Notices

The #1 reason that I stay sober today is ?

Old 06-24-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The #1 reason that I stay sober today is ?

After hanging out in the rooms of AA for many years and also coming to this site for daily support I realize today that the #1 reason that I stay sober is because --

I know today what God has saved me from.

I have seen many of my sober friends return to the drink with dire consequences. Yes, by the grace of God there go I, if I should ever drink again.

If I may ask ?
What is the #1 reason that you stay sober today ?

A nice sober day wished for all,
MB
Old 06-24-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

might sound shallow but I guess the #1 reason i wont drink is to avoid panic attacks and the extreme anxiety that went along with them.

Theres a lot of other good reasons but to be honest everytime I hash ou tthe idea of picking up again it always boils down to the fact that I dont wanna go back to those panic attacks again.

I'd like to think its for my family or my health or something all of those are great reasons too but I think i'd blow all that off and drink again as sick as that sounds if not fro those panic attacks!!

so thank god for the panic attacks!.

I have an event coming up in july i'm going to go too. I"m a little concerned its going to be good music, trash food, and lots of great beer choices. I"m worried i'll find it very unenjoyable since i dont eat this kinda food and I dont drink. I"m going strictly for the music. It will be an interesting test to see if i still will enjoy this sorta thing MINUS all the bad stuff.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The #1 reason I stay sober today is that I don't want to drink.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate the fact that this thread will reveal many reasons why ones wish not to drink today.

Maybe some that I have forgot about?
Thank you for reminding me.
For I wish to never forget.
Mountainman
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, and congratulations.

I stay sober for my kids, my health, and I am too proud to let anything or anyone control MY LIFE except for me. 25 years of being a slave to the sauce was enough.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The #1 reason I stay sober, is to keep the high quality of life I achieved since I became a non-drinker. This was the first thought that came to me, when I read the thread subject, and although I stopped drinking to avoid many of the negative consequences associated with heavy drinking/drinking alcoholically as well as to improve the quality of my life (a lot of my life was already good), I'm glad my first thought was a totally positive one. Meaning, I didn't have to give that extra push to think positively. I believe the more/longer we have a positive attitude, the easier it is to maintain it. Then again, I could be totally full of poop.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Reason I stay sober today is because I accept I am alcoholic - plain & simple
Old 06-24-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The reason I will stay sober today is because I feel amazing, better than I have in years, and I don't want to lose that.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

The #1 reason I stay sober... I guess it's evidenced by the feeling I get whenever I remember what it was like to be actively drinking. That feeling is a poisonous mixture of fear, anxiety, dread, and terror. Any feeling of escape, much less euphoria, disappeared many years ago. So, that feeling pretty much dismisses the whole idea as quickly as it pops into my head.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know I'll remember today, tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The number 1 and 1/2 reason that I stay sober.

A Happy Queen makes for a Happy King.

That's what I'm talking about.

Mountainman

The Queen wasn't happy when I was drinking.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Only on day 5, but I'm staying sober because I feel pretty good physically and mentally and I haven't been able to say that in years.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My reasons for not drinking today is pretty long, but I guess if I had to pick one, it would be that I don't want to go through those horrible withdrawals again!! It was like living in hell. I felt like a dead man walking. John
Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To improve my mental health. And it it's getting there
Old 06-24-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
WWG1WGA

The number #1 reasons I will stay sober is because I want to be the best mom I can be! And I don't want the rest of my life to be wasted, passed out, and forgotten. I want to cherish the time with my baby girl and be a good role model for her as she grows up.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
After hanging out in the rooms of AA for many years and also coming to this site for daily support I realize today that the #1 reason that I stay sober is because --

I know today what God has saved me from.

I have seen many of my sober friends return to the drink with dire consequences. Yes, by the grace of God there go I, if I should ever drink again.

If I may ask ?
What is the #1 reason that you stay sober today ?

A nice sober day wished for all,
MB
Because if I drink, I will die.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
My reasons for not drinking today is pretty long, but I guess if I had to pick one, it would be that I don't want to go through those horrible withdrawals again!! It was like living in hell. I felt like a dead man walking. John
That's it for me too. I have several reasons, but the withdrawal (including PAWS) is the biggest one. Knowing that it only gets worse has made me not want to touch a drop ever again.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My self-respect.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The number one reason I stay sober today is the God of my understanding. Since I made that connection through working AA's 12 steps, the resulting spiritual experience has given me a whole new outlook on life, where drinking is just redundant.

I lost the power of choice in drink, and I never got it back. I don't drink today because I can't, just as I can't fly.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
The number one reason I stay sober today is the God of my understanding. Since I made that connection through working AA's 12 steps, the resulting spiritual experience has given me a whole new outlook on life, where drinking is just redundant.

I lost the power of choice in drink, and I never got it back. I don't drink today because I can't, just as I can't fly.
That's a good amplification on my brief comment about not wanting to drink today (although I might define "God" and "working AA's 12 Steps" a bit differently).

Because the obsession has been removed, I don't need a specific reason to stay sober today. The issue of drinking/not-drinking is no longer one that occurs to me.

And if a stray thought of a drink were to enter my mind, I would remind myself that there's simply nothing left for me there but misery and madness.