Notices

Gratitude

Old 05-15-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude

So, the youngest daughter graduated with her bachelor's (with honors!) Saturday. The ceremony was great but quite lengthy, so I was prone to a little mind-wandering.

If she would have graduated a couple years ago, I would have been hung-over for it. I would have tried to keep it within reason, but it IS saturday after all. Let's not try to fool anybody...

I would have got up late (or ridiculously early with my panic) and started my medicinal routine while simultaneously getting dressed and making my wife nervous too. -As much orange or tomato juice as I could stomach, maybe some pepto or tums,eye-drops, ibuprofen (or vicodin!) about 15 cigarettes and most likely a solid dose of ativan right before leaving.

Once at the arena (of my alma mater), I would be careful to avoid everyone I knew as much as possible, just getting by talking and fake smiling to whoever I absolutely had to.

I would have played a good game, as I was an academy-grade actor in those days. -even with my sweaty palms and breath mints. -but I would have been dying to get to the reception dinner where I could celebrate (read:get right) with everyone.

Instead if that routine, I helped the wife's older father navigate around and interpreted for him when he couldn't hear folks. I was present 100% for my daughter and wife. I truly felt all of my feelings (a mixed bag) and was at peace with the whole deal.

After all was done I slept well with no lingering thoughts of having said stupid crap out of anxiety and inebriation.

When I was daydreaming during the ceremony I thought about how we seem to often speak of "white-knuckling" in sobriety. -It's kinda funny though, "white knuckling" was exactly how I felt much of the time during my drinking days...

I'm grateful. So very grateful. This is one milestone and proud father moment that is untainted. Another gift in a series of many.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to your daughter - and to you Lev

D
Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanx, D.!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great to hear. And oh so familiar.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very nice story.

You were able to be there in the moment for yourself and for everyone who needs you.

Gratitude is truly the word for this blessing.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great post, Leviathan! Congrats to your daughter, and to you on a great day reaping the benefits of sobriety.

Delfin
Old 05-17-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big big congrats Leviathan my neice is taking her final uni exam this morning waiting for her to call for some revision before she goes in

Congratulations
Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Congrats!

Dealing w life sober has a whole new set of issues that seem to revolve around others more than ourselves.

Being a drunk is a pretty selfish act.

Knowing that is another tool in our sober chest.