View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FindingMyNext

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
A couple of years sober and in a new job I went with some trepidation to my first sales conference. I had heard all these stories of boozy goings on. I needn't have worried. Certainly there was plenty of drinking in the evenings, but these guys just didn't drink like I drank. The boss seemed to drink a lot but when I watched him, while his glass moved to his mouth a lot, mostly he was blowing bubbles in it.
It was fun and social, and I enjoyed it.

The AA book talks about finding ways to increase the enjoyment of others at such events. I did that by being the sober driver, so when the guys wanted to go out on the town after business, I drove them. I had a lot of fun.

AA sobriety has meant being able to be out in the mainstream of life without fear.
I absolutely agree, Gottalife. I have found that "boozy" events aren't even that boozy--no one is getting smashed like I always was. They're barely drinking, compared to what I used to glug down my throat.

And I love the idea of choosing to increase the enjoyment of others. Having limited experience with AA, I'd never heard that before. So true-- thank you for sharing so succinctly.

Being the driver is a great way to do it-- at a girls' weekend a couple months ago, I announced that I wasn't drinking and would happily drive everyone about town. I meant it, but I was REALLY happy afterwards, when they were happy (in a normal drinking way) AND I was sober... and therefore very, very happy. Lots of happy

I learn something new (or discover new thinking I didn't previously have words for) every time I visit SR--which, by the way, is still daily. Thank you!