Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Went through actual Alcohol Withdrawal...Thought I was going to die!

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went on my first binder in I can't remember when. It all started on a nice Saturday, I got drunk and thought "its ok i'll just take my hangover tomorrow and all will be well just like the old days when I was in college" NOPE woke up that sunday with a hangover and here I go taking a shot of vodka after to make it go away, and that started the cycle. Wound up getting drunk again, then all that week, I'm sneaking alcohol at work to keep the hangover away, this went on for about 14 days or so, then I said screw this I got to get off this before I hurt myself or something, so I did and found the feeling I got was much worse than a hangover, Here is what I experienced while quitting
Racing heart
Slight chest pain
extreme anxiety to the point of I couldn't sit down at times
swollen tongue
feelings of peaces of food and hair on my tongue
insomnia
audio hallucinations (could here music coming out of my heater vent)
visual hallucinations ( seeing bugs, and thought one of my pilled up shirts turned into a puppy one night)
Paranoia
feelings that I was going to die at any moment, I didn't sleep for 4 days because I was certain I would die in my sleep.
Nausea
Diarrhea
bad confusion (at one point I didn't even recognize my own street and couldn't figure out what key unlocked my doors.
Nightmares when I finally did go to sleep.
and finally a strange feeling when I walked almost like an invisible force field was swaying me from side to side as I walked.

THAT was the WORST thing I have EVER been through. This went on for about 3 days straight then significantly began to improve on the 4th day and by day 6 I felt almost completely normal just tired and a little foggy.
I'm never going through that again EVER! I'm thinking about finding a local AA program or something. Also for those of you who have been drinking a while I recommend not quitting at home unless you know for a fact you aren't going to have a heart attack or something, and don't plan on going anywhere or doing anything for about a week. I took off work and just went for it, but there was a few times I almost called 911 to come get me because I was sure I was about to have a heart attack or freak out.
Be careful everyone.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh my god that sounds terrible. Are you ok now?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to fool around with. People have died due to w/d. The awful anxiety always got me the worst. Couldn't be still, pacing, restless.

Now that I'm sober for good I know I'll never have to go thru that again.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
Oh my god that sounds terrible. Are you ok now?
Hey daisy1
I am happy to say I'm ok now and that experience though terrible made me realize just how stupid and dangerous alcohol can be. It is nothing to be played with and why ON EARTH something that can do that and worse to someone is legal I have no clue!
Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to fool around with. People have died due to w/d. The awful anxiety always got me the worst. Couldn't be still, pacing, restless.

Now that I'm sober for good I know I'll never have to go thru that again.
Yeah I paced all over the house and then all over the neighborhood, I paced so much my pants rubbed my leg hairs down to stubble! The WORST anxiety!
Old 04-10-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're okay. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess around with. I've only had mild ones, luckily, but that's just another reason to stay away from alcohol.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I am SO glad you are okay. I finally had that happen last week as well and went to the ER because it was too much. Rest and eat well, it helps as well
Old 04-10-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel like I have been waiting for a post like this. I can relate to EVERY. SINGLE. ONE of your symptoms. I have been through withdrawal such as this (and posted about it several times on SR) maybe 50-60 times and been to the ER for it 17 times. Like intense withdrawal where you have to drink to keep any of these feelings away, and I was certain I was going to die everytime. The anxiety is indescribable. The nausea, sweats, hallucinations, falling asleep for two
minutes and waking back up in a panic, fear of heart attack, freaking out, and there is no point in hiding it bc everything irritates you- I know this pain. Please contact me if you ever want to talk about it. Mine got so bad in February 2015 I started getting seizures. I don't always seek a doctor bc I hate doctors but honestly everyone should go to the ER if experiencing this situation because your blood pressure is crazy high (mine was always 180 over 90 anytime I had a nurse do my vitals. I think 200 is stroke level).
Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Take it easy my friend. I know exactly what you went through.

The crazy thing was I did it more than once. Or twice. Or three times.

I thought the music coming out of the vents was kind of funny in my case. The comical search for the music that didn't exist.

The hallucinations were not so funny.

Stay safe and don't drink again. It doesn't get better.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hangovers are a mild kind of alcohol withdrawal, but as you discovered it gets much worse if you keep a bender going for days or weeks starting with "hair of the dog". There comes a time when you have to pay for all of that. My worst withdrawal was my last, after a 3-week continuous bender, and I had all of those symptom plus being almost unable to walk, and I wasn't ready to call an ambulance so I was forced to just tough it out with no meds. It was hell that went of for several days, before I was able to do basic things like take a shower and leave the house. 10 years ago, I would never have guessed that alcohol withdrawal could be so horrible.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Carvin! Good to hear you are feeling much better now. Have you got a few days sober now?

As others have said, alcohol withdrawal can be quite dangerous. A thing called "kindling" causes withdrawals to become worse with every time, as well. Good news is it is all avoided 100 percent with total abstinence from alcohol.

Also for those of you who have been drinking a while I recommend not quitting at home
Wise words!

