Notices

Pregnant and scared...

Old 10-11-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant and scared...

I am an alcoholic. A month before I found out I was pregnant I quit drinking and I ended up slipping the night before I found out I was pregnant, about 5 weeks along. I continued to stay sober but at 9 weeks I ended up drinking about 7 vodkas. I woke up the next morning and felt ashamed and guilty for what I had done and decided to continue staying sober for my baby. Then at about 14 weeks I slipped again, having about 10 drinks. I was having horrible arguments with my boyfriend and I ended up drinking. I know it’s no excuse and I feel like a terrible person. Since then I’ve had about 4 other slips consisting of about 7-12 drinks. I am now 26 weeks pregnant and haven’t consumed anything for a few weeks and plan on keeping it that way through this pregnancy for my baby and for myself by attending meetings and seeing my addiction counselor.

With that being said, I can’t help but spend hours researching FAS and what amounts cause it. I don’t know how I would be able to live with the guilt seeing my child suffer for my selfish decisions. I know I still have the rest of my pregnancy to stay sober and I hope that will help make a difference for my child. I also eat fairly healthy and take my vitamin every day.

How can I stop letting these feelings of guilt over binge drinking take over my mind? Has anyone else had slips during pregnancy and if so how did baby turn out? I’m determined to stay on the sober path for my child, I owe it to him.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Read back over your own post, you've answered all your own questions. Forget guilt, whatever's done is done, but you can damage limit for the sake of your, as yet, unborn child, please put a stop to this, please, please stop drinking.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is there any way you can get in a treatment facility to help you stay sober?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hopefully you haven't done serious damage to your unborn baby. Please seek help immediately.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you checked in here. You can't change the past, and worrying about it isn't going to help you or your baby. Focus on making healthy choices moving forward, and don't make drinking an option anymore.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR skittles. As many have said, what's done is done. Concentrating on staying sober and your unborns health moving forward is what you need to focus on. Have you spoken with s doctor or counselor about any of this? It might help to ease your mind.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add my support. Please don't torture yourself about the past. Stay as healthy as you can and talk to the professionals. They may be able to give you some reassurance.

Try and make out a plan that will help you stay sober for the next few months. Get some support from those you feel you can talk to.
Best wishes.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd look into a treatment facility, I think that would be a very good idea. Talk to your doctor about that. Be honest. It's worth it.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am struggling with the same thing. Maybe we can private message and support eachother?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You could go to AA, where there's tremendous support for those in early recovery.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up. At the end of the day you are fighting an addiction and it is beyond hard, pregnant or not.
However just bare in mind that at this stage of your pregnancy if you continue to drink alcohol you baby is likely to be put on a withdrawal program for five to seven days post delivery. The withdrawal for the baby is traumatic. The baby will need to be kept in a calm, dark, quiet room to help him relax whilst withdrawing. For the mother and the staff attending the baby it is hard to watch. You sound like you are going to be a lovely mum so make sure that you get on top of this addiction to save your beautiful little baby unnecessary suffering. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm pregnant and didn't realise until I was about a month in and I was drinking during this time which I hate but I didn't know. I managed to stop once I found out but it has been hard so I understand how you could have slipped. Be honest with your midwife and get yourself some sort of help whether it's meetings or a counsellor or whatever. I wish you and your baby all the best.