Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Really scary experience, has anybody else had this or know what it is?

Notices

Old 01-18-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been drinking very severely for the past year, well, I ended up in jail recently for about 5 days and so I had to detox on my own. Day 1 I just slept all day, and then day 2 was probably the hardest, with sleep, and I was shaky, after that I felt like I would be ok, the first 2 days I did not eat anything at all, only trying to get down water. I started to eventually eat very little and was fine, only plagued with freaky dreams with animals turned inside out or cut in half, and weird things like that.

I started to read more on day 3 and felt everything was getting better, then all of a sudden something weird happened which I have never ever experienced, and I have been through alcohol withdrawal probably near 1,000 times.

I was reading the bible because there was nothing else to read, I was fine, until all of a sudden the text started to turn from black to blue. I thought it was no big deal until as I was reading, highlights of words would appear as if you highlighted them with a marker, these could be yellow, blue, pink, etc... it would pick random words the more I read with my eyes. Then, in addition to that, grey underlining would form under some works, then if I kept reading it would get worse and worse until words, underlines, and everything were all sorts of colors. The part that freaks me out most is if I kept reading it would progress to burned images onto the pages, and I could make out symbols, diagrams, maps, just faintly, almost as if someone used a very very light marker to draw them. After this I felt like my bed was moving back and forth, then sideways, not too badly but enough to notice.

Keep in mind I am in jail and there are people still talking constantly in the dorm, which is significant in the next part. After a while sound got amplified by like 400%. I could hear peoples breaths, if you dropped a spoon on the floor it sounded like thunder, if you hit metal it sounded like a cannon went off. After all this is going on I hear voices, and this scares me into a panic, I hear whooshing and whizzing. The voices sound evil and magnified while normal sounds are added in with it.

My vision is a little weird too, if I were too look at a black space, it looks like dust is falling like snow, it's so very hard to explain. Anyways as all this is happening my body feels a extreme hot/cold sensation that originates mostly from my feet and works its way up my body then dissapates, this keeps going on and on.

Well, eventually soon i realize that the voices are not really aliens or demons or anything, they are the people around the room talking, and the sound magnification is just making it sound so weird.

If I close my eyes I get extreme closed eye visuals, and I have the sensation that I am moving.

One other disturbing thing is that if I looked at a clean white sheet of paper, I could see pink colored images on the sheet, these images were so intricate that if I could replicate them with my hand I would be a master artist. It was disturbing that each images is different for each piece of paper. Some of them are strange and scary. But they are amazingly detailed.

All of this freaked me out so badly, I have never ever experienced this in my life. I have been through severe alcohol withdrawal too many times to count and never experienced anything like this in my life. Has anybody had this happen to them?

One weird thing to note is that, it ONLY happens when I start reading, the first symptom is seeing letters highlighted, then my feet get and and I get hot cold body sensations from my legs, that's how I know it will start.

I am on day 5 of not drinking, so I think I'm past seizures, what does anyone thing of this, I am so scared to read now, it is even just beginning to happen right now, so I think I will stop, let me know anyone what this is.

I did read after that and it was not as bad, at least the sound amplification was gone. I hope I get better and it's not stuck like that whenever I want to read something.

Eventually once it gets so bad, I stop reading, then it slowly fades away and I am normal again.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 01-18-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm assuming you are home now, have you spoken to your doctor? Those symptoms sound pretty scary.

Hope to see you on here.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have not seen a doctor, I hope I don't have to. I did tell the nurse at the jail and he just said if it gets worse let them know. It is only day 5 though, if it keeps happening after about days 15 then I will really be worried, it could just be withdrawal I tell myself. I did read before I left, it was slight but at least the sound amplification was not there, so I hope it just eventually gets better on it's own.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Ashtorment, glad you are going to a doctor, yes? Can you be seen where you are? I wish you well, and say a prayer tonight.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Ashtorment, when you are getting process do they not include the possibility of withdrawals and arrange for the inmate's safety?
I have experienced many strange neurological things, a little associated with withdrawal but mostly to do with epilepsy.
Epilepsy runs in our family and I was fortunate to grow out of it in my late teens early 20's. Back then, occasionally I would experience synesthesia, a rare neurological condition. It never scared me, I thought it was amazing and would think it was something special.
I hope you are home safe and seeing a doctor.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doctor

Sadly I don't know enough about Jail. I can't give medical advice. But you should absolutely seek medical attention. Keep seeking out medical help and absolutely log everything that is happening and all your requests. If they reject you, log it somewhere.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just as alcoholism doesn't stay the same but progresses, so do withdrawals.

I'd detoxed without incident hundreds of times too - but the last time was a doozty.

I'd See a Dr. That kind of hallucination is not normal.
Detox from alcohol can be deadly.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-19-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck Ash! I would err on the side of caution and get medical attention. Glad you're here.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What you describe sounds very similar to the DTs experienced by my stepson...sadly on more than one occasion.

He would hallucinate that old TV shows were playing on the walls in his hospital room, the his brothers were spies, that there were nurses living like nuns in a wing of the hospital (not true)...who know what else that he never mentioned.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ash,

Since you are already detoxing I hope you take this opportunity to stay sober. Withdrawals will only get worse. Look up kindling on here. You don't want to get to the point of DT's.

Hang in there.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Seems like your body, spirit and mind are telling you.
Keep doing what you have been doing and you may end up locked up in a mental ward.
I've seen those rooms and they're not to pretty.

Booze and or drugs can bring on psicosis.
Although many times a temporary condition, can become permanent.

M-Bob
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes. Even being detoxed properly noises were magnified and I would jump out of my skin, not even sure if they were real. I also had very strange vision, it would go dark and I would see weird colours.
Don't get me started on the giant woman in a green robe shouting at me and the catapillar that wouldn't leave me alone!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds a little like some of my migraine experiences with the visual and auditory distortions. You should get yourself checked out regardless of what anyone of us think it could be though.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Scary stuff for sure. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Before my last detox (medical), I would get all kinds of strange auditory and visual hallucinations whenever my blood-alcohol content would drop (I assume this was the cause anyway). In general, the texture on the drywall would manifest into strange shapes and objects, and on a couple occasions, a small man came out of the wall and screamed at me for destroying my heart..

I'm glad all that is over and never want to go through it again.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sounds like the dts to me. This is what I would recognise as serious withdrawals possibly requiring medical supervision. I have sat with a couple of people going through this. It is a wild ride. But you will be close to the end of it.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the nervous system has a hard time processing and responding to stimuli after long periods of being suppressed with alcohol use. I had the visual and auditory disturbances. If they progress or get worse I would go to the doctor. They say the worst of detox is the first 3 or 4 days.

Many people experience worse symptoms each time they detox, and sometimes they have seizures, which can kill you. You detoxed. No reason to go and have to do it again now and risk worse things happening to you.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been having visual hallucinations again, week 21. That's freaky.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd see a Dr if I was you too, Brenda. That kinda of stuff is not normal.

D
Old 01-19-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have floaters in my eyes are something. It'll just be a shadow out of the corner of my eye, I look and it's gone. I think I have been drinking too much caffeine.