Notices

Help

Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

what have you been doing for recovery? any program/plan being worked?
Old 01-08-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Has this happened to anyone else?? Have you been swimming along seemingly just fine in your recovery, or whatever you want to call it, and then gotten hit with a wave which sort of won't leave you?? It's like I'm obsessed with drinking again. Is this what happens? At the same time, I'm scared to drink. Because if I'm obsessed with it when I haven't drank in a month, then that makes me think there is a problem. I'm just confused why it seems to have come back full throttle, even in the morning, which is not a typical time I ever drank. And I'd just like it to go back to the way I felt yesterday morning, before this all started back up again.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
what have you been doing for recovery? any program/plan being worked?
Hi Tomsteve. I've been seeing a therapist and using AVRT for my recovery. It seems - or seemed - to be working. I am not in any way against AA, but for some reason it just doesn't click with me. AVRT did. Not to say that it makes life easy breezy now. AVRT is just something I've been studying and trying to implement.

I'm just in a rut all of a sudden. I'm not sure if this is the mental obsession with drinking or if I'm physically craving it (Is that possible, after 29 days when I wasn't craving it yesterday? Can physical cravings go in and out? I thought once they were out, they were out.). But, I guess what does it matter if it's mental or physical, right? For some reason, if I thought these current cravings were because of some brain imbalance with chemicals which I don't even know then I'd feel better, because then I'd have to believe it's being biologically worked out as we speak - that this is just the steps of recovery. On the other hand, if it's just a mental thing (which feels just as real) then maybe I'll always feel this way, which does NOT make me feel better. To live like this?? I don't even know. So much thought into something so useless.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Sohard, apart from the craving/obsession for a drink being, in my experience, AV: it’s also aided and abetted by the Fading Affect Bias.

Fading Affect Bias
Old 01-08-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

for me it was the mental obsession. craving came once i had a drink. the mental obsessionb was a bugger. drove me bonkers ( or mor bonkers )some days, but i didnt drink.
the mental obsession left with T.I.M.E.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
for me it was the mental obsession. craving came once i had a drink. the mental obsessionb was a bugger. drove me bonkers ( or mor bonkers )some days, but i didnt drink.
the mental obsession left with T.I.M.E.
Well, it's really frustrating that I can't just go pick up T.I.M.E. somewhere. That would be really nice.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Well, it's really frustrating that I can't just go pick up T.I.M.E. somewhere. That would be really nice.
Yes, it is frustrating - as addicts we tend to seek instant gratification in many areas of our life, recovery is no different. One of the hardest things we need to learn is coping skills - how to deal with bad days, family problems, money problems, or just "being in a rut". Our default response as active addicts was to try and run away/hide in a bottle or a pill....but of course the problems are always still there, usually worse actually.

So the real crux of the matter is how do we learn to deal with life, isn't it? That's why everyone keeps talking about "having a plan". Quitting drinking itself is actually pretty easy in comparison. Have you discussed this with your counselor specifically by chance? There are a lot of techniques you could explore ( CBT, mindfulness, meditation, etc ) that help us deal with life and make things a bit more manageable.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Has this happened to anyone else?? Have you been swimming along seemingly just fine in your recovery, or whatever you want to call it, and then gotten hit with a wave which sort of won't leave you?? It's like I'm obsessed with drinking again. Is this what happens? At the same time, I'm scared to drink. Because if I'm obsessed with it when I haven't drank in a month, then that makes me think there is a problem. I'm just confused why it seems to have come back full throttle, even in the morning, which is not a typical time I ever drank. And I'd just like it to go back to the way I felt yesterday morning, before this all started back up again.
We are not machines: recovery, like most things in life, is non-linear, it all moves in cycles. You might be cruising along for a week (‘I got this’), and then suddenly, BAM! , you want a glass of wine at 5 am in the morning. Tomsteve is right, it is a mental obession and it will leave with T.I.M.E.

Just think of what happened as the outburst of the starving AV beast - it is dying, because you are not feeding it and it will use every trick in the book to get you to drink again (‘I am not really an alcoholic’, ‘one glass won’t hurt’, ‘my friend drinks, I don’t want to lose her’, ‘it is so wonderful to sit down with family in the evening and enjoy a few glasses of wine’).
Or think of it as a toddler who is throwing a temper tantrum in the checkout aisle of the supermarket - what do you think will happen if you give in and buy it the lollipop it wanted? Just this one lollipop and then it will never bug you again. right? Yeah, right! And as opposed to the toddler, tomorrow the beast will want TWO lollipops and then - well, you know the rest.
Do a debrief: you did incredibly well yesterday, you’re still sober, so something worked. Continue to build on it - this difficult phase will pass, as it always does, and your AV toddler will retreat. Sure, it’ll be back in a few days or weeks, but weaker than ever before!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

T.I.M.E=
Things I Must Earn

i want it and i want it now,though!!

i dont think id appreciate sobriety if i didnt have to fight and work for it.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Sohard. I understand where you are coming from. Time does not move fast enough. This time I am currently on day 5 but I know it gets better. Like everyone says do anything just don't drink. Stay on here all evening if you have to. I have hardly left the site in 5 days. Take care. It will pass and you will feel good again.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Tomsteve. I've been seeing a therapist and using AVRT for my recovery. It seems - or seemed - to be working. I am not in any way against AA, but for some reason it just doesn't click with me. AVRT did. Not to say that it makes life easy breezy now. AVRT is just something I've been studying and trying to implement.

