Notices

coming out of a relapse

Old 08-27-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coming out of a relapse

Hi all, well I made it to 9 days without alcohol and crashed and burned spectacularly. I went on a three day bender and now I am alone and scared and lost. I had two bottles of wine left and I drained them into the sink. So I guess I was just wondering if anyone has experience of relapsing so early into recovery and how you kept up motivation to start again...all support gratefully received!
Amelia x
Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad you came here and are being so honest - i'd say that and pouring out the rest of the booze is a real positive start. hugs and suport, k
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amelia,

In the beginning, I also struggled with early sobriety...My feeling were numbed for so long (three years), that I didn't handle my raw feelings of pain very well. I had trouble getting by two weeks sober for about five months.

What helped my was going to AA meetings and of cource coming here most everyday...

The important thing is you made it back to us...

Keep posting....
Old 08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Yes, I know exactly how you feel...I quit so many times, I lost count. I was so disgusted with myself I didn't even want to be alive sometimes. I suppose this last time quitting I was just ready...really ready. I was so tired , I mean SOOOO tired, I just gave up....I couldn't do it anymore...so I admitted I was powerless and asked for help.....here is the tricky part....I then LET someone help me!!! You will be okay...this disease is Cunning, Baffling and Powerful....you just need to be more so.
Today, forgive yourself, and start over...we are here for you.

Cathy
Old 08-27-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Amelia..I am the poster child of relapse. I let it really get the best of me the beginning of the year. But I learned that all I can do is take it as a lesson l;earned and just pick myself back up and brush my shoulders off and keep trying.
I think by pouring the rest of the wine down the sink was a great step for you.
Although I dont drink and I do drugs,....I KNOW I couldnt have dumped the rest of my drugs down the sink. So I have alot of respect for you there.
Just keep trying. ANd just learn from every slip. We are not perfect. And we are not goinng to get it right the first try.
I am thinking of you.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Amelia,

I'm grateful that you survived your relapse, and that you're reaching out. It was (and continues to be) important for me to recognize my triggers i.e. stress, crowds, arguments, depression and have a plan in place for when they were activated. What are you doing for your sobriety, today?
Please keep posting, and stay sober just for today. Tomorrow - worry about that when it gets here. Hugs.

Rowan
Old 08-28-2007, 03:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for your replies, I really am at a desperate ebb right now. Well I just woke up on day two and most of the withdrawl symptoms have abated...thank god! Rowan, thanks as always for your support. For today I am treating my sobriety as number one. I am going to go to the store and buy some cranberry juice and a healthy meal. I'm going to take a shower (my first one in five days) and I am going to hit a meeting later. Thats pretty much all I can manage but it's a start right?
Amelia x
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its the perfect start Amelia!
Hang in there hun, the first week sucks.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's an awesome start mel! I'll be thinking of you and sending warm thoughts & prayers your way! Julie
Old 08-28-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stick with it Amelia! I'm just coming out of a horrible relapse myself(new sober date,July 15).We just have to get right back on that bicycle! Confronting and percieving the world with sober brain cells is challenging and rocky! Practice and courage will yield satisfying results! The sobriety time I did acquire has taught me better how to live one day at atime,deal with resentments, have a new/better outlook, muster hope for the future and feel better about myself. Despite my relapse the personal benefits gained from my previous sober time are still with me to utilize (I was drinking for abt aweek--had several months of sobriety prior).My sober friends and acquaintances in AA help me tremendously.It will get better for both of us--just continue to hang in there and do the next right thing! God Bless You!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

amelia... look above...

some dont make it back!

all good wishes you two!

xxoo, rz
Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hugs Amelia. There are many people here with you and many "lurkers" who are still drinking and try to get up the courage to post.

Just by being here you are on the way to a better life,
Jhana