Notices

Caught myself judging

Old 10-22-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caught myself judging

Tonight we went to a celebration of our son's football season. Some of the dads ordered beers immediately after walking into the pizza place, and kept drinking throughout dinner. I found myself pondering why they were so eager to drink in a celebration of 10-year-olds.

But I caught myself: after all, it was me that used to slug back vodka from a Gatorade bottle I'd stashed in my purse before even going to such events--and go to the restroom a few times to slug back more.

A couple of guys having a few beers together? Normal. My previous behavior? Alcoholic.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A couple of years sober and in a new job I went with some trepidation to my first sales conference. I had heard all these stories of boozy goings on. I needn't have worried. Certainly there was plenty of drinking in the evenings, but these guys just didn't drink like I drank. The boss seemed to drink a lot but when I watched him, while his glass moved to his mouth a lot, mostly he was blowing bubbles in it.
It was fun and social, and I enjoyed it.

The AA book talks about finding ways to increase the enjoyment of others at such events. I did that by being the sober driver, so when the guys wanted to go out on the town after business, I drove them. I had a lot of fun.

AA sobriety has meant being able to be out in the mainstream of life without fear.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
A couple of years sober and in a new job I went with some trepidation to my first sales conference. I had heard all these stories of boozy goings on. I needn't have worried. Certainly there was plenty of drinking in the evenings, but these guys just didn't drink like I drank. The boss seemed to drink a lot but when I watched him, while his glass moved to his mouth a lot, mostly he was blowing bubbles in it.
It was fun and social, and I enjoyed it.

The AA book talks about finding ways to increase the enjoyment of others at such events. I did that by being the sober driver, so when the guys wanted to go out on the town after business, I drove them. I had a lot of fun.

AA sobriety has meant being able to be out in the mainstream of life without fear.
I absolutely agree, Gottalife. I have found that "boozy" events aren't even that boozy--no one is getting smashed like I always was. They're barely drinking, compared to what I used to glug down my throat.

And I love the idea of choosing to increase the enjoyment of others. Having limited experience with AA, I'd never heard that before. So true-- thank you for sharing so succinctly.

Being the driver is a great way to do it-- at a girls' weekend a couple months ago, I announced that I wasn't drinking and would happily drive everyone about town. I meant it, but I was REALLY happy afterwards, when they were happy (in a normal drinking way) AND I was sober... and therefore very, very happy. Lots of happy

I learn something new (or discover new thinking I didn't previously have words for) every time I visit SR--which, by the way, is still daily. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good post, FindingMyNext. I have found it very interesting- and affirming of my decision to be sober- to observe people's healthy and unhealthy behavior with alcohol.

Catching ourselves judging others is really important. As my sponsor says "getting back in our own lane" is what we need to do!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was out of town with my wife this past weekend and we stopped into a bar/restaurant for dinner.

Their were many college aged kids drunk, loud and obnoxious watching the football games.

It bothered me but I tried not to judge; years ago I was the same way.

Just cause I needed to change it doesn't mean everyone else has to.