I'm just in a rut all of a sudden. I'm not sure if this is the mental obsession with drinking or if I'm physically craving it (Is that possible, after 29 days when I wasn't craving it yesterday? Can physical cravings go in and out? I thought once they were out, they were out.). But, I guess what does it matter if it's mental or physical, right? For some reason, if I thought these current cravings were because of some brain imbalance with chemicals which I don't even know then I'd feel better, because then I'd have to believe it's being biologically worked out as we speak - that this is just the steps of recovery. On the other hand, if it's just a mental thing (which feels just as real) then maybe I'll always feel this way, which does NOT make me feel better. To live like this?? I don't even know. So much thought into something so useless.
Hi again, Sohard. I’m not a doctor, but extensive research points to physical cravings dissipating after a week or so. The mental cravings/obsession continue and vary, dependant upon the individual. My mental cravings mostly disappeared at around 90 days and then continued sporadically for a while; had none throughout last summer, then popped up a couple of times at Christmas. BUT they are just mere thoughts, that float on by (as in ooohhhh a glass of mulled wine would be nice - pops into my head) there’s no discomfort, the thought instantly disappears if I don’t engage with it.

Have you googled ‘extinction curve bursts’ as it relates to post-addiction processes? This could be part of what you’re suffering from.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We have all been there, with all of it.

It is so hard (great name BTW).

The thing for me was when I really accepted that I was a compulsive drinker and there was no such thing as one drink. Ever. You seem to know this too, but do you accept it.

When you do, it doesn't matter what you are, why your are, you just know that drinking is not an option.

That was acceptance for me. None of the rest matters. I drink compulsively and will always do so.

That means I don't drink, because the compulsion is always there.

That is my reality and I fully accept it.

So I don't drink. Ever, and I won't change my mind.

And it does get easier. I hardly ever want a drink. Occasionally out of the blue, but even then its not really a carving, just a flash and then its gone.

So you will be fine. You will be great. One day you will realise that you didn't think of it once, then it will be a week, a month, a year. You got this -- I can feel it, but don't give in, never give up!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
We have all been there, with all of it.

It is so hard (great name BTW).

The thing for me was when I really accepted that I was a compulsive drinker and there was no such thing as one drink. Ever. You seem to know this too, but do you accept it.

When you do, it doesn't matter what you are, why your are, you just know that drinking is not an option.

That was acceptance for me. None of the rest matters. I drink compulsively and will always do so.

That means I don't drink, because the compulsion is always there.

That is my reality and I fully accept it.

So I don't drink. Ever, and I won't change my mind.

And it does get easier. I hardly ever want a drink. Occasionally out of the blue, but even then its not really a carving, just a flash and then its gone.

So you will be fine. You will be great. One day you will realise that you didn't think of it once, then it will be a week, a month, a year. You got this -- I can feel it, but don't give in, never give up!
Thank you. I really appreciate your confidence in me and advice.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I'm frustrated because I woke up thinking I'd be relieved and proud - which I was - but I'm also still craving a glass of wine (which is messed up at 8:07am). I assumed that feeling would go away during the night. I'm just trying to remind myself how good those first few weeks sober felt, and how miserable a drinking life is. I think my mind is beginning to forget that, a bit. And even "a bit" is too much. It's amazing how cocky I'll get, thinking "I got this!", but then boom. I'm only 29 days in (thankfully not 1 day, I can't even IMAGINE how badly I'd feel today had I broke), but I'm just ready for it to get easier for a longer period. I just wish I could speed up time, I guess.
its still so early for you, s.h. Its so early that you don't really know what it will be like later. I have cravings too. It helps me that I know it's normal to have them and all I have to do is the next right thing.

So, your cravings are completely expected and normal. And your thoughts now are not what they will be six months from now. Better days lie ahead.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

What helped me a lot was having ice cream. Gave my body the sugar I was craving.....
Peace
TC
Old 01-09-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Sohard! You’re definitely not alone. I can relate to pretty much all of it.. the craving/obsessing, the wanting time to speed up

I have four months and I get the random thoughts “just one glass would be nice.” Wine was my drug of choice too. BUT I have to play the tape through and remember how crappy I will feel if I give in. It seems like you are handling it rather well. Good job removing yourself from the situation.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Sohard. Just wanted to say I really admire what you're doing. Some of us have never made it to a whole month and really think that's amazing

edited to ad: I was with you in spirit on a cold rainy night last night. I opted for hot chocolate instead. Never been into that but it beat the alternative and was pretty good
Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well done sohard. I'm not going to lie, there will be more times like this but you will get through it. Four years ago I was in the same place that you are in right now but I've come through it and my life is amazing now. I am so grateful and happy to be sober that I never want to drink that poison ever again. I rarely think about alcohol now let alone crave it! Be strong and push yourself through to the other side, there are plenty of rewards awaiting you as a sober person.