Notices

The 1st hot season sober in years.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The 1st hot season sober in years.

Today, I woke up horrible depressed. I'll preface this by saying that I know I am a total freak when it comes to this, and that I have been this way since I was a kid.

I woke up depressed because daylight savings is the marker of the longest and most anxiety ridden time of the year for me. Seven months of unbearably long daylight hours, which I do not like (I prefer cooler skies and shorter days with longer nights), imminent heat and another early and oppressive hot, humid season, and all the noise, crowds, sirens, traffic, stink, and just everything in life being CRANKED UP volume wise and in every way intensified in the summer. It makes me a nervous, irritable, withdrawn wreck. I cannot stand the daylight hours and glaring relentless sun that never ends and the long, long days, they are a nightmare for me. Being physically uncomfortable as well as living with anxieties that will be through the roof for 7 months is intimidating and depressing... I haven't even left bed today.

I just ask that even though you may be thinking in your mind that I am nuts, can you please not tell me how much you love the hot weather? Because that's another thing I have to put up with for 7 months. This all really makes me miserable on a lot of levels. I do not know a single person like me that has this situation. For months I have to hear everyone talk about how great hot weather is while I am practically a shivering wreck in a dark corner trying to stay as cool as possible so I don't lose my mind. Not to mention I have had mild heat stroke in the past, which even mildly is not something you want to play with. So it's like everyone saying how great this thing that can kill me is- heat stroke can be deadly.Then in the short few months where I actually feel good, I have to hear everyone complain about how horrible and cold it is, and we don't even have winters here anymore! We had pretty much one light dusting of snow all winter and It sucks. I LOVE snow. I think it's beautiful and I like walking around in it, and the silence and calm that befalls the city.

Yes, I am a freak. But I am also really filled with dread and nervous and seriously considering just becoming a shut in for the next 7 months.

Those benzos were a god send during this time and I don't have that now and I can't drink my way through either. If I could just pick up and move even farther north trust me, I would.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
orangutan

Am I ever with you on this one, I HATE daylight savings and I HATE summer , this years has been weeks on end of long hot humid days , it is suppose to be Autumn in Australia but it is not getting any cooler.
Give me winter any day.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wahoo! I am not a solitary freak! I have heard about the heat spell in Australia. Sucks! I hate when you can't even move or get a proper walk in the day because you have to wait for the sun to go down, and at that point it's practically bed time.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Sleepie.....it's OK to spend the day in bed I don't care for the hot weather like I used to & have been reminding people who are complaining about the winter weather that it will be here before we know it & they'll be complaining about the heat! Maybe you could create a "cool" space for yourself. Maybe a room where there is heavy curtains to block out the sunlight, maybe a ceiling fan & a cooler you could fill with ice to "keep your cool" maybe an arctic decor? I know it's a far cry from year round winter but just a thought? Have you tried meditation & looked at mindefness for the anxiety? It is very helpful to me. I've learned that it is up to me alone to put things in place & make them a practice in order for it to be helpful. Great going on you clean & sober time!!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey sleepie! I also prefer winter, the calm and quiet that comes with the snow, and the shorter days. This will be my first full summer without alcohol and benzos as well. We can do this!!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I much prefer spring to summer. I don't do well in intense heat and humidity.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mariah, all that stuff yes I can do. I have been meaning to get back into meditation. You know how it is... like exercise or diet, you mean to and mean to. I think I'll do a 10 minute sitting before we go to the market today.

As far as the dark curtain and decor- I read about this years ago. So you know, there's a name for everything and some people actually have a reverse SAD kinda thing, but I think maybe more of a manic tendency comes with it. Anyway they suggested things like what you said, keeping a cool dark room and all. Maybe I will try this. I don't like to use air condition ing because I am afraid of not being acclimated enough and getting heat stroke again. So I'll have to figure it out.

Sobrie Tee, ok, we are on the same page! Let's keep in touch here with all of it
Old 03-13-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Spring would be doable if it didn't remind me of the dreaded summer... Another thing that makes it unbearable is the glaring, intense sunlight bouncing off all the sidewalks and streets, without any shade. I think the urban summers are just awful. Everything just bakes without relief and all the buildings and concrete just make it feel like an oven 24/7. Back in the 90's hundreds of people died here because there was a black out that lasted for a couple days so nobody had air conditioning. I can't imagine dying of heat because even my brush was heat stroke was hands down the scariest and most painful thing I've ever had like that. It was so difficult to breathe and I was so weak I could barely dial 911 or speak.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Working close with your physician to help
identify chemical imbalances within our bodies
that affect our moods, behaviors, anxiety,
depression, etc is extremely important and
to not be ecnored.

