Notices

Sober observations

Old 07-24-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober observations

I had some real aha moments this weekend on 2 social (and sober)outings. Many have been described here multiple times, but it was truly enlightening as I experienced them firsthand.
1. It is true that no one really cares if you are drinking or not. So that perceived obstacle to abstaining- gone.
2. It was refreshing not to worry about: booze breath (a turn off when experiencing it in others), driving, sleeping well/waking up feeling well next day, and trying to pretend I wasn't drunk in interactions.
3. My smiles and laughter were appropriate and genuine, not fake or over the top bc of being fueled by alcohol.

Yes, there are some awkward/anxious moments when you are used to relying on alcohol to " feel comfortable" and you have removed that crutch. But the benefits I listed (among so many others) felt so good, and overall a much more enjoyable time than if I were drinking.

Reminded me of this quote.

"I drank for happiness, I became unhappy
I drank for sociability, I became argumentative
I drank for sophistication, I became obnoxious
I drank for friendship, I made enemies
I drank for sleep, I awakened without rest
I drank for strength, I felt weak
I drank for relaxation, I got the shakes
I drank for bravery, I became afraid
I drank to make conversation easier, I slurred my speech
I drank to forget, I was forever haunted
I drank for freedom, I became a slave
I drank to erase problems, I saw them multiply
I drank to cope with life, and I invited death"

I'd love to hear positive experiences from others in social situations you handled sober.
Peace ~ B
Old 07-24-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post!! Life is so much better for me not having to worry about all these issues!! I can relate to every point mentioned!! Truly a miracle I got off that dark train!! Have a great week and thanks again!!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agree Betty and Dazve. I too can relate. It's only my day 37 but life is truly better without booze. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great Quote I really like that one. For me just waking up in the morning and feeling great is reason enough to stay sober. I like the fact that if I cant remember something from the night before I can chalk it up to getting older and not so great of a memory. I don't have to lie and pretend I remember what I said or what happened.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Excellent observations Betty, I especially connect with #1. I really wish there was a way to make people believe it when they are having difficulty quitting, I think it's really one of the biggest hangups people have.

Glad you had a good weekend and learned some things!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post & thread
Old 07-24-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That long quote is posted on the bathroom wall at the big clubhouse I go to- I have to pee a lot (all that water and other nonalcoholic stuff I am constantly drinking!!) so I see it multiple times in a given visit

I have had a couple of similar social experiences recently. My high school bf and I have reconnected - not dating (yet?) but an amazing friendship - and he is sober now, too. We went to hear another high school friend play (he sings and plays the piano, and is amazing) and visited with his wife (who also went to school with us) and his parents. Each of them had a drink (maybe two? I wasn't counting, ha!) and the whole night was enjoyed by everyone. I doubt they thought a single thing about the fact that my friend and I weren't drinking. We had such amazing chatting and I was so present the whole time. My friend asked me as we were driving home how it was and we both agreed that we were just plain happy being there sober. No biggie.

I haven't been to any big to-dos yet (just over 5mo in) but kinda look forward to being the sober, 3rd party, anthropological observer so to speak! Oh, and just enjoying where I am and what I'm doing, without a drinking agenda. Wouldn't go back for anything.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bumping this. Thanks Betty and all - absolutely true
D
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

So happy you got to experience that directly. When I realized that sobriety didn't have to end my social life, this whole journey got a lot easier.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love this post! thank you
Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Betty126 View Post
1. It is true that no one really cares if you are drinking or not. So that perceived obstacle to abstaining- gone.
Yup. The only people who have said to me" aww just have one" or similar, are themselves alcoholics. Regular drinkers couldn't care less whether I am drinking or not.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love your username Roy 🌈 😄
Old 07-26-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes this is a Great Post. i have been experiencing sobriety observations, also. taking mental note of these things actually keeping me sober now. i hate losing the ability to think when drunk on alcohol. so very unappealing....Who wants that? Also, me not ever thinking of consequences. Just in the moment drunk, and not thinking.