Notices

When the urge hits

Old 07-04-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When the urge hits

So frustrated this morning, sitting here with a dry mouth and unclear head. Things were going along great, until they weren't. Yesterday was a productive day, completing several yard and house tasks. Had one more to do and lacked the motivation to do it. Then it hit. A couple of beers would certainly give me that extra pep to finish this last task. I knew it was the wrong thing to do, but I did it anyway. Five minute trip to the grocery store for a six-pack. And yes, as expected, it gave me the energy to finish the job. And yes, as expected, a couple of beers turned into the whole six-pack, and a second trip to a different store, this one twenty minutes away, for another six-pack. Drank one on the drive home, and two more afterwards. With very little food on the stomach, the productive day ended with me passed out on the couch. The remaining three beers will go down the sink this morning, and I'll start over today.

What do you guys do when the urge hits like a ton of bricks? I knew what was going to happen, but the thought of those first couple of beers overwhelmed any other logical thought in my head. Interested in some strategies for dealing with this the next time it happens. Thanks
Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

I used to do all of my chores and reward myself with a beer. Sames as you, drank the 6 then drove drunk to get more. Drank those too. Didnt buy a 12 pack at beginning trying to moderate. I could never moderate once I started.

And the guilt the next day, the shame, feeling like crap. It was my greatest love and my biggest weakness, alcohol.

I stopped just about a year ago. I realized not drinking at all was the only way. It was impossible to moderate. I could not control it or myself.

It was hard breaking the habit, giving up something I really loved, but I did it.

My thinking has changed, I do not see alcohol as a reward anymore. It isnt the pinnacle of a successful life. It doesnt prove "I have made it". or job "well done", or I "deserve it".

Alcohol was interfering in my life, it was making me depressed, it was a source of guilt and shame for me. I am so much happier free of that weight.

My best advice to you is stop. Read here. Change your routine, give it 6 months and you will see how truly freeing it is to be away from it.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
So frustrated this morning, sitting here with a dry mouth and unclear head. Things were going along great, until they weren't. Yesterday was a productive day, completing several yard and house tasks. Had one more to do and lacked the motivation to do it. Then it hit. A couple of beers would certainly give me that extra pep to finish this last task. I knew it was the wrong thing to do, but I did it anyway. Five minute trip to the grocery store for a six-pack. And yes, as expected, it gave me the energy to finish the job. And yes, as expected, a couple of beers turned into the whole six-pack, and a second trip to a different store, this one twenty minutes away, for another six-pack. Drank one on the drive home, and two more afterwards. With very little food on the stomach, the productive day ended with me passed out on the couch. The remaining three beers will go down the sink this morning, and I'll start over today.

What do you guys do when the urge hits like a ton of bricks? I knew what was going to happen, but the thought of those first couple of beers overwhelmed any other logical thought in my head. Interested in some strategies for dealing with this the next time it happens. Thanks

I had the urge to drink today too. I worked out and then had some things to do but then I said no. I want to quit and I know it's bad for me. Got a high liver test a few months back.
I can't tell you what to do but I said, no **** you booze. Here I sit on a Tuesday night not drinking and happy I'm not.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is exactly why you always hear people talk about "having a plan" around here. An "urge" is simply a thought in your mind. You have to consciously make a decision as to how you are going to react to it. Sometimes you can just ignore it or dismiss it. If you can't, that's where having the plan becomes very important. For example, if AA is your plan, you can call one of your numbers and someone can help you through it. You could also log on here at that moment and use the forums or the chatrooms or forums. Or if you use AVRT you could remind yourself that it's just your AV talking. Those are just a few examples, but they are all illustrations of planning ahead and practicing that plan BEFORE the urges/cravings/stressors hit...because they always will.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me eating or drinking something n/a of course. I don't generally drink coke but love it so drink and eat some of your favorite things as a reward.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
I used to do all of my chores and reward myself with a beer. Sames as you, drank the 6 then drove drunk to get more. Drank those too. Didnt buy a 12 pack at beginning trying to moderate. I could never moderate once I started.

And the guilt the next day, the shame, feeling like crap. It was my greatest love and my biggest weakness, alcohol.

I stopped just about a year ago. I realized not drinking at all was the only way. It was impossible to moderate. I could not control it or myself.

It was hard breaking the habit, giving up something I really loved, but I did it.