Glad you are here with us!
Old 04-10-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cornpone View Post
I feel like I have been waiting for a post like this. I can relate to EVERY. SINGLE. ONE of your symptoms. I have been through withdrawal such as this (and posted about it several times on SR) maybe 50-60 times and been to the ER for it 17 times. Like intense withdrawal where you have to drink to keep any of these feelings away, and I was certain I was going to die everytime. The anxiety is indescribable. The nausea, sweats, hallucinations, falling asleep for two
minutes and waking back up in a panic, fear of heart attack, freaking out, and there is no point in hiding it bc everything irritates you- I know this pain. Please contact me if you ever want to talk about it. Mine got so bad in February 2015 I started getting seizures. I don't always seek a doctor bc I hate doctors but honestly everyone should go to the ER if experiencing this situation because your blood pressure is crazy high (mine was always 180 over 90 anytime I had a nurse do my vitals. I think 200 is stroke level).
What did they do at the ER? I didn't go because I was so scared they would yell at me. and I couldn't take any yelling at in the condition I was in.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Carvin nobody is going you scold for checking in for withdrawal. Either admit yourself to the ER by ambulance or have someone drive you. they will treat it as a see-now emergency because withdrawal is life threatening. no joke. They'll get your vitals as they prep you for your bed - you'll typically receive an intravenous saline drip and benzos (Ativan, lorazepam etc) for the anxiety and to help you rest. Honestly I have had a few doctors and nurses cut me off or give me very little Ativan because like many who visit the ER some will assume you're a junkie or a drug abuser and under medicate which is a horrible feeling too. just be honest about how much you drink and let them take care of you. my big worry was my family, they always get pi$zed at me when i check myself into detox because they have to put up with me whenever I get home :p

anyway after that they will monitor you, depending on your state will send you home to make room for other patients, send you to an outer rehab facility, or send you home with no benzos to finish out your acute withdrawal symptoms. they see it so often in hospitals it can be tough to say where you'll get the best care
Old 04-10-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by CarvinDC125 View Post
What did they do at the ER? I didn't go because I was so scared they would yell at me. and I couldn't take any yelling at in the condition I was in.
The ER will stabilize your vitals and sometimes give you meds to prevent further compications and such...just like they would for any other medical emergency. They see a LOT of people in withdrawals. They can also recommend local detox/rehab/recovery options.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 04-10-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Take it easy my friend. I know exactly what you went through.

The crazy thing was I did it more than once. Or twice. Or three times.

I thought the music coming out of the vents was kind of funny in my case. The comical search for the music that didn't exist.

The hallucinations were not so funny.

Stay safe and don't drink again. It doesn't get better.
Yeah I kept hearing a faint radio at first I thought it was just my neighbor had a DJ and everything, but it kept playing the same song over and over and then the DJ would come on and the pattern started over, then I started looking for it of course, and just happened to glance at my heater vent and heard it coming from there, and thats when I realized "Oh boy I'm in BIG trouble"
Old 04-10-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cornpone View Post
Carvin nobody is going you scold for checking in for withdrawal. Either admit yourself to the ER by ambulance or have someone drive you. they will treat it as a see-now emergency because withdrawal is life threatening. no joke. They'll get your vitals as they prep you for your bed - you'll typically receive an intravenous saline drip and benzos (Ativan, lorazepam etc) for the anxiety and to help you rest. Honestly I have had a few doctors and nurses cut me off or give me very little Ativan because like many who visit the ER some will assume you're a junkie or a drug abuser and under medicate which is a horrible feeling too. just be honest about how much you drink and let them take care of you. my big worry was my family, they always get pi$zed at me when i check myself into detox because they have to put up with me whenever I get home :p

anyway after that they will monitor you, depending on your state will send you home to make room for other patients, send you to an outer rehab facility, or send you home with no benzos to finish out your acute withdrawal symptoms. they see it so often in hospitals it can be tough to say where you'll get the best care
Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The ER will stabilize your vitals and sometimes give you meds to prevent further conplicarin and such...just like they would for any other medical emergency. They see a LOT of people in withdrawals. They can also recommend local detox/rehab/recovery options.
I see so it probably wouldn't have been that bad to go to the ER.
Luckily I am through the acute part of the withdrawal and just feel really drained like anyone would after a major traumatic event. Yesterday was the first day I felt like myself again.
I feel dumb for not going to the ER I probably could have avoided 5 days of pure hell.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Oh yeah...all that sounds painfully familiar. I'm glad you included in your post that it is unwise to go through withdrawal at home alone. It is very dangerous and potentially deadly. I got to the point that drinking to avoid withdrawal quit working because it was affecting my liver and making me very sick. I had to be hospitalized to detox. You described the symptoms very well. Mine progressed into DT's (I guess) the last time. I went psychotic and had to be strapped down for days.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, I've never had withdrawal and this is a good reminder to stop while I'm ahead xo
Old 04-10-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep I had some country rock coming out of my heat vent. Only when the furnace was on though.
I finally figured out it was auditory hallucinations when the Gregorian chanting started coming out of the top corner of my bathtub. Interesting stuff.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy to hear you are ok. Detox at home is no joke. Scarier than that is that last week, I kept thinking I really could NOT stop this time because the detox would kill me. So I went on a nonstop bender also and it almost did kill me. What a stupid idea.

I had the same song playing over and over. Only when the fan was on though. Still having the nightmares after 6 days.