Notices

Paws

Old 12-11-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paws

Finding it hard to focus. Working a lot and it takes more brainpower than I have, Christmas stuff, kids always doing stuff and needing things. My house is a wreck but my work stuff isn’t done...at this point its just that I can’t think, I can’t think, my brain goes in and out like a fizzled lightbulb.

Today I’m skipping crossfit for yoga. Deep breathing. Stretching. Stopping my mind for a minute....not like it doesn’t just shut off on its own anyway.

I am foggier and stupider than last month. Post acute withdrawal: it’s not just a theory.

I go on and on here at SR but I’m really just trying to help myself. I’m going to make it. I just can’t do it alone. Thank you for being here.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang on, Sass.

You'll make it. Eat something, yeah?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Eating something with actual nutrition, you mean? (Ugh the holidays)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cookies are nutritious! Pumpkin pie! It's a vegetable!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Cookies are nutritious! Pumpkin pie! It's a vegetable!
Haha I make oatmeal cookies with that justification, works for me
Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My symptoms come and go in waves, but they decrease in intensity and are far less frequent. It'll pass.

Yoga is a REALLY good idea if you're in that state. Will help you get back into your body, into the moment, and focus!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. Been reading your posts SS, and it seems we're in much the same place. I lurk more than post, though. I don't even feel I have the energy to write about things most times. Anyways, keep up the posts, and it truly seems the support is here. Reading your stuff is like reading something I'd write.

We can and will do this!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes me too!
It's the part of this journey most of us don't know about in advance. I seem to have taken a massive mental step back and the fogginess and anxiety are back with a vengeance. Gosh just when I thought I was over the worst.......
Sending an empathetic hug to you xxx
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RunFasterSober View Post
I'm right there with you. Been reading your posts SS, and it seems we're in much the same place. I lurk more than post, though. I don't even feel I have the energy to write about things most times. Anyways, keep up the posts, and it truly seems the support is here. Reading your stuff is like reading something I'd write.

We can and will do this!
It feels better to know I’m not alone. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Yes me too!
It's the part of this journey most of us don't know about in advance. I seem to have taken a massive mental step back and the fogginess and anxiety are back with a vengeance. Gosh just when I thought I was over the worst.......
Sending an empathetic hug to you xxx
Well, and not only us but family and work, too, work I can’t explain anything at all, but it’s not like family understands why months into sobriety I am not as productive. Sigh. Deep breath.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
My symptoms come and go in waves, but they decrease in intensity and are far less frequent. It'll pass.

Yoga is a REALLY good idea if you're in that state. Will help you get back into your body, into the moment, and focus!
Thanks mindful...I thought so too. Carving out my hour for that, today.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are BEYOND not alone.

My last night - or all yesterday more or less - I wallowed in grief, felt numb, mood swings out the wazoo (of course I cried - like 6 times!), was weirdly scared to do anything but watch TV, in the EXACT same position, on the couch, afraid of work the next day, didn't want to sleep, but was tired, was bitchy to my partner, crawling out of my skin, lazy, hazy, lethargic, confused.... etc etc etc.

Just keeping it together, mentally, is like I'm running a marathon. I'm supposed to start training for one of those in about a month! WTF?? With how I currently feel, I just don't know.....

Anyways, restarting therapy Thursday. Although I'm kind of throwing my hands up like, "This person doesn't know me!!! And, what's an hour gonna do???? Ugh!", I'm trying to stay positive about it.

Wow - went off there.

WITH YOU!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are BEYOND not alone.

My last night - or all yesterday more or less - I wallowed in grief, felt numb, mood swings out the wazoo (of course I cried - like 6 times!), was weirdly scared to do anything but watch TV, in the EXACT same position, on the couch, afraid of work the next day, didn't want to sleep, but was tired, was bitchy to my partner, crawling out of my skin, lazy, hazy, lethargic, confused.... etc etc etc.

Just keeping it together, mentally, is like I'm running a marathon. I'm supposed to start training for one of those in about a month! WTF?? With how I currently feel, I just don't know.....

Anyways, restarting therapy Thursday. Although I'm kind of throwing my hands up like, "This person doesn't know me!!! And, what's an hour gonna do???? Ugh!", I'm trying to stay positive about it.

Wow - went off there.

WITH YOU!
Hugs to you dear one. Love your username, by the way...speaks to your goals. I have similar goals myself.

How much sober time do you have? That sober timeline makes a difference, I saw a link once that pegged months 2 through 4 as the worst for paws, in fact it mentioned that the great irony is most rehabs discharge people right when they are most vulnerable, the last drunk isn’t as clear in the mind and the brain is doing major healing. That said....people struggle with this through the first year, sometimes.

Rest assured I will be honestly posting about all of it here. I have to go through it, so I’m going to post it!

Hey are you exercising??? Very, very important to add that, if you are able bodied. It’s as crucial to me as sleep, work, and taking care of family. Have to make time to exercise.