Making sure they are aware of our addictions
and recovery and stand firm to not have any
meds if administered that are habit forming
or narcotic.

Doctors and our physicians are available
to us to use accordingly. Just be honest.

I agree with MariahGayle and all that she
shared with you.

We don't have to live miserable. We
can use so many things around us with
imagination and make our surrounds
adapted to our own needs and comfort.

You can leave the hot outside and make
you little world inside as if it were Winter.
Think of all the things you could decorate
with to make your world a Winter Wonder
land.

Google for ideas, ask others for suggestions
and youd be surprised what folks can come
up with to help you with this awesome project.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

it is suppose to be Autumn in Australia but it is not getting any cooler.
what she said

I'm not a fan of hot weather at all, but this is my home, so I tolerate it best I can, sleepie.

Hope that it won't be *too* hot for you this summer

D
Old 03-13-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to find some clothes I can stand for summer too. That can help. Years ago I found the lightest weight pants and wore them for years. Now I can't find another pair. Next time I am stocking up. I don't do dresses. I am too active for that and nothing drives me more nuts than having to worry about my physical body while I am trying to do my life... I like to get dressed and go... be able to bike if I like, walk if I like (therefore no sandals or such) and basically not give it a second thought! I tend to layer a bit as well so I don't expose my inks to the sun.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm worried about summertime too, Sleepie. I live in a beachside community and this is my first sober summer. I got sober in June but I spent 2 months in treatment and got out at the end of the summer. There's a lot of wine-ing and dining, beachside parties, cookouts, bonfires etc. down here and I'm worried I'll be tempted.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ugh I hate beaches. Unless it's at night. Or winter!

Just watch some youtube videos or google some alcohol related ills... trust me you won't want to touch a drop and you'll be running for the nearest piece of kale.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

i used to live a mile from the beach never went hated it. was pretty too clear blue water blah blah blah hated the heat the crowds the smell of suntan lotion in the air AAA YUCK! I lived in a hot humid area and moved north So i can relate sleepie.

That being said I dont mind the summers where i'm at they dont typically get too too hot and I can appreciate the pros But you got some really awesome points too there is absolutly nothing like the peace and quiet of a snow storm! no ones on the raods no ones out maken noise etc.. its nice i love it. course in my area the idiots get there snow blowers going promptly there after and there goes the solitude! haha.

I dunno i can see all sides but i also wont be moving south again any time soon. heck i'd like to move even further north even.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi zjw I was meaning to come say "Hi" to you today

Yep I gotta prepare now... clothes, try and sit and do meditation 10 minutes a day to start... the old place sitting was difficult due to the intense noise and never ending sirens with the fire department up the street, and the gang bangers screaming at each other. The old place was right on a desired street for dealing, and we had regular shootings, sometimes multiples a day. This place is a bit quieter.

It irks me so badly that it can't even be an even 6 and 6 months split with daylight savings.... I have to suffer an entire extra month
Old 03-13-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Funny stuff, Sleepie!! I must say I love the long summer days! the summers are wonderful in Colorado, I only turn the air condition on for a month or so.. Hopefully there won't be any wild fires this year, very scary!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm not a fan of hot & humid either. I thought the mountains of Upstate New York would mean no more miserable summers - but there are plenty of hot days. Not many seem to bother with air conditioning.

There's supposedly a petition to abolish Daylight Savings Time. It was started to save energy long ago, but there's no proof that it actually does.

I hope summer is kind to you, Sleepie.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

Lol I've been cursing this day light savings thing all day. Why not just settle 30 min in the middle and leave the dang clocks alone!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm ok with being in humidity and heat if I can be near water or in the woods.
I despise urban heat ( though I like going for walks in the city at night)

What I dread every summer is not being able to sleep, I can't sleep in heat.
I have a new place with a yard so I'll probably just sleep in it with a sleeping bag, sometimes also sleep in the back of a pick up truck.
Its winter here and I sleep with the window open and the heating vents closed.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And like the others, I hate noise, I HATE noise.