View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SunnyDenver

Antidepressants for Alcoholics

Hello all, I'm in early recovery and have been prescribed anti-depressants in the past for depression/anxiety. Part of my recovery plan is to really dedicate myself to a healthy body, including losing the 50+ pounds I've put on over the past 8 years. I have always loved hiking and being athletic outdoors, and I see being able to do these things again as part of a sober, healthy, and happy life. I am also going through some large life changes, many due to my drinking and have quite a bit of anxiety around these. I know there are a lot of active things I can and will be doing to support my recovery (therapy, in it now, AA meetings, and so on), but I do think that antidepressant medications can be a tool in the recovery toolkit.

I was on Cymbalta for 6 years, followed by Lexapro for 1.5 years (and drank while I used these, not good, I know). That's when I really packed on the pounds. I am sure part of this was from drinking and an unhealthy diet and lifestyle, but from my research I also think part of this was from the medications - SSRIs do cause weight gain and make losing weight harder for some people.

I have been trying Wellbutrin over the last month as it's supposed to not cause weight gain (and in fact help with weight loss), but it's made me more anxious, and I am already an anxious person so I don't think it's right for me.

Does anyone have any experience with anti-depressants they want to share? Ones that they have found particularly supportive to their sobriety/recovery? Any that they have found also allowed them to lead a healthy, active life without significant weight gain?

Thank you to all who respond.