Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How long before you can say "I don't drink" rather than "I don't drink anymore"?

Notices

How long before you can say "I don't drink" rather than "I don't drink anymore"?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I say I don't drink but I know I'm fully capable of drinking again. For me alcoholism will be a life long struggle that I treat on a daily basis. As long as I work an active program of recovery I will not drink but alcohol is always telling me I'm fixed and can just go one with my life. While this my be true I'm not willing to take the risk. There are many things I do to maintain my sobriety and so far they have worked very well. Not only am I sober but my life is pretty darn good.

Wow!!!!! This may be the best post I've ever read on this forum! Speaks volumes for me. I don't come here as much anymore but in my early recovery period, I spent countless hours reading everything.

Im at a point where I am very comfortable with my sobriety and have no problem talking about it.

But my AV has been acting up lately, making me feel like I could probably handle one beer every so often. However, my actual brain knows this is impossible. My past is proof.

Again thanks for your post I'm going to safe it and read it often.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Depends who I'm talking to, I guess. To just about everyone including myself, I just don't drink. To an old friend who knows me from my drinking days, but doesn't know the story, it might be, I don't drink anymore. I don't really spend any time worrying about the distinction, but "anymore" obviously implies that I used to drink, and I normally have no reason to add that bit of information that very few people care about.
I think you are right. I suppose the "anymore" part is for the benefit of people that knew me when I was drinking alcohol.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I kinda thought you meant thinking about it in your own head.
Exactly this. I don't really have any intention of having that conversation with anyone, but if it comes up I'm happy to tell them the truth, that I've realised that there are far more advantages of not drinking alcohol. Bright mornings are more appealing to me than dark nights.