Notices

60 and still drinking

Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

60 and still drinking

I told my self I would quit drinking when I turned 40, then 50, and now 60, and still at it. Not only drinking, taking Xanax, and ambien. I want to be alcohol and drug free. I have become dependent on this. I am wondering if I should go to outpatient. I think I can detox at home, I am looking for a doctor that specializes in addiction. My son's are addicts too. I am just sick of it.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Enabler!

I see that you have been a member here for a while. Why not try relying on us for a little help, and read around and post more often?

There are many members here who have dealt with alcohol and benzo addiction, as well as insomnia. I know you would gain a lot by sharing their experience, strength, and hope.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This would be a good time to stop drinking. And, you could set an example for your sons. It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you begin detoxing because it can be dangerous. If outpatient would work for you, that's a good option.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Enabler - welcome back

If you're on several meds and drinking I really think the best course for you is to consult a Dr.

An at home detox is risky at the best of times (even if you've done it before) - why take a risk?

D
Old 02-23-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Enabler1 View Post
I told my self I would quit drinking when I turned 40, then 50, and now 60, and still at it. Not only drinking, taking Xanax, and ambien. I want to be alcohol and drug free. I have become dependent on this. I am wondering if I should go to outpatient. I think I can detox at home, I am looking for a doctor that specializes in addiction. My son's are addicts too. I am just sick of it.
I told myself I would quit lots of times too. And I didn't for the same reason - I was physically dependant.

I think seeing a doctor is a great idea..and I'd suggest doing that first before trying to detox or secure a treatment option. Benzos and alcohol is a pretty dangerous combo not only to be taking together, but especially trying to detox from. I'd highly recommend you speak with a doctor that specializes in addiction if you can find one to figure out a safe detox first. That could even involve outpatient...so be prepared that it may be suggested.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Definitely consult with your doctor to detox safely.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
now's the time

The other thing about detoxing with medical help is that it makes it really REAL. I've quit probably 30 times or more, but only once with professional help. It was so much easier and less frightening, but it also meant that people knew what was going on. My doctors knew, my family knew. So I really committed then, without even thinking about it. The other times it was always a secret, so no one knew to be disappointed for me when I started up again! If you really want to be done, I think it's a really good way to get it into your head that this is really happening this time.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. Booze and benzos addict here, too. I feel so much better off the stuff! I agree with the others. I needed medical detox. Alcohol and benzos are the most dangerous substances to detox from. You CAN actually die. Make sure you call your physician. I highly suggest hospitalization for detox. You are taking the first step to a new life!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with the others, Enabler; an appointment with your doctor would be a good first step. Detoxing alone can be dangerous, especially if you have been abusing both alcohol and prescription medications.

Stay close to SR; there is so much support here. There is always someone here who cares and who truly wants to see you succeed.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really good advice here esp Anna's D's & Scott's

Know that you can do this listen to that good voice however quiet listen to it 'you can get sober' 'you cash do this'

Wishing you the best in recovery
Old 02-23-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Finding a doc that deals with addiction is a great start.
If it is possible, why not do a medical detox!...the extra support could be just what is needed to make this time stick.
Also, it could be a good example for your boys.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

if your ready go for it. 60 is still pretty young and you can recover and have a nice healthy life. I'd go for it.

I guess ask yourself are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? if yes then yeah quit and you wont be sick and tired no more!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Changed Insurance

Been on the phone with BC/BS trying to change insurance to get into a good detox hospital, thank goodness I was able to change. I had until Feb 29th to make the change. Now, I can move forward.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
The other thing about detoxing with medical help is that it makes it really REAL. I've quit probably 30 times or more, but only once with professional help. It was so much easier and less frightening, but it also meant that people knew what was going on. My doctors knew, my family knew. So I really committed then, without even thinking about it. The other times it was always a secret, so no one knew to be disappointed for me when I started up again! If you really want to be done, I think it's a really good way to get it into your head that this is really happening this time.
Great post. I never looked at it that way, but you're absolutely right, medical help made everything very real. Thanks for the perspective.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So glad you're going to a full blown treatment to detox! You will feel so much better when you get all that poison out of your body!

Make recovery your number one mission in life, give it everything you have!! kudos to you!! Wishing you the best!!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you, in taking a big step, in the right direction to get into a good detox hospital. You're also setting an example for your sons.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This...

'if your ready go for it. 60 is still pretty young and you can recover and have a nice healthy life. I'd go for it. '

I up and quit after 42 Years of hitting it increasingly-hard. I was 60, and had consumed the proverbial Ocean Tanker full of Scotch. I'm 63 later this Spring. My Health is fine, and Life is stellar. Knock on Masonite. Not to mention, my Sex Drive is fine. I drive, and the Opposite Sex in the Car tells me what I am doing wrong!

No time like the present, my Friend. Nice Work on setting up that critical First Step of a Plan that needs to work only for one Person: You!

You can do this...
Old 02-23-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, there! I quit this year, because this is the year I'll turn 50! Round numbers can be great motivation. Make 60 your number.

You're on the same mix of junk I was on. Pretty dangerous cocktail. You'd better get some medical help.

Also, no offense intended here, but you've been trying for two decades at least, and you're still at it. Why not get some really, really SERIOUS help, pull out all the stops and just make this happen! What I mean is... consider rehab. It may seem inconvenient but you'd at least get a little sober time stacked up and gain momentum for a solid go at outpatient therapy afterwards.

Go for it. The time is right for you to win.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great news Enabler

D
Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are getting professional help!