Notices

Made a decision about the future

Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a decision about the future

I initially got sober with the thought that eventually I would drink socially again. A glass of beer as an appetiser before a meal, a pint with friends in the pub...

But now I am this far in - and at the point where I am 99% sure it wouldn't harm me to have the odd beverage - I just don't see the point. Drinking again is all risk and no reward.
Even if I only have a 1% chance of a relapse, they are still odds I don't like.

I am having more fun right now than I have in years. I am now a person I'm comfortable being and I am doing things I enjoy. I'm sure life is going to try to spoil all that soon enough, but it's going to meet sober me, who isn't someone who is going to give up and retreat into a vodka bottle.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go Machinist Guy! You sound centered and amazing!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good going! Sounds like to are doing well!! Keep it up!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MachinistGuy View Post
But now I am this far in - and at the point where I am 99% sure it wouldn't harm me to have the odd beverage
I think you've made a great decision Machinist Guy - both by stopping in the first place, as well as deciding to stay completely abstinent.

I would take a very long hard look at your thoughts expressed above though. That's exaclty what your addiction would like you to think. Hey - i'm doing fine now so an occasional beer wouldn't hurt, right?

Take a few minutes to remember where you were because of your drinking just weeks ago. A couple of threads you might want to take a look at are pasted below. We can never go back to "a drink now ant then"...once you cross the threshold there's no return to "regular" drinking.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pse-maybe.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cirrhosis.html
Old 08-18-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MachinistGuy View Post
But now I am this far in - and at the point where I am 99% sure it wouldn't harm me to have the odd beverage - I just don't see the point.
I would examine this thought. In my experience, things didn't go so well when I started going back to thinking I had control over alcohol.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Scott - Thanks, I know that was me who wrote those two threads but I don't recognise myself now. I needed reminding of that.
I know just enough about recovery to recognise the danger of complacency, it's always in the back of my mind.
I couldn't have gotten this far without help. I only log in here if I have something to share but I read the forums almost every day. People who might not even know I exist have given me strength and I've been willing on those members who have been fighting their battles.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great decision machinistguy

D
Old 08-19-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are doing great. I'd keep going til you are 100% sure drinking again would kill you.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Lotta truth...

otta truth in the saying,'If the wheel ain't broken,don't fix' neither yours, mine or anyone else's sobriety is in desperate need of a blacksmith or mechanic. Just keep on rolling along and enjoying your life!