Notices

Why do I keep drinking?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What I learned in recovery is I have a choice, always had a choice. I can pick up a drink or I can pick up a phone and get help. Or go to a meeting.

You don't have to drink today. But it's your choice.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well dear ones - Let's celebrate... I made it 24 hours without a drink. I earnestly pray that I do not drink today.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Tigger!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

If we take the steps to reocver, and not the other way around, then it would seem a sponsor and the steps would be the solution. You already have a good knowledge of the big book, which will enable you to tell if your sponsor is giving you the right guidance. That is a big plus.

You would know about a certain american businessman who had a year of therapy with Carl Jung, and immediately got drunk, proving he was beyond human aid, had lost the power of choice in drink, and was in the doctors opinion, hopeless. I was that kind of alcoholic too, and like Rowland, I have been free of alcohol for many years.

Jung sent him off to have a spiritual experience, and he never drank again. That was the founding idea of AA. I went there, had a spiritual experience through working the steps and got the same result. You and I have an advantage Rowland didn't have. We know exactly where to go to find this experience.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigger11 View Post
Well dear ones - Let's celebrate... I made it 24 hours without a drink. I earnestly pray that I do not drink today.
good on ya!!
but PLEASE remember that faith without works is dead.
remember you only have to not drink today. and if necessary, you only have to not drink one minute at a time.
gonna hit a meeting? make some phone calls? do some reading in the big book?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Part of the disease is insanity. We know full right we'll nothing even remotely good can come out of drinking yet we do it anyway. We need to retrain our brains.
Exactly, I had a roommate in college(14 years ago). Him and I would drink a ton together all day, everyday. I just found out a month ago that some of his friends, after not hearing from him for a few days, found him in his apartment in his underwear with an almost empty bottle of Jack in his dead hands. Crazy thing is that the Dr. told him that the diabetes he had gotten from drinking so much, that if he didn't stop he would last a week tops. If he stopped he gave him 10 years. He died a week after seeing the doctor. It really does re-program your brain to think you need it as much as you need water. Heck even more if you ask me because I stop drinking water when I am no longer thirsty.....
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigger11 View Post
GOOD Going, Tigger!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WizingUp View Post
Exactly, I had a roommate in college(14 years ago). Him and I would drink a ton together all day, everyday. I just found out a month ago that some of his friends, after not hearing from him for a few days, found him in his apartment in his underwear with an almost empty bottle of Jack in his dead hands. Crazy thing is that the Dr. told him that the diabetes he had gotten from drinking so much, that if he didn't stop he would last a week tops. If he stopped he gave him 10 years. He died a week after seeing the doctor. It really does re-program your brain to think you need it as much as you need water. Heck even more if you ask me because I stop drinking water when I am no longer thirsty.....

Sorry about your roommate.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I did the same thing for a while. Went to meetings and was still drinking all the while. It isn't a terribly uncommon experience but why waste your time if you're not going to get serious about it. Just going to meetings is not going to remove the desire to drink, that has to come from you. Do the work, admit you're an alcoholic and you can't control it. Just surrender. Just give up. Get a sponsor. Once you do Step 1, things should be more clear as to how alcohol is ruining your life. It's like being possessed by a demon. It's so difficult to get rid of, but you have to have that resolve or else you probably need an inpatient program to at least get you started. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am the same way. Waiting at a restaurant for food, what else would I do besides drink? Nothing to do during the day, so what other options are there than to drink.

Praying for your recovery and that you are able to find a way to stop. I'm not there yet, but meetings and this forum are definitely a step in the right direction.