Notices

free shot of whiskey to warm ya up!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

free shot of whiskey to warm ya up!

I got a concern. I have to march in a couple parades this weekend and its going to be super cold st patricks day parades. I was informed that at the ont parade there is a bar that gives out free shots of whiskey and how the one guy states he just might take one this year its gonna be so cold! this of course has my AV incredibly active. Thouhgts why yes its going to be super cold you just might NEED to have a shot etc..

I dont even like whiskey. but i'm concerned that in the spur of the moment under the gun and freezing i might just make that choice *sigh*.

I"m gonna dress as warm as i possibly can but i have to wear a uniform and a kilt so yeah I'm gonna be cold.

with any luck i can just march on forward and not do something stupid!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yet another mythical "benefit" of alcohol...

Will drinking alcohol help you feel warmer? | MythBusters | Discovery
Old 03-09-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

It's actually a myth. According to Google, alcohol might make you feel warmer, but it actually lowers your core body temperature. Lots of people die up here in the winter from freezing to death while drinking.

Now one shot won't likely be that deadly as far as freezing to death will go, but we very well know all the other ways one shot can be deadly for us. Can you have someone waiting with a thermos of something warm and delicious and alcohol-free like warm spiced apple juice or cider?
(Not hard cider)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah best i can think of is maybe find some hot chocolate or coffee but I know if i drink to much of that i'll be using the toilet every 5 minutes lol. and I have to march and play an instrument so i cant really sip on that anyhow.

I think the reality is i have to dress warm and power through it. if i cant cause i'm too cold i'll just have to go home. Taking the shot isnt hte right choice.

But my point of the thread is the temptation is going to be there. and its going to possibly seem tire if i'm super duper cold and those shots are going around *sigh*. i'm worried i'll get stupid.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

on the plus tside i'll be playing the bagpipes. that instrument tends to heat you up pretty good so i'm really hoping thats enough!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is all true. I was always colder when I was out in the cold and drunk.

I noticed this winter (sober) I wasn't chilled so easily.

People will come up with any lame excuse to justify their drinking.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

another concern too i was watching videos of the one parade from prior years. geeze o petes its just a drunken festival ::facepalm:: everyones drunk and drinking etc.. now I new this going into this and it did worry me some. also the band sometimes goes and plays at a bar after the parade. I new that after ig ot into it some.

I think i'll be ok tho because the others in the band are not really drinkers i think... and they will proabbly be in a hurry to just leave when its done.

but that free shot of whiskey my AV is super obsessed with it.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Seems like you have some pretty strong concerns about this ZJW.....remember that not going is an always an option too. All the facts show the opposite of what your AV is telling you, yet you are still listening to it, even after being reminded of the fact by many folks here.

If you do go, remember first and foremost - you don't drink...period. Being outside and being cold is a regular occurrence for everyone. You have lots of options to help keep you warm...movement, playing your instrument, warm clothing, etc. Dress in layers, most likely you'll be warmer than you think and don't want to overheat. Drink water too....you'll be sweating from the activity even if it's cold out.

Bottom line though, it's all BS your AV is feeding you today. If you truly feel it is too much for you to take, don't go. Your sobriety is worth a lot more to you than playing in a parade - there will be plenty more of them to play in down the road.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i think the temptation of being around all the booze and drinking will cancel it self out when i see people acting like jackasses as they are drunk. the last time i was around peopel drinking i was repulsed by it and embaressed that i once also acted just as idiotic etc.. and i was not tempted at all to drink ebcuase I didnt want to be like them. I also didnt like the odor of it on there breath and like i said the obnoxious behaivior i was just in a hurry to leave.

I think thats how it'll be at these parades. But for some stupid reason that free shot of whiskey is haunting me. I"m trying to talk my AV back into its corner is all.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
yeah i think the temptation of being around all the booze and drinking will cancel it self out when i see people acting like jackasses as they are drunk. the last time i was around peopel drinking i was repulsed by it and embaressed that i once also acted just as idiotic etc.. and i was not tempted at all to drink ebcuase I didnt want to be like them. I also didnt like the odor of it on there breath and like i said the obnoxious behaivior i was just in a hurry to leave.

I think thats how it'll be at these parades. But for some stupid reason that free shot of whiskey is haunting me. I"m trying to talk my AV back into its corner is all.
Also keep in mind that it's a parade....most people don't go to parades to get drunk and be jackasses. There will be families and plenty of people who aren't drinking at all, in fact - most of them won't be drinking very likely.

