Notices

Antidepressants for Alcoholics

Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressants for Alcoholics

Hello all, I'm in early recovery and have been prescribed anti-depressants in the past for depression/anxiety. Part of my recovery plan is to really dedicate myself to a healthy body, including losing the 50+ pounds I've put on over the past 8 years. I have always loved hiking and being athletic outdoors, and I see being able to do these things again as part of a sober, healthy, and happy life. I am also going through some large life changes, many due to my drinking and have quite a bit of anxiety around these. I know there are a lot of active things I can and will be doing to support my recovery (therapy, in it now, AA meetings, and so on), but I do think that antidepressant medications can be a tool in the recovery toolkit.

I was on Cymbalta for 6 years, followed by Lexapro for 1.5 years (and drank while I used these, not good, I know). That's when I really packed on the pounds. I am sure part of this was from drinking and an unhealthy diet and lifestyle, but from my research I also think part of this was from the medications - SSRIs do cause weight gain and make losing weight harder for some people.

I have been trying Wellbutrin over the last month as it's supposed to not cause weight gain (and in fact help with weight loss), but it's made me more anxious, and I am already an anxious person so I don't think it's right for me.

Does anyone have any experience with anti-depressants they want to share? Ones that they have found particularly supportive to their sobriety/recovery? Any that they have found also allowed them to lead a healthy, active life without significant weight gain?

Thank you to all who respond.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No advice to give but I can relate. I tried one anti depressant that gave me anxiety (I think it was celexa). Than i tried welbutrin and it's a good fit for me. No idea why that one works better for me. I know it's scary because we never know how a medication is going to effect us. I really appreciate my dr bc we email back and forth and when I am on a new med he makes sure I email him weekly in case there are any changes. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find our right match.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you spoken to your Dr.? I have 9 months sober and weaning off of Prozac and Trazodone. I took them for 20 years. Withdrawal is no picnic and I'm afraid I may have damaged my "wiring" and altered my natural feel-good chemicals by using toxic chemicals in my mind and body. If I feel I need something it will something natural, herb, etc.....Some people absolutely need these medications, don't get me wrong, but I wish I hadn't started on them.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I took a supplement 5htp to help with depression at one point. I only gained about 10lbs and no idea if it was from the supplement to be honest but I did some reading and there was some info out there stating it can cause weight gain etc.. I quit taking it and the 10lbs just fell back off again so whatever. It got me through some of the darker days I suppose.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
Have you spoken to your Dr.? I have 9 months sober and weaning off of Prozac and Trazodone. I took them for 20 years. Withdrawal is no picnic and I'm afraid I may have damaged my "wiring" and altered my natural feel-good chemicals by using toxic chemicals in my mind and body. If I feel I need something it will something natural, herb, etc.....Some people absolutely need these medications, don't get me wrong, but I wish I hadn't started on them.
Oldsoul......I did not think that prozac and trazodone (for sleep??) were addicting. At least that is what my doctor has told me. Did you go through withdrawal from these? You can PM me if you want ot share this with me- didn't mean to hijack thread but very curious what your experience was with these drugs. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Oldsoul......I did not think that prozac and trazodone (for sleep??) were addicting. At least that is what my doctor has told me. Did you go through withdrawal from these? You can PM me if you want ot share this with me- didn't mean to hijack thread but very curious what your experience was with these drugs. Thanks for sharing.
Hi...I don't know about addicting like heroin or Ativan but as with anything a dependency can be formed by our habitual thinking or by chemicals. For example coffee or cigarettes and when stopped can have uncomfortable side effects. My Dr. gave me Ativan for anxiety and when I read up on it I threw it out. Without the Prozac I have brain zaps, dizziness, manic episodes. Without the Trazodone sleep is difficult. At first 2 whole nights without it. Withdrawals can last awhile. Hope that helps.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on sertraline (Zoloft) for a long time. When I was drinking, it didn't help me at all. Now that I'm sober, it does what it should and my depression is manageable. I've had no problem with weight gain, but then I'm skinny by nature.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on Celexa (citalopram) and have lost 25 lbs since giving up booze without even trying. I think alcohol played a large role in my weight gain as opposed to meds.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i was put on cymbalta at about a year sober. by the grace of God it worked for me.

you mention you were on it for 6 years. mind if i ask why the change after 6 years?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had several in the past and got along pretty good with Wellbutrin. I actually lost weight on it and if you smoke it has an amazing effect that reduces your desire to smoke.

I highly recommend you follow the advice of your psychiatrist or find one that you trust. Finding an antidepressant that works for you is a very complex thing and requires professional expertise.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been on antidepressants for 20-something years. I took SSRIs for a long time, but for the past several years I have taken Effexor, a SNRI (just a different class of antidepressant) which works very well for me. I did, however, have to have my dose adjusted for whatever reason after I quit.

