Notices

The 1st hot season sober in years.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
orangutan

Noise hater here too!
Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Getting out of the old neighborhood was a big help as far as noise. I am not kidding, it sounded like a war zone there. Automatic weapons and once even a SWAT team, fugitives and calls to people in the area instructing them to stay away from windows.

The sleepless nights are awful. Hot, sticky, fever dream half sleep, waking up exhausted and bedraggled only to start sweating as soon as you're out of the shower. Maybe we can have a "stay cool" thread... for 7 months!

I would love if they got rid of daylight savings Hevyn. I was in NYC and upstate NY many years ago. It was a very hot week in July- 104 everyday!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah when i was in florida you woke up hot took a hot shower got out you sweated. went outside to go to your car you sweat more get in car its hot you sweat til it finally cools down then you ask yourself wtf did i take a shower for? fight the traffic and conjestion in the concrete jungle forget all that.

This is all reminding me why i moved north. I might hate my job but i can look out my window and see a great mountain view each day watch the birds and hawks fly over and the geese migrate each year etc.. I see woods and fields out my window and a few houses it works for me.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know what you mean Sleepie x
Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I hate summer too. Just sayin'.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Please come and just say, anytime.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I used to hate summers too when I lived in an urban area. There's something very depressing and oppressive about urban heat. It's relentless and beats you down into a wilted nothing. Ugh, let me not remember it. I'm not exactly out in the country now, but it's much better than most of the places I lived so I'm okay with summer now. Still, I definitely can understand why you and other folks don't like it.

D.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I don't tolerate the heat and humidity very well. However, I'm not a fan of the extreme cold, either! Fall is by far my favorite season, not too hot, not too cold.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

you'll be running for the nearest piece of kale
Not a fan of the heat either. I'm super pale and my ancestry as a rule are chilly people . I had heat exhaustion a couple of times as a teenager and it was awful so I have to be careful.

I'll be cranking up the a/c with you, Sleepie!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

We are going to have to have a summer thread... I have horrible visions of the future being nothing but dry, cracked earth with it's inhabitants scrambling for shelter from the scorching sun and fighting for water as global warming heats things up to un inhabitable conditions...

Really though I do suggest watching some youtube videos about drugs/drinking if you are having a craving, it will make you stop in your tracks.

It makes me sad to think of throwing one's life away for the sake of a few glassfuls of substance. I mean it's rather absurd if you put a little thought into it.

Not that life is a freaking rosebed or anything cause it sure ain't...
Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Delfin!

How's my favorite bespectacled marine critter?
Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm with you. Summers in Virginia are humid and relentless -- at least to me they are! Fall is now like the old summers. Spring, well, I'm allergic to everything outside it seems! I'm a colder weather person like you. Maybe it's my Canadian blood (I'm half). I find myself decorating for autumn around mid-August as if my decorations will make the cooler weather arrive sooner. And you think you're crazy :-)

Hang in there. It's time to crank up the AC!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sorry for those of you for whom heat and sunshine are unpleasant.

Where I live, we have 4 prototypical seasons.

I like all but winter, which is mild compared to up north.

When it's hot outside, I put on a wife-beater, shorts and running shoes and enjoy myself.

It's a headache when I have to dress up to meet with clients or go to court, but I have cotton blend suits for those days.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

wife-beater
OMG

I live in sleeveless *ahem* 'beaters in the summer.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
zjw

Lol yep bought my first wife beater for running last summer it's great but comical prior I wore the ones they call "shooters" no idea why hahahha neither are my style but I gotta stay cool and at least try to avoid my usual farmers tan.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You want heat and humidity? Come here to the Philippines, lol. Fortunately I live on a hill and there's a breeze. At night it feels delicious. But anywhere else and the humidity is stifling. And soon the even hotter summer months will be here, but I will head back to the Pacific Northwest where summers are usually delightful. It's definitely best to be here in SE Asia during the North American winter.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

LOL zjw

I would love to see the Pacific Northwest. I will be priced out of my city someday sooner than later, I can't imagine it is much worse. I am sure I would expire in the Philippines. No thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm the exact opposite - I am completely miserable during the winter. The short days and cold temps are brutal for me. So while I can't commiserate with you about the warm weather Sleepie, I do understand hating a season and gritting your teeth to get through it.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Hi Delfin!

How's my favorite bespectacled marine critter?
Sleeeeps! We'll definitely need a summer thread to support all those who struggle with the season. Summer is also hard because of the barbeque/booze association. Don't know if anyone else struggles with that...
I got sober at the end of last july so I haven't gone through an entire summer sober. Ok, let's cross that bridge when we come to it. Are you ok with AC, Sleeps? It gives me something I call a dog cough, so I just get through with a fan.

D.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I used to hate summers too when I lived in an urban area. There's something very depressing and oppressive about urban heat. It's relentless and beats you down into a wilted nothing. Ugh, let me not remember it. I'm not exactly out in the country now, but it's much better than most of the places I lived so I'm okay with summer now. Still, I definitely can understand why you and other folks don't like it.

D.
Totally agree about Urban heat. Absolutely horrible in the day