Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Went through actual Alcohol Withdrawal...Thought I was going to die!

Notices

Went through actual Alcohol Withdrawal...Thought I was going to die!

Old 04-10-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Have you given some thought to how you'll remain sober, so you never have to experience this again?

In early sobriety, I found it helpful to take lots of walks and change my routine around the time I usually drank.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back, and posted this. The same thing happened to me two weeks ago. It was a good day and I texted a friend, Happy birthday, he ask me to have 2 shots with him. In a moment of weakness, I said okay. Well, 2 weeks later, I'm back at my meetings.

I didn't want to keep drinking, but my withdrawal were so bad, I needed one to stop the pain. Mine are usually bad backaches, which I think are my kidneys and the usually headaches.

Strange thing is, I didn't want to drink and do not know why I said yes.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Carvin, no one yelled at me at the ER They gave me IV fluids and vitamins and a sedative to make me comfortable. They were very nice, calm and reassuring. No one batted an eye when I said I was there for alcohol withdrawal. I went alone, showed up in a cab and was still treated like a human. Trust me, they are seeing it more and more than you think.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got through that Carvin

D
Old 04-10-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

This is why my life motto is F@ck Day One!
I don't have it in me to survive the unbearable, soul destroying anxiety let alone the 'wish I were dead' physical meltdown a withdrawl produces....my last day one (two and three) nearly killed me and I'm never bringing that kind of hell upon myself again! FD1!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Glad you ok Carvin, I hope you never experience that again. And if by the slim chance you do, please don't hesitate to seek medical help.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This disease kills, plain and simple. Im very glad you survived. Stay with us.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rahrah View Post
This is why my life motto is F@ck Day One!
I don't have it in me to survive the unbearable, soul destroying anxiety let alone the 'wish I were dead' physical meltdown a withdrawl produces....my last day one (two and three) nearly killed me and I'm never bringing that kind of hell upon myself again! FD1!

you are my hero
Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I've heard of people who can't afford medically supervised detox taking a blanket and big book and sitting in the ER waiting room while detoxing. If things get too bad, they can shout out and get treatment. If not, they avoid the $10K or so hospital bill.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
Happy to hear you are ok. Detox at home is no joke. Scarier than that is that last week, I kept thinking I really could NOT stop this time because the detox would kill me. So I went on a nonstop bender also and it almost did kill me. What a stupid idea.

I had the same song playing over and over. Only when the fan was on though. Still having the nightmares after 6 days.
To me the Nightmares were REALLY HORRIBLE more like night terrifying! Usually Nightmares don't make me really even jump, but withdrawal nightmares have me jumping almost our of bed and scared to go back to sleep!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the warm encouragement, advice, and nice words.
For those of you asking about next plans to make sure I don't have to go through that again, I'm not sure yet, right now I'm just going day to day as I'm still foggy and recovering from that nightmare, once I get my head fully back i'll come up with something, I know for a FACT I wont be drinking thats for sure.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

OMG W/D is awful.
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.
I had like an out of body experience where I was watching myself from above. I couldn't talk. I couldn't formulate thoughts. I was an absolute wreck. I remember I had netflix playing and it sounded really SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW and garbled...like an old record on a record player when something goes wrong. I couldn't walk a straight line...I was banging into walls etc. It was horrid. And I swore I would never drink again after that. But I had no plan and so I drank again.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I've heard of people who can't afford medically supervised detox taking a blanket and big book and sitting in the ER waiting room while detoxing. If things get too bad, they can shout out and get treatment. If not, they avoid the $10K or so hospital bill.
That wouldn't work for me, I couldn't sit down long enough to read anything, and then even if I could, I would have freaked out by the words or something.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Holy crap, that sounds like hell. I'm with others here, don't try this at home, kids. Alcohol is supposed to be the most dangerous drug to withdraw from. You'd think it'd be heroin or crack or meth, but it's alcohol. There is no reason to go through this agony....doctors and ERs have many medications that can make withdrawal as painless as possible. Glad you are ok, my friend!