isn't good on my health and doesn't do
me a bit of good, but its where the
coolness is.

My passion and worry is in my backyard
where I tend to my flower gardens and
birds. I have several or so umbrellas up
to give shade but would love to have my
entire backyard shielded from the direct
sun that beats down on all my lovely flowers.

I guess I feel for them because they stand
out there day after day drinking up the sun
and rain to help them grow and produce
abundant color and foliage to enjoy. However,
I worry for them maybe more than I do
for myself.

Drinking isn't an option at 25 yrs sobriety,
but its the stress and worry I carry within
me that could or would lead me to sick, unnecessary
thoughts if I wasn't connected strong to my
recovery program I incorporate in all my
affairs day In and day out.

I continue to water and shade my beautiful
gifts around my backyard and am always
thinking or learning new ways to shade
or block the uv rays trying to harm me
and my flowers.

Taking care of our health before, during
and after 50 is vital in remaining sober,
happy, content, stress free, for many one
days at a time to come as we move forward
in whatever life throws at us.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went to Louisiana a few times and thought it was so beautiful but it was in April or over the winter so not bad. But I did wonder how did anyone deal with it in the summer, and I also thought of staying inside all the time which is bad for the health. I am in all day today, could not sleep last night so back in the bad habit of sleeping during the day and up all night which is very lonely.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
zjw

Gotta move to the mountains I know where I'm at it's usually cooler and almost always cools Down at night.

Or northern Maine or something since you like more cloudy overcast etcc I hear it rains a lot there and Washington state.

There problem solve move its so simple lol all easier said then done sigh
Old 06-11-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well tried again it is in the 90's here and I went out for as walk so as to get exercise, I was feeling ill by the time I had gotten to about 3/4 of a mile. Heat index only 92, so I don't know why I should be feeling so bad. I see people biking and walking around.

I panicked, phone was somehow on "airplane mode" and I was trying to get inside. I wasn't able to text and didn't really figure out how to get the phone right again so in a panic started back up the street to maybe go in a store and get water and cool off but then my acquaintance opened the door and finally I got in.

In the past I would have just gone ahead and cranked the AC and drank beer right through the whole summer.

Not feeling happy or good.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
zjw

well think about it this way i fyou drink booze you'd probably get even hotter as that alcohol starts to warm you up and beer isnt all that hydrating anyhow.

as for the AC yeah that stinks!.

sleeping at night has to be difficult.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Argh so, I had another brief walk to the store to get a favorite non alcoholic beverage- felt woozy when I arrived, and they were all out, too.

So had to get back home and get in the shower again, but still feeling not so great.

Are the "I love summer" people the ones that crank the AC? I am genuinely mystified how anyone can stand it. I mean in the 90's or even 80's with humidity... and the concrete here soaks it up and radiates it all back at night and it just feels as if there is zero relief. Fans blowing hot air around... there is no way to stop being hot.

Hell is hot for a reason. They didn't write about a cold place where the bad people go...
Old 06-12-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The last couple of days were pretty unbearable here in Milwaukee. Thankfully, a cold front came through overnight and we're much more comfortable today.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
zjw

Are the "I love summer" people the ones that crank the AC?
I'm with ya there i bet there are VERY few that live in hot humid areas with no AC that do indeed love it.

Sure its nice to go to the beach then back home to nice AC or go outside to do some outdoor activity int he sun then back home. But i'm sure many of these folks complain about mosquitos oh its so hot oh i got sunburn etc...

I think where I live majority of the summer tho i woudlnt mind being outside in the heat doing whatever but if it was a hot night i'd want my AC!! tho it doesnt get to bad where i live.

Concrete is bad for absorbing the heat but i know whn i run i prefer the hot asphalt and concrete over the grass any day of the week why? becuase the fields get hot too and they have a lot of moisture trapped in them and the humidity just rises off them as you run so its like hotter and more humid on grass i think.

stinks either way tho.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well, I live in SE Asia now most of the time and love it.. no arthritis, no dry skin, even my occasional asthma goes away. Yes, I do avoid the direct sun midday.. but I even bike in the heat.. and nothing beats a tropical breeze at night. Or a fan, lol.. but I do run AC sometimes. It took several months for me to acclimate however, and I still prefer less humidity for sure. But I like hot.

Now I've been back in the Pacific Northwest for the past couple months and it's been freezing! Aarrrgh.. and when it does warm up, they over air-condition every place. I noticed that everywhere in the States. No one wants any discomfort. I've found over the years, as a runner and cyclist, that the body will adjust when in a new temperature range, you just have to give it some time.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Still sick and weak from yesterday. I dream of moving to the Pacific Northwest and never feeling this way. It's not discomfort so much as I don't want to die of heat stroke, or be sick for days on end. It gets scary because I start having heat illness symptoms and try to convey that to people and they think I'm just uncomfortable or hot- yesterday I was trying to tell my friend and he was like "Oh, I'll just get some water" and moving really slow and we were outside and I was having a hard time breathing and felt dizzy and my heart was racing. And now I am still weak and feeling hot even though it is 67 degrees out today.

