Notices

The heat

Old 06-09-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The heat

We have 90- something degree weather coming and it gets very humid where I am. I have always hated hot weather and it is an urban heat as well. Besides the fact that it makes me very anxious and unhappy, I get ill from it and had some kind of heat sickness a few years back from not turning on the AC and it was only one night of 90-something degree weather with a lot of humidity.

But I thought that with some longer term sobriety I would be able to feel a lot better. I don't and it scares me. I feel bad even if the sun is directly on me and I just do not know why. According to my last blood tests everything was fine and I did have my thyroid checked as well, and it was fine. So I don't know, I feel I have to be scurrying for shelter every warm day and it makes me feel terrible and about 100 times more anxious and I am just stressed out and miserable for months and fear for my health- if you have ever had any heat sickness you know how it feels- very bad and actually a lot like withdrawals. Back when I had heat illness I was weak for days, could not eat and also it took 2 weeks to be able to do much of anything and even then I was very sensitive to heat still.

I just do not know why I do not feel better after near 6 months off benzos and booze, not a pill not a drop. I am feeling very anxious and worried and unrewarded with all this hard earned sobriety. Nothing has improved, not my appearance, not feeing healthier or anything.

Anyone similar with the heat?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have heat sickness. Have widespread psoriasis which is helped by the sun and rosacea which is made worse by heat and sun, feel I can't win.
I understand your frustration. Guess we have to keep plugging away. I struggle with miserable depression at 3 years, had hoped it would improve (pre dated drinking) maybe it will yet, but if not, I still don't want to go back to where I was. Maybe you will find it gets easier/ better for you with some more time as so many ppl here do. As you say, your sobriety has been hard earned. Be proud and don't lose sight of that!
Old 06-10-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sleepy, I hate the heat and humidity as well. We've been lucky so far this summer, but we're getting the 90 degree crap the next couple days here and I live in an urban area as well. But, we'll muddle through somehow.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi sleepie,

As much as I feel mentally better during the summer months, I do not do well in direct sun and high heat. I have been caught more times than I should trying desperately to find a little patch of shade for my head before I vomit or faint or both!!! I have had some very bad experiences due to high temp's.

I really feel for you to have 90 + and high humidity

xo xo
Old 06-10-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

When I visited Las Vegas several years ago, it was the first time I experienced really high temp's.

One evening we were coming back to our hotel around 10 PM and it was still in the high 90's. I wanted to get a cab but H insisted we wait for the bus that runs down the strip. I wasn't sure I wouldn't have a heart attack or panic attack and by the time we got back to our hotel I had a full on sobbing, crying meltdown. All heat induced.

Feeling for ya' sleepie!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh wow Rose. I just wonder is getting in better shape or anything helpful, I have not been active and I am not motivated at all. Can't live like this. It is so prohibiting and gets scary like you said.

Well sigh I guess it's another summer...4 months of awfulness.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel for you too, Sleeps. You could come visit me, we have 48 degrees today.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I dream of moving to Amsterdam. I was there one time and they said the sun did not really come out much and well also everything else about it is pretty great.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Oh wow Rose. I just wonder is getting in better shape or anything helpful, I have not been active and I am not motivated at all. Can't live like this. It is so prohibiting and gets scary like you said.

Well sigh I guess it's another summer...4 months of awfulness.
I think it might just be an individual body type kind of thing. I have friends who love that kind of heat and then there are others (you and me included!) who just do not do well in it.

On the other side of the coin, I cannot tolerate extreme cold temp's either and it can get pretty cold in the (sometimes endless) winters here in Calgary.

I feel like Goldilocks, I need the weather to be "just right"!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Were you always like that Rose?

I hated heat as a kid too but I never really got sick in it.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

I used to despise it for many of the same reasons. especially the really humid stuff. I still honestly dont care for it too much. Mainly because while running its just downright harder to breathe when its more humid.

but when i'm not running or something it doesnt phase me too too much anymore. My body controls its temp in an odd wya i guess. I guess from going from an inferno in a run to say 95 and humid the 95 and humid doesnt feel as bad to me in comparison. I've leartearlly ran 7 or 8 miles in 95 degree heat then sat down outside and shivered while i drank a smoothie. Strange i guess.

My 2 cents? just drink lots and lots of cold cold fluids. I'd drink icey fruit smoothies and shovel in cold watermelon and such. It will really help I think.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

also i'd say watch the meat intake. I might get flamed here but they didnt coin the term "meat sweats" for no reason! I find meat tends to heat the body up even more as the body hsa to work harder to digest it etc.. Fat can have a simlier affect.

so again with the cold fruits and such!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drink water but it never makes a difference. I lost 30 pounds too. I need to get in shape, I know my cardio could be better. But I really would die if I started exercising in 90 degree weather. I hate summer I can't do anything, wear anything I like or be comfortable for months. It is just miserable and ruins my life for months.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried Gatorade, water, Nuun tabs, soaked bandana on my neck, weight loss, going without AC so that I might acclimate, sleeping with a fan on and sleeping right after a shower. It is just constant sweating and it never stops for 5 months, and being bedraggled and sweaty and stringy sweaty hair and dizziness and feeling faint-ish and exhausted and ill. It is beyond me how anyone can enjoy it at all, I just do not enjoy one bit of any of that.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i cant sleep in the heat forget that its like near impossible for me to sleep if its hot!!! thankfully where i live even in the summer thers only a few days where its actually hot enough at night that you cant sleep cause of heat if you dont have AC. I have AC wife makes me run it i'd prefer to shut it offf and save the money tho.

but yeah at night thats the PITTS!

Just nurse an ice cold beverage all day long. cold rag around the neck etc..

I dont liek gatoraide too much salt that will make me wanna sweat but unable too lol.

ice water !
Old 06-10-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Were you always like that Rose?

I hated heat as a kid too but I never really got sick in it.
I don't remember having issues with the heat when I was a kid. I was in my late 20's when I first remember it as problematic.

When it is really hot I plan any outside walking for early mornings before it heats up. And if it is full on sun I need to have my head covered.

5 months of high heat and humidity
Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow - well done on 6 months of sobriety. That's amazing! Have you considered working on your anxiety? The best thing for combating anxiety is exercise so maybe you could find something you enjoy doing that'll keep you active? I'm just starting out doing some meditation - I'm using the HeadSpace app free trial but there's loads of stuff on youtube too.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
orangutan

I HATE the heat , I have no energy , I hate feeling sticky and sweaty. Also with the heat comes storms and I have a real phobia of storms so my anxiety is through the roof during summer. Give me Winter any day.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry the heat is getting some of you down.

I try to dress for it.

I wear wife-beaters when I can, although I am a lawyer so this rules out work hours.

I also try to avoid being outside in the heat of the day (~10:00 - 2:00).

Good luck with your efforts.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today was ok, I only got a little ill at the end of several hours outside in the evening. I do get panicked though so after I start feeling ill I begin to have a bit of a panic attack as well, I had to go in the AC for awhile, the heat was making me headachey and tired and forgetful.