My thinking has changed, I do not see alcohol as a reward anymore. It isnt the pinnacle of a successful life. It doesnt prove "I have made it". or job "well done", or I "deserve it".

Alcohol was interfering in my life, it was making me depressed, it was a source of guilt and shame for me. I am so much happier free of that weight.

My best advice to you is stop. Read here. Change your routine, give it 6 months and you will see how truly freeing it is to be away from it.
well said!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in recovery and got the urge to drink, I would walk my dogs. We got exercise, fresh air, and sunshine, and by the time we came home, the urge was gone.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eat, go for a walk, get outside, read, come here to SR, keep yourself busy...ride the wave until it passes. It WILL pass!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, I finally hurt enough to ask for help.

I went through a treatment program and have done what they told me to do (AA) and I have had a very rewarding life.

AA prepares me for compulsions to drink, romanticizing alcohol, etc.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Put it in perspective. Is one chore worth your sobriety? What to you want more? A sober life without the awful feelings you're having right now...or one chore? The addicted brain will latch onto any excuse to drink.

Look into Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT). That helped me tremendously with situations like that.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm early in sobriety, so I rely on a drug called Antabuse to take giving in off the table. Some of its side effects are annoying though... I think it's causing me some brain fog and lethargy.

One thing is for certain. I never want to drink again.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post

Sorry to be captain obvious but, you found the energy to go to the store? Redirect, we have to redirect our energy into doing Gods will and not our own. We need to want to stay sober more than we want to drink.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I felt that urge, that craving, that desire these last 5 days. I just sat with it, let it be, observed it. I can have those feelings and not act on them. It was frustrating at times and I allowed myself to feel kind of sad that I'll never have that buzz again. I'll never feel that camaraderie with a group of other drinkers and let loose and party like that again. I'm allowed to feel that way, it doesn't mean that my recovery method isn't working or that I'm going to drink again. It means that I'm human and that I've given something up that was a big part of my life and that it's not always going to be easy and that's OK.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great ideas here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 07-04-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Soberado

Originally Posted by HTown View Post

Jeez this was my life and routine too, never bought enough upfront always back to the store, everything/event was a reason to drink for me. Anyway what helped me with the early on cravings was drinking water and always having some sort of candy on hand, the sugar at least for me seemed to buffer the cravings.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, glad you came here and posted. I know it sounds like a cliche, but playing the tape through really does help. Think about the way you are feeling right now and remember that the next time the urge to drink hits. I I shine how I would feel knowing I gave up my sober time, and also how awful a hangover feels.

I'm not sure what your recovery plan looks like, it Dee has a great link, I will find it and post it below.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here you go:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 07-05-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I appreciate the support. Should mention that I'm old enough to know better as I've been chasing my tail for 35 years now, since that first sip of alcohol at age 18. Love/hate as you all know so well. Somehow managed to keep a semblance of a life together, but always knowing that the potential was there to do so much more. Cleaned out the system yesterday. Starting with a clear head again today. Nutrition, exercise, SR, let's get er done. Love you guys!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My urges tend to hit when driving past my wine and beer stops either on the way home from work or school.. Saturday night I no longer pass the bar, I take the long way. I have had full on panic attacks while just trying to drive straight and not turn right to go to the wine store. It hurts but I know from past experience that giving in just prolongs it, and that the only way out of this is through it. Just face it, be uncomfortable for a little while, and each time you ignore the craving, it gets weaker and weaker. Your nervous system no longer freaks out because it realizes everything is going to be okay if you don't drink.

Everyone else says do something else, stay busy.. in those early days when I am still having acute withdrawal symptoms (72 hour land) I have no interest in doing anything else. Controlling the urge has my whole attention. And I don't want to go back to that.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
quat

The best tip for handling urges or cravings is to Quit. Decide that you are never going to drink again and not change your mind. You have to be in a mindset that you are no longer trying to get or want to be sober, but that you are done drinking for good , no matter what.
With that mindset when urges come they are ignored, the choice of indulging the desire has been removed, by your decision to not drink ever again. The more you ignore the urges, the less frequently they recur and the weaker they become.
Without the decision , the urges are going to have to be 'endured' with the hope they won't persuade you to return to drinking, with the decision that outcome will never happen . With the decision ignoring them and not resisting or fighting against them is not only the appropriate course of action but ultimately the easiest.
35 years is more than enough proof to see being a quitter as the best option, yeah? Rootin for ya