Notices

Fracture of the foot

Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fracture of the foot

I got news today that I fractured the 5th metatarsal bone in my foot. I wasn't even phased by it because I have been sober for 21 days so I was glad alcohol did not play a part in it. I guess I am just clumsy! I broke my wrist roller skating 2 years ago but unfortunately I had had a few cocktails before hand and was deeply embarrassed. Anyways, I know 21 days is still new to sobriety. I have been to a few AA meetings but that is all. I have been reading a lot and keeping my distance from any triggers. The urges have not been bad and seem to be getting less but I feel I may be a sitting duck and if I don't do something I will be at target for a relapse. I am just taking it one day at a time and letting my higher power guide me. Any suggestions is always appreciated.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The two best bits of advice I've had are, first, to want to be sober more than you want to drink. And second, to practice gratitude each day. It gave me a more positive attitude and focused my mind on the good in life.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I definitely want to be sober more than drink! I do need to make a gratitude list and that may turn me more positive. I don't really feel anything right now. Not happy nor sad. Just at an even calm pace which is always my scariest moment like "what is lurking around the corner"? or maybe "this is easier than I thought" even though that first week was a doozy. I will keep my guard up and get to more meetings this week
Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reach out before you take that drink is always a basic rule.

Putting effort into your recovery is good too - if going to AA meetings was the 'doing' part of your plan and you've stopped that, or slowed right down, perhaps that's an area to look at ??

There are some other good suggestions here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 07-25-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I find myself busy with just life and to where I "can't make it to a meeting" which could be an excuse. But now with my foot not letting me be as active it may be a sign to slow down and focus more on my recovery and not get to confident. I will be attending a meeting tomorrow and reading the forums closely.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post

to practice gratitude each day
I think that what's different for me this sober time around is the fact that I'm grateful each day for my many blessings and especially for my sobriety.

It's been working for 8 years now and once again, I'm grateful.

Can't say it or think about it enough.

M-Bob
Old 07-25-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

During the day I am generally up beat but every night when I lay down I have a journal where I right the date and how many days and a prayer and when I put that number down and it grows I get excited and it makes me feel happy. I have read my journal from back to two years ago when I couldn't get past the first few days and wanted sobriety more than anything. Writing on here has also helped me regain the big picture. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmm. I was much more in tune with my AV than my HP in early sobriety. And I was pretty useless at telling the difference between the two. It took me working the steps with a sponsor, and leaning on my sponsor to see the wood for the trees for a while, and even now if I don't work my daily program then things can soon become less than clear re what the 'next best thing ' might be.

Are you saying that you can't make it to meetings because of your foot? Or just that you feel you've got this recovery deal all sussed already?

If it's the first of the two, I'd suggest listening to some of the recovery speakers on whatever step you're on... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly! . Also, reading the AA literature (Big Book, Living Sober, Daily Reflections, or whatever).

If it's the second of the two, maybe ask yourself why you HP of all things would tell you not to go to meetings? It sounds like your AV might be being extra-super-duper-sneaky to me.