Notices

Starting now, I think.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's also weird bc for the first time since quitting, I feel nauseous. I don't know why. But, I'm sure alcohol would help that. But, I'm not planning to drink, it's just something weird I didn't at all anticipate feeling this afternoon. It's like a wave.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Sohard,
You're doing well - 5 days is awesome! Think of how pleased you will be when you have a week in the bag, then 10 days, then two weeks...

I'd like to refute your notion that you may as well go to your sister's today in order to challenge yourself. This, followed by your notion that alcohol would surely treat your ailments from yesterday, sounds exactly like something I'd say/think when setting myself up for a fail.

Why not just skip this wine occasion and hold off until you're more stable with sobriety?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
I really appreciate the support. So, I made it one night. It's a start I guess.
That's terrific! It is DEFINITELY a start. We all started at just one day.

One thing I did at the beginning, in large part to help the first days pass, was sleep a lot, and watch Netflix or recorded TV (my attention span was very short- I quit Feb 21, 2016 and I remember by around April rewatching some shows I did at the start, and realizing I had probably only "registered" half of the shows!!). Taking care of ourselves- being gentle, hydrating a LOT, eating healthy things (or just eating, which was what I needed to do) - all is not only OK but what your mind and body needs, IME.

Stay close here, as Dee said - maybe check out the Newcomers Daily Support Thread and join the class of Oct 2017 (you just have to start posting to join- my Feb 2016 class became a great little group and super place to share with people along the same timeline as me)....and IME, begin a program of action- AA was another "time filler" at the beginning, just the act of going- and it became my true path to a life in recovery.

Take care - day 2!
Old 10-14-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Feeling strong! I think the strangest thing is wrapping my mind around who I am/will be. I had to have major knee surgery 2 years ago, and I had to work my butt off to get back to how I used to be. It was easy, though, to work hard bc I knew what I was working towards. It is strange to be working so hard now but not knowing what the end result is. I mean, I've never been a sober adult. I don't even know who she is, who I am, I guess. Nonalcoholics clearly grow into their adult selves gradually. At 41, this feels like a majorly delayed development issue I hadn't even been aware I had. Anyway, just some thoughts I was having.

I was your age when I stopped. For me it a new experience and too was scared of who this new sober me might be. What the misery of living without alcohol would be. How could I make friends sober? How could I deal with stress and lifes challenges sober?

I took it a day at a time, got help from here and from AA. Turns out my sober self is quieter than the old drinking me. More patient. Calmer. More considerate and loving. Looks for the best in people, and is less judgey than the old me. She's okay. I don't mind being her at all most of the time. I thought my old brasher, louder, pushier, more 'out there' self was strong. A tough old bird, but with a soft heart in there somewhere (after all, I felt sorry enough for myself!! lol). Now I realise that I was just kinda hard and brittle. Acting tough but mostly just guarded and defensive. It seems unlikely, but this softer and more gentle me seems to have more strength than before. Weird. And mostly I get to have and keep my integrity as well - that's a first!!

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. Enjoy peling off the layers and discovering who is underneath them. No rush.

BB