Notices

Ambien and sobriety

Old 09-06-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ambien and sobriety

I still take Ambien (as prescribed). Last night I stayed awake after taking it and sent some weird text messages. I'm seriously considering giving it up because it reminds me too much of alcohol (blacking out). I also look forward to taking it more than I should.

Thoughts?

Suggestions for what I can take instead?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's something you will definitely need to talk with your doctor about leana, we can't give medical advice here. Absolutely talk with your doctor before quitting too, there can be serious consequences for quitting any drug cold turkey.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I forgot about not asking for medical advice. Sorry. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue with Ambien.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my only experience with ambien is when i was my mothers caregiver. her dimentia was getting bad and she was experiencing sundowners syndrome.
i gave it to her one night and that was it. it was bad enough the dimentia was getting worse, but seein her completely out of it and uncontrollable was horrible.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks tomsteve. I'm sorry you went through that. It's definitely a weird drug. I also used to be addicted to benzos and Ambien is a bit too close for comfort.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've taken Ambien as prescribed for years with no issues, but then I never deliberately try to stay awake after taking it, and my intent in using it is only to assist my brain in accomplishing what it seems unable to do naturally (fall asleep). This is only as a last resort after all non-medical approaches have been exhausted.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Andante. I didn't try to stay awake - it just sort of happened. I think I'm going to try to taper and transition to Benadryl or maybe Passionflower root.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan, leanabeana. Sleep well!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Calms by Hyland (homeopathic), deep breathing tea by yogi, cardio workout and natural calm was my "all natural" tonic when I quit smoking weed and couldn't sleep.

Now just a good run and the natural calm are enough.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

If you are taking any other prescription drugs, please check with your pharmacist before adding any herbal supplements - some of them interact poorly with medications.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post
Thanks Andante. I didn't try to stay awake - it just sort of happened. I think I'm going to try to taper and transition to Benadryl or maybe Passionflower root.
That may be a good plan but please do check with your prescribing doctor before changing the dose or adding anything else to the mix.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I see him next week so I will ask. Oddly enough he isn't concerned about Ambien even though I've overdosed on it 3 times.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've taken ambien before with mixed results. The psychiatrist that I have now refuses to prescribe ambien because of the sleep walking issues that people have had with ambien.

Without giving medical advice I can only tell you my experience and what works with me with my insomnia issues in sobriety. I take trazodone and it's been getting the job done for me the past 2 years.

My psychiatrist started me off on 50 mg of trazodone. Didn't work too well. Then 100 mg. Still didn't work too well. Then 150 mg. That worked perfectly. I take it 1 hour before I go to bed.

Trazodone is an antidepressant that is used widely for insomnia. Doctors actually prescribe it the majority of times for insomnia, not depression.

Another thing I like about trazodone is it doesn't have the unpleasant side effects that other antidepressants do. The two most important side effects to me that I don't have to worry about is weight gain and impotency. Trazodone doesn't cause those two terrible side effects.

My psychiatrist said trazodone is safe and is actually safer than taking diphenhydramine (benadryl).

I'm a big believer in listening to your body. Hope this helps!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

one thing that concerns me:
addiction. chasing something like addicts do. trying to find the magic combo.
iirc,youve been sober about 2 months? drinking causes sleep problems.
it takes time for a body-and mind-to get used to no alcohol or drugs. dont think i hadda descent nights sleep for about 3 months,even after an 8 hour day of framing houses.
but eventually i started sleeping good.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oddly enough he isn't concerned about Ambien even though I've overdosed on it 3 times.
It is probably time to find a different doctor to be honest.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I agree with Scott. Not all doctors are created equal, for certain.

My experience with trazodone has also been good. For the first time I can recall in many many years (pre-dating active alcohol addiction) that I've been able to sleep through the night without my thoughts racing, trying to solve impossible riddles, etc.

The psychiatrists assured me this medication was not addictive. Further, they told me I would know when to reduce then eliminate the dose based on how I feel in the morning. If I'm groggy, time to talk with them about next steps.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Trazodone doesn't work for me. It clogs up my nose and makes me drowsy beyond belief the next day. I've pretty much exhausted all my options with my pdoc and that's why he keeps me on Ambien.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've pretty much exhausted all my options with my pdoc and that's why he keeps me on Ambien.
If he's continually prescribing something he knows you've overdosed on multiple times, he's not doing his job. Or at least he's not getting/recommending the help you really need. I'd highly recommend getting a second opinion.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. My GP is against me taking Ambien, but my pdoc just really wants me to sleep and we've tried everything else.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

how long have you had sleep problems,leana?
this comment:
"Oddly enough he isn't concerned about Ambien even though I've overdosed on it 3 times."

is rather concerning and reason for post #14.