Notices

Relapse prevention?!

Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse prevention?!

Hi all, I love that this forum is still here.
I've been abstinent from alcohol for five years and five months. Gladly so, or so I thought. In recent weeks the urge to drink has come back with a vengeance. I'm terrified that I am not terrified enough to stay off the grog that so nearly killed me. Anyone have any tips/words of wisdom regarding relapse prevention? I'm open to anything that can be said and considered when it comes to protecting my sobriety!
Thank you so much for reading,
Amelia 😀

Last edited by Dee74; 12-01-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: title typo
Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you work any kind of a program, Amelia? Do you have a plan?

There is a fabulous thread; I'll post the link in a minute.

Glad that you are here. What a great first step in relapse prevention!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here is the link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst
Old 12-01-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back to SR amelia, glad you have decided to seek help. I would echo SoberLeigh's comments - do you follow any type of formal sobriety plan or program? You must be doing something right if you've been sober for over 5 years- congratulations on that!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another great thread - on urge surfing:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 12-01-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your quick replies, appreciated so much, more or as much as you know ��
I really like the plan thread, honestly I've not had a plan other than stay sober which has worked but I seem to have forgotten how bad it was...no more (at least for tonight!) I've taken on board one of the tips and am re-reading one of the gazillion journals I hung onto, written when drinking and desperate, which basically describes me for 15 years of my life. I hope that, for tonight, that is enough.
Thank you again and P.S obviously the darn thing was supppsed to read relapse not replaces prevention ��
Old 12-01-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are most welcome. Hope that you keep us part of your plan.

The 24 Hour Recovery Connection thread is another great place for support. I'll post that link, too.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As promised:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-183-a.html

Stop by each day and commit to another 24 hours of sobriety and some great support!!!!!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is you, 5 years ago after a relapse...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-relapse.html

You know you don't want to go back there again...

You've got 5 years, sweetie. That's fantastic. It also means that you can do anything, including facing this down again.

The holiday season is always tough because everywhere you look there are images of how wonderful and festive drinking is and how everyone does it because December. Funny how they never show anyone vomiting or fighting or crying hysterically with mascara running down their chins.

You got this.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by *amelia* View Post
Thank you so much for your quick replies, appreciated so much, more or as much as you know ��
I really like the plan thread, honestly I've not had a plan other than stay sober which has worked but I seem to have forgotten how bad it was...no more (at least for tonight!) I've taken on board one of the tips and am re-reading one of the gazillion journals I hung onto, written when drinking and desperate, which basically describes me for 15 years of my life. I hope that, for tonight, that is enough.
Thank you again and P.S obviously the darn thing was supppsed to read relapse not replaces prevention ��
I love the idea of going back and reading your journals, Amelia. It can be one powerful reminder of where you were and where you never want to go again. I shudder to think of where I could go!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow. Just WOW. That thread from five years ago...pretty much all my journal entries are that sad, lonely and desperate. Tomorrow I'm hitting a meeting, so far I have phoned a alcohol misuse service to try and get some counselling for relapse prevention. Again, thank you so much for your replies, we got this !
Old 12-01-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Amelia,

Every single morning, for five years and five months, I throw my leftover toast out on my window ledge, and every single morning for five years and five months, birds show up and eat it. Should I wake up this morning and be uncertain of whether or not I will make toast and share the leftovers with the birds, and be uncertain of whether or not the birds will show up? Why or why doesn't this make sense?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Relapse Prevention: Early Warning Signs and Coping Skills
Old 12-01-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am thinking of you. Its gets hard when we get better. What if, maybe this time it will be OK, etc etc.

For me, I tell myself that even thinking this shows I have a real problem as no one in their right mind would ever ever even take a tiny risk of going back there. And we know there is such a risk, and it aint tiny. In fact its not a risk, its a fact.

Hour by hour, day by day, forward we go.

XXX
Old 12-01-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I fixed the title - welcome back *amelia*

D
Old 12-01-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like a mindful approach. We can most of us do well with more mindfulness in our lives, so this might be a perfect fit for you.
Extinguish Addiction With Mindfulness - Mindful Muscle
Old 12-02-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Speaking as a particular type of hopeless alcoholic, relapse prevention was something of an oxymoron. I couldn't keep myself sober.

The only effective relapse prevention plan for me has been a life/personality changing spiritual experience achieved and maintained through working and living the program of AA. That doesn't mean I am at a meeting every day, I am lucky to get one every one or two months. It means practicing "these" principles in all my affairs. As a result of this the idea of drinking has not occurred to me for many years. It just doesnt come up as an option.

I don't spend time in fear of what will happen if I drink. Life is so good it is more of a pleasure than an effort/discipline, to live this way.

Going to lots of meetings works for some, but they often get tired of it after a while. It doesn;t always provide a permanent solution.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Go watch the documentary....Her name was betty....
That will remind you what alcoholism does to us. Might help with the urges.
Congrats on over 5 years. You're awesome!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by *amelia* View Post
Hi all, I love that this forum is still here.
I've been abstinent from alcohol for five years and five months. Gladly so, or so I thought. In recent weeks the urge to drink has come back with a vengeance. I'm terrified that I am not terrified enough to stay off the grog that so nearly killed me. Anyone have any tips/words of wisdom regarding relapse prevention? I'm open to anything that can be said and considered when it comes to protecting my sobriety!
Thank you so much for reading,
Amelia 😀
Please do not go back to the gates of hell for you might not return. There was s truly madly deeply nothing to gain from alcohell. Apart fro a momentary imaginary high at the beginning (this by the way diminished for me towards the end and I had to drink more & more just to get a headache and feel hungover before the night had even finished!!!) alcohell gave me nothing but pain, paranoia, ruined family relationships, rows, risk taking, endless danger etc opt for the serene life it's a lot less chaotic xx