Notices

I feel bad for my friends.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Re: I feel bad for my friends

I believe it was Earl Nightingale who said: “We become what we think about”. How true.

And if we hang around the drinking hole long enough, we can easily fall in, and that's just for starters.

What seems abundantly clear now that your little experiment is over, hopefully, is the growing misconceptions around active users. And this is where is starts to get a little hazy for me. If you’re willing to accept anything as half-truths then you will never be able to satisfy your own desires. Trust me, I know.

And if fitting in makes you an expert at doing what other people want instead of doing what we know is right, then what can be said of our traditions. It doesn’t say much does it. I’d rather hang with kinder, gentler people anyway then to through caution to the wind, but that’s just me.

I’ll hope you can do the same. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

Since the counting and amount of days seems very important to your AV, load up on post ITs and write" day 2 " on one every morning and slap it on the fridge.
Decide you are quit , take drinking as an option off the table for good and slap a postit up every day, day2 is a good concept/place to be , didn't drink the day before and day3 is a nondrinking 'day' ahead. Pretty soon your AV will get the idea that you don't 'now' whenever that now is and since you keep telling IT that it's day2 , a concept IT can handle, now will be all the nows you live through.
The post-it method can't 'trick' you into making the decision to quit, that you have to commit to consciously and full heartedly, it's just a silly way to deride that voice counting days in your head.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
Thank you all so much for replying. Lots of really great advice. I'm not doing very well at the moment and my recovery is just not happening. I'm finding it really difficult to go any longer than 3 days before succumb to drink. It's so frustrating, I know I'm doing it and I know it's wrong but I can't stop. I woke up this morning and I could not even remember what I watched on television. I feel tired, miserable and so unhealthy. I have put weight on, im lethargic, depressed and have zero motivation.

Sorry about the self loathing. I'm most definitely in a rutt at the moment. I'm not going to stop trying, I will dig deep and keep the faith.
Thanks for your honesty, amigo.

Most of us have been that way and felt that way.

After way too many years of enduring that kind of misery, I simply gave up and asked for help.

I surrendered, got great help and have done what I learned to be the antidote for my drinking problem ever since.

I don't feel the way you do anymore.

And you don't have to, either.

I hope that you surrender, too, and that you get the help you need.

I suspect that's why you're on this forum.

We want you to not drink anymore and for you and your life to get better.

We don't need any pledges and we don't want any money.

Please take the next step to achieving a lasting sobriety.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
Thank you all so much for replying. Lots of really great advice. I'm not doing very well at the moment and my recovery is just not happening. I'm finding it really difficult to go any longer than 3 days before succumb to drink. It's so frustrating, I know I'm doing it and I know it's wrong but I can't stop. I woke up this morning and I could not even remember what I watched on television. I feel tired, miserable and so unhealthy. I have put weight on, im lethargic, depressed and have zero motivation.

Sorry about the self loathing. I'm most definitely in a rutt at the moment. I'm not going to stop trying, I will dig deep and keep the faith.
For me I had to work as hard on my sobriety as I used to on my drinking

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ommitment.html

Why not join the 'Class of July' support thread?
Post at least every day, if not more than that

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-one-8.html
Old 07-09-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I agree with Dee, recovery isn't about stopping something, it's about doing something different, and doing it real hard.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sleepy

If they can't support you in this, they're not real friends.