Your AV is trying to paint a false picture in your mind of what it will be like to try and get you to drink. You know better of course, but you are still listening to the BS. Seriously...if you have reservations that you'll be able to handle it, don't go. There is nothing more valuable than your sobriety.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey zjw. I get how your AV could be working away like a little worm in your brain about this. The camaraderie of the moment, the celebration aspect, yada yada yada..... There is nothing wrong with the thought, you can't help that it's there and you are doing exactly what you should be doing which is recognizing it for what it is, exposing the thought for the lie that it is, and when the time comes I am sure that you will do what is right for you and walk right by the stand with the shots of whiskey with your sobriety intact and a sense of pride for learning the bagpipes and playing them like a BOSS in the parade!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

But...you don't drink.

You've got this. "Free" is something I fight when it comes to food. Free food, I should eat all the free food. Yeah, that's how my thoughts go.

Nothing to see there, move along. Don't even look at the guy with the shots. Keep moving.

It's never just one. I think that's the most important thing.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When that AV grabs hold like that, a couple tricks that works for me:

1. Play it forward and make it real. How long will that 1 shot last? We both know it won't stop at one. Maybe one before the parade, one after, one at the bar, one on break......

You know cravings are 10x stronger when you get a little in ya. Imagine yourself having strong cravings and how that will make you feel.

How about how you'll feel about yourself after taking that shot?

What's the worst case scenario? The odds are very good that'll happen. Play them out in your mind. Close your eyes and see it happen. Feel the emotions.

It'll take a few minutes, but it will quiet your AV. It'll realize it's fighting a losing battle.

2. Have a debate with it. Let it talk it's way out. Have that talk out loud too. Works best. Let it say what ever it wants to say. Then, let reason talk. Do it out loud for best results.

3. Get in touch with your future self. The one who made it through the parade and the bar without a drink. Close your eyes and get in touch with that person. Feel the happiness and the pride. Feel the massive release of pressure and the strength that will carry you forward for a long time.

Then open your eyes, and have your future self write a letter to your current self. In this letter, thank yourself for not drinking. Thank yourself for sacrificing and committing to a promise.

It's all a mind game. Go to the knife fight with a gun, and you're sure to win it!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I wasn't sure I could pass up a free shot of whiskey I would skip the event. What helps is to say "my name is _______ and I have one day back". Works every time.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

You know cravings are 10x stronger when you get a little in ya. Imagine yourself having strong cravings and how that will make you feel.

How about how you'll feel about yourself after taking that shot?
this is really sinking in. I know if i had one shot i'd be so mad for a variety of reasons for starts 1 is too many and a million is never enough. IF i had one and could not have more i'd be angry. and your right the obession would be on fire.

I almost responded when tehy guy mentioned this free shot thing "not for me i'm an acoholic" not becasue i wanted to be so public about it but to protect myself form being stupid ya know that extra layer of accountablity but my AV i think stopped me more so then my desire to be private about my issue. In all honesty my AV is the main reason i did not say nothing.

If the issue is talked about again i might have ot just mention that an i'm alcholic and i cant this might protect me in the future. it be wise. I guess i'd have to grow the nuts to be a bit more public about it for the sake of my sobriety.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not to sound stupid but can someone tell me what "AV" stands for? I read a lot of these threads and I'm clueless on some of the abbreviations. lol
Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
Not to sound stupid but can someone tell me what "AV" stands for? I read a lot of these threads and I'm clueless on some of the abbreviations. lol
Addictive Voice. I think it was coined by Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. (AVRT)

Check out the Secular Connections section,

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How 'bout saying this to yourself:
"Alcohol is poison. If I drink it, it will kill me."

Do you work one of the recovery programs?
Old 03-09-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sober is, as sober does. If you're afraid of giving in, may be better to sit this one out. But, if you do go, and don't take that shot, all the more reason to be proud of yourself!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
AV= Addictive Voice/Addict Voice/Alcoholic Voice.

Very generally, it's the voice in your head that tries to convince you that drinking is a good thing for you to do, even when the rest of your brain knows it's the wrong thing to do.

In the case of the AVRT recovery method, the AV is much more formally the Addictive Voice and a formal component of the process itself.