Notices

Random acts of kindness

Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Random acts of kindness

Hello. I graduated from school and I went to the supermarket, bought two giftcards, and placed them in cards. I wrote thank you notes to two women in the school's office who do a lot of work. It felt odd to think about their efforts and then go out to do something for them.

I am two years sober and I think about other people more these days. I appreciate what they do and how people usually work together to accomplish great things.

Did anyone begin to think more about others as you progressed in your recovery?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what a lovely thing to do, Acheleus!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Acheleus, your post made my day!

What a wonderful act of kindness.

I'll bet those two ladies were touched by your thoughtfulness.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats nice. The people in the background can often be forgotten. And yes. Little things. Like popping some cold cans of soda out to the guys tarmacing the road near my house when the weather was steaming. Or, when I bought a pack of cakes from the charity baking stall on the market (and really I should only eat one anyway, and knew what would happen if I took a whole plate home with me) distributing them to the market traders and the lady in the shoe shop who had been looking a little low recently. I know for sure that I got far more from those cakes and soda by giving them than I could ever have got by having them to myself. Same can be said of smiles. I used to always wait for someone else to initiate a smile. Nowadays I make eye contact and smile, and if people don't reciprocate, really I haven't lost anything. Its worth it for the few times some surly, shy, or sad face lights up in response. In the past I'd have been far too fearful of what others might think of me, or of people taking advantage of my kindness (haha, I'm not that kind now, let alone back when I was drinking). After all, love is only love when it expects nothing in return (including gratitude). Once it has an expectation attached it isn't love any more, it's a bargaining tool. I lean on God throughout my day, and it's His love and grace that sees me through each day. The way I look at it is we can put ourselves on the edge of that love and grace, or we can immerse ourselves in it by acting as conduits for His love and grace by passing them on to others, including strangers and even people who are unlikely to give it back (our enemies if you like). It's a choice I have every day, and when I have the humility to do this my life has a different quality to it.

I definitely see this as one of the gifts of recovery. After all, it's right there slap bang in the middle of the AA promises for recovery. '...We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away...'.

Ohhh. Now I have that Magic Penny song in my head! Lol

Wishing you all the best for your continuing recovery. BB

Love is something if you give it away,
Give it away, give it away.
You end up having more.

It's just like a magic penny,
Hold it tight and you won't have any.
Lend it, spend it, and you'll have so many
They'll roll all over the floor.

For love is something if you give it away,
You end up having more.

Money's dandy and we like to use it,
But love is better if you don't refuse it.
It's a treasure and you'll never lose it
Unless you lock up your door.

You end up having more.

So let's go dancing till the break of day,
And if there's a piper, we can pay.
You end up having more.

You end up having more.

Malvina Reynolds

Old 07-10-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

That is really cool. Such a reversal of the old self centered alcoholic personality can only be regarded as evidence of a spiritual awakening. In other words, that's the magic of AA
Old 07-11-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Frequently..especially the homeless and those who really make an effort to improve their lot in life...who struggle, perhaps. Reality is a harsh teacher. Tolerance, understanding and empathy- not always welcomed, but necessary.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great thread! When I was alcoholic the only person I thought of was myself. Even when I thought I was thinking of others, it was done for selfish motives--to feel better about myself.

Yesterday while driving, I yielded the right of way to two trucks waiting a long time to turn. The day before, I helped a woman from out of state who was lost get to her destination. A year ago, I wrote a note to a childhood neighbor about how much I appreciated her warm greetings and kind words. Today I am sending a thank you and apology card to a nurse from my doctor's office.

I have a friend who teaches positive psychology. Random acts of kindness is part of it. It has a rippling affect, too.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I admire your generosity very much.

Everything you give away you get back.

To answer your question about wanting to give to others more and more as we get and stay sober, it has been something I feel compelled to do everyday, one way or another.

I try hard to look for opportunities to make a difference.

I view everything my wife and I have as something we received from God that he wants us to use in a stewardship capacity.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What a nice thing to do. Early in my recovery I started practicing gratitude and acts of kindness. It makes me feel better about myself and the world around me.