The same medications may act very differetly with different people. If you are not happy with the one you are currently taking, talk to your doctor about trying a different one. You may also find that since you aren't drinking, weight gain may be a non-issue this time around.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm on meds and haven't had issues with weight. In my case when I'm depressed I kind of don't move. So being not depressed also means exercising and sports and other things. If there's any weight issue it must be balanced out by that.

One note about anxiety in the first month... my doctor told me that this can often happen when you're just starting on a med. She said that for some people you get your energy back before the mood stabilizing effects kick in, so it feels temporarily that things have gotten worse.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I would have thought anti-depressants would be very good for treating depression, but they were no use in treating the self pity I had as a result of my alcoholism. There isn''t anything in a bottle that can fix alcoholism.

Interestingly I read of a study the other day that showed alcoholism can be a causal effect for depression, but conversely that depression did not cause alcholism. More research required they said.

I heard a woman speak in a meeting one time about this. She had decided to come off some SSRI because she was pregnant. She was six months sober. She said she was experiencing all the crappy feelings that go with the first few months sober. It was like the SSRI had only postponed the discomfort. She had not managed to avoid it completely.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Yep many alcoholics have underlying depression and anxiety that need anti depressant medication to set it right

I'm one

V
Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Always best to talk to the doc first, I have used Ativan in the past as it's fast, no side effects for me and always works, I would caution you however, Ativan is addictive and trust me getting off this stuff in my experience was as hard as quitting drinking however I had been on it for years, for me I still take it if the anxiety attack is bad and walking/meditation/yoga doesn't work. So I may take it four times a month tops, some months mothing. Please be aware this medication does to our brain, the same thing as alcohol, it's critical that you do not take it and drink at all. It is meant to be a short term fix, once again in my experience.

All the best
Andrew
Old 05-02-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i was put on cymbalta at about a year sober. by the grace of God it worked for me.

you mention you were on it for 6 years. mind if i ask why the change after 6 years?
Yes, in hindsight it was probably a mistake to come off it. It worked for me but at the time there was no generic for it and it was costing me $175 a month, plus I didn't like the idea of being on a drug to make me feel good. Now that there is a generic I may ask to try that again. I am seeing the Dr today.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been on anti depressants most of my adult life. I was diagnosed with depression as a child. I drank as a way to self medicate- even drink using them.
I feel they have saved my life. In fact I think many who drink are just trying to self medicate. I do worry about getting off them some day. My doctor (psychiatrist ) has assured me over and over that I can stop these at any time and have no issue. Is that true? I hope so. I do worry about the long term use of them- will they damage my liver? I am older now....and in a good spot (most of time) and do not think I would be where I am now without them.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Bethany57, I have come off antidepressants twice, once when I took myself off Cymbalta, and more recently when I came off Lexapro. The withdrawal effects of coming off each one were unpleasant for me, but certainly not intolerable. What I did find, however, is that my anxiety increased and the positive aspects of my outlook on life decreased. I love the idea of not being on these at all at some point - I otherwise eat well, exercise and believe in holistic healing approaches - but I also feel, at this point in my life, that they are a crucial ally and tool in my sobriety toolbox.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

A few years ago, during a period of sobriety, I tried Wellbutrin (had no effect), Zoloft (made me feel very suicidal), Celexa (wanted to sleep all the time), Cymbalta (effects similar to Celexa), and Effexor (effects similar to Zoloft). In my experience, SSRI's, in general, made me feel really strange, like I was in a fog all the time.

So, to answer your question, none of the meds I tried helped with the alcohol or the depression problem. Over the years, I also took Naltrexone, Campral, and Antabuse to deal specifically with my alcoholism. Antabuse was a good deterrent, when I actually took it. It did nothing for the cravings, so I just quit taking it. The other 2 had no effect.

The only thing that has worked for me (aside from getting thrown from my car and breaking my neck) has been working the program of AA. I resisted it for 99% of my drinking career. So far, that 1% has made all the difference in the world!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sunny.....I agree...a tool in your tool box. If I had high blood pressure or diabetes I would be OK taking some medication to control them right? What has really helped me is diet and exercise. Sugar as well as alcohol is an addiction for me. When I eat healthy and exercise I am happier. But why is it so hard to do? I will eat healthy and exercise for a few days and then go on a binge and eat bad for a few days. I think with the combination of eating well, exercising, anti depressants put me in a very good spot - but it is hard to maintain I am always falling off the healthy eating wagon. I wish there was a support group for that! Sunny.....I wish you all the very best.