Like go to a meeting.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Sassy,

I wrote this also in the fitness thread but seems to me that you're totally exhausted. I believe this too shall pass...sometimes It's definitely OK to be OK with things not being OK If that makes sense.

Peace and strength to ya.

T.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheToddman View Post
Sassy,

I wrote this also in the fitness thread but seems to me that you're totally exhausted. I believe this too shall pass...sometimes It's definitely OK to be OK with things not being OK If that makes sense.

Peace and strength to ya.

T.
How right you were. four days with no workouts and I was out of bed all day. Exercise addiction, anyone?

Still appreciate everyone's thoughts about getting more help. I sure could use more 3d support.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This week's installment of "I have no idea what to do when I feel terrible if the answer is not 20 beers," by stayingsassy. ..

Yes, six months in, alcohol still never gets considered as an option, and yes I still stumble around with trying to figure myself out.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

You're doing it! That's inspiring to all of us!