Hope you have a good therapy session! What we feel is normal, and we are going to be okay. I believe it.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I remember. Drink water. Lots of it. Eat healthy foods, get exercise and TRY to sleep.

It just takes time........
Old 12-11-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Avid exerciser. Been for a while (25+ years). Can't believe I actually got it done yesterday, but I was resolved to do so. Typically, I run, but took a step back due to minor back injury sustained during race in October, and because I thought switching it up might help. It has, actually. That's why I identify with you so much, considering all the mentions you make of Crossfit. Haven't gone the Crossfit road yet. There's no place conveniently located, and with kids, commute and all.... you know how it goes. Might jump on the band wagon some day.

Been sober a hair under 2 months. So, its pretty scary to think I'll be going through the worst of it for yet ANOTHER 2 months. I know I can do this. I know WE can do this. I'm so appreciative to have a loving partner, who's super-crazy supportive, and to have found this place. I can't tell you the numerous times I hop on and read EXACTLY what I'm thinking at that very moment on a post.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. Hugs to you as well! Hope the yoga helped. Love me some yoga - especially, power! If you ever want a laugh while yogaing (which is kind of counter-intuitive), but also a super workout, P90X's original YogaX is darn good. I have to admit, its a bit off the true yogic mind path, but its intense and Tony Horton is a hoot.

Bunny211 - Some day I'm going to call myself "sober AF" too!!!! Today, actually!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Hugs to you dear one. Love your username, by the way...speaks to your goals. I have similar goals myself.

How much sober time do you have? That sober timeline makes a difference, I saw a link once that pegged months 2 through 4 as the worst for paws, in fact it mentioned that the great irony is most rehabs discharge people right when they are most vulnerable, the last drunk isn’t as clear in the mind and the brain is doing major healing. That said....people struggle with this through the first year, sometimes.

Rest assured I will be honestly posting about all of it here. I have to go through it, so I’m going to post it!

Hey are you exercising??? Very, very important to add that, if you are able bodied. It’s as crucial to me as sleep, work, and taking care of family. Have to make time to exercise.

Hope you have a good therapy session! What we feel is normal, and we are going to be okay. I believe it.
I would agree with the 2-4 months being the worst. After that time it slowly got better.

Exercise is very important, at least it was for me.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Very helpful thread for me. So tired and weak at times. Still better then drunk. Hugs to all.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awake61 View Post
Very helpful thread for me. So tired and weak at times. Still better then drunk. Hugs to all.
Tired and weak is such a difficult feeling, isn't it? I'm such an energetic person typically. Feeling lethargic brings on the hopelessness for me. BUT, alas, PAWS. Putting a name to the demon today has helped. Hope it helped you too, Awake.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Therapy is a godsend for me. Loved my guy from the minute I met him. Recommended by my IOP therapist and he hit all four of my requests. Gay. Male. Works in recovery. Takes insurance.

The fact that he/she doesn’t know you is a good thing. You want someone who can be objective and on whom you can project people on the past that you had bad juju with and get rid if it. We are combining fourth step with our work together, which is good because I can’t deal with Aa/CA right now.

Avid exerciser. Been for a while (25+ years). Can't believe I actually got it done yesterday, but I was resolved to do so. Typically, I run, but took a step back due to minor back injury sustained during race in October, and because I thought switching it up might help. It has, actually. That's why I identify with you so much, considering all the mentions you make of Crossfit. Haven't gone the Crossfit road yet. There's no place conveniently located, and with kids, commute and all.... you know how it goes. Might jump on the band wagon some day.
I did a three hour workout on Friday. Started a cold on Saturday, and haven’t been to the gym since. I need those endorphins. Plus I need to build my muscle daddy and lower body fat self.

Sober AF. I like that. I want it on a t-shirt.

I saw this t-shirt that totes cracked me up, but I can’t find it. Not my personality or vibe, but it’s so outrageous I need it in my life. Maybe combine them on a custom.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gay+...DmZXFyC-NWgMM:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Been sober a hair under 2 months. So, its pretty scary to think I'll be going through the worst of it for yet ANOTHER 2 months. I know I can do this. I know WE can do this. I'm so appreciative to have a loving partner, who's super-crazy supportive, and to have found this place. I can't tell you the numerous times I hop on and read EXACTLY what I'm thinking at that very moment on a post.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. Hugs to you as well! Hope the yoga helped. Love me some yoga - especially, power! If you ever want a laugh while yogaing (which is kind of counter-intuitive), but also a super workout, P90X's original YogaX is darn good. I have to admit, its a bit off the true yogic mind path, but its intense and Tony Horton is a hoot.

Bunny211 - Some day I'm going to call myself "sober AF" too!!!! Today, actually!!!
That yoga teacher was NOT kidding around. Jeez. It was 90 minutes of power yoga and I am a crossfit person, so she was like “you haven’t done much yoga have you? Square those hips! This is quite the learning curve for you!” I wanted to say hey lady, you’re tougher than the xfit box, lighten up I’m having a hard day!! Lol. Loved the meditation at the end though.