Never, ever happens in the cold. Ever.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I thought of you today sleepie. It is 90 degrees here today and I am on a 3rd story apartment. It is 98 up here with fans running. I went out shopping just to get away from it all.

I am on some bad medication that decreases sweating and increases your core body temperature. I was standing outside sweating while people stared at me funny. Im talking pouring, hair dripping, sweat. One thing that helps is to just carry around a wet rag and keep it handy.

The fans don't help. I ran so many recently I got a notification from my electric company! lol I may sleep in the basement tonight. But that would leave me open to other tenants. The car maybe? Ha
Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I was in Sacramento yesterday 100 plus, Ca. drought, fires other parts of the nation floods my brother is moving to Missouri hot and humid, Summer is here!!
hydrate find some shade and a cool glass of ice tea.
I am only 30 miles from Santa Cruz where it is 20 to 30 degrees cooler that is where I belong
Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Everyone complains about the winter here in Maine where it sometimes gets way below zero and snowbanks several feet high, but I would rather have the cold any day. At least we don't have floods, hurricanes, mudslides, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. As long as you have fuel and food, a blizzard is easy to survive. If you are cold you can always put more clothes, blankets, etc. on, but if you're hot you can take all your clothes off and you're still hot, not to mention naked in public. I made the mistake of going to Nashville, TN in August! The heat index was over 100 every day we were there, and the humidity was oppressive. I loved Nashville, but would have to go back in the winter next time.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have this exact same problem.

Do you have air conditioning in your home?
Is moving to another part of the country an option?

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
We have 90- something degree weather coming and it gets very humid where I am. I have always hated hot weather and it is an urban heat as well. Besides the fact that it makes me very anxious and unhappy, I get ill from it and had some kind of heat sickness a few years back from not turning on the AC and it was only one night of 90-something degree weather with a lot of humidity.

But I thought that with some longer term sobriety I would be able to feel a lot better. I don't and it scares me. I feel bad even if the sun is directly on me and I just do not know why. According to my last blood tests everything was fine and I did have my thyroid checked as well, and it was fine. So I don't know, I feel I have to be scurrying for shelter every warm day and it makes me feel terrible and about 100 times more anxious and I am just stressed out and miserable for months and fear for my health- if you have ever had any heat sickness you know how it feels- very bad and actually a lot like withdrawals. Back when I had heat illness I was weak for days, could not eat and also it took 2 weeks to be able to do much of anything and even then I was very sensitive to heat still.

I just do not know why I do not feel better after near 6 months off benzos and booze, not a pill not a drop. I am feeling very anxious and worried and unrewarded with all this hard earned sobriety. Nothing has improved, not my appearance, not feeing healthier or anything.

Anyone similar with the heat?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

First, congrats on 6 months sober. That's fantastic!! I live outside of New Orleans and it's hot and humid here at least 5 months out of the year. The forecast for the next few days is mid 90s with high humidity. Though I've lived here for over 25 yrs, I grew up in the midwest where summers are gorgeous (but winters are not!) I hate the heat, too but have gradually become accustomed to it. I deal with summer here the same way I coped with winter in Michigan -- by staying inside! No sense making yourself anxious and/or sick just because of the weather. And keep that A/C blasting. It gets so hot here that by July, our neighborhood swimming pool is no longer refreshing because it feels like bath water.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

An unbelievably grey, rainy and cool day... I love it.

We have air Soberella but I only like to use it if it is very hot, 90 plus. It gets real uncomfortable but it is worth it to be a little more used to the heat.

I walked out yesterday and the heat index was only about 87. I felt fine while I was walking but when I got back to the apartment I felt sweaty and overheated and a little uncomfortable breathing.

You know what else is no fun in hot weather? That extra item of clothing that women wear.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yesterday was bliss. The skies were heavy with clouds all day and grey, even though it was humid it was very relaxing. I even had a fairly decent day and accomplished a few things. Today it's back too bright and hot, at least I enjoyed the break. Only 2 months to go, for the most part I hope.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Holy crap! ... ... Sleepies just say: "Yesterday was bliss" and give herself much deserve pat on back.

I have what she having! Go Sleepies! Keep it up, girl!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

LOL Hi Cow.

It is all overcast again just now so I am going for a walk even though I do not want to. I may go nuts and wash some vegetables when I return.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.