Notices

Alcohol will steal your soul....and your abs.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol will steal your soul....and your abs.

My main job as an English Major is reading, writing, and critically analyzing other ideas presented by scholars. Back when I was drinking, I was pretty decent at my job. Sure, I turned in a few scatterbrained papers, but I also turned in papers the instructor asked for my permission to use as an example for future classes. As long as a glass of something was by my side, I could sit and type and never slow down.

The sober version of me sucks at my job. I cannot seem to focus. Most of the reading is rather dense. I read an entire page and, for the life of me, cannot understand what I've just read. The feeling is in stark contrast to how my brain used to work while on the sauce. Doing homework with a glass in my hand felt like no big deal (getting drunk while accomplishing my academic duties; two birds with one stone), however, doing homework today takes me FAR too long and feels like pulling teeth.

I've started taking B vitamin supplements and Fish Oil (which I've heard are good for the functionality of the brain), but does anyone know of other things to do to speed up the cognitive process?
Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I recommend something radical, off the wall. It's worked for me. OK Here goes: a balanced diet consisting of whole foods, no processed stuff. Protein, fat and fiber with every meal. A minimum of 150 minutes of moderate exercise every week, and a workout that hits all the muscle groups twice a week. Add water and regular sleep. Mens sana in corpore sano and stuff.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

crossword puzzles and sudoku, but i hate sudoku, well ok dont hate it just suck at it
plus what he said
Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exercise good sleep and garlic.
Bob
Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How long have you been sober? I had a bit of "Brain fog" for weeks if not months after quitting. I think it just took my brain that long to adjust to not being heavily sedated each and every day.

Eating right and exercise never hurts either.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starflyer View Post
. . . does anyone know of other things to do to speed up the cognitive process?
I know exactly how you feel. I wrote a good portion of my Master's thesis in a bar, where I bought beer by the jug.

And now, coming to the completion of my PhD, my sobriety came just in time (though I wish it had come sooner, of course).

I echo your sentiments about the opening up of the creative juices that alcohol effects. The trouble is, in my experience, there came I time when this ceased to happen.

I would head out to the bar, get in a few glasses - to warm up the mind as it were. But eventually, it happened more frequently that my laptop would remain in its case. The drive and inspiration that the alcohol had formerly given me was gone; the writing fell to the side, and the drinking took the main stage in my mind.

Sure, I would try to get in some writing - whenever deadlines came threatening. But more often I would sit and stare at the screen, then look over at the glass. I'd then pick up the glass, take a large haul from it, then go back to looking at the screen. Then things went the way they invariably and inevitably do with this kind of game. . .

I'd wake up in my apartment - sometimes on the bed, sometimes not - wondering how exactly I had gotten there. I'd often be gripped with panic that I'd somehow left my new laptop at the bar. Then I'd begin to sift through the excuses that I thought I might have already used with my dissertation advisor, trying desperately to come up with a new and convincing one . . .

But as per your question about speeding up the recovery of the mind, I don't really have anything to add apart from the usual recommendations to exercise (for me a massively effective one; long-distance running was my preferred exercise). Anything, really, that will get the serotonin and dopamine coursing throughout the circuits seems to have helped me.

Ultimately, as the Romans said "festina lente" - hurry up and be patient. But as per their other saying "in vino veritas" - don't believe a word of it; it is a pure, unadulterated, unmitigated lie.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am coming up on 30 days sober (22: slowly, but surely). I enjoy swimming for exercise and plan to burn some calories in the pool 3 times a week. If nothing else, swimming really helps abate my insomnia to a degree. As for eating and nutrition, I will most likely need some help, for I know absolutely nothing about food and balancing what to eat.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

What Bob said.............exercise consistently. Also, be aware of being dehydrated. Drink plenty of water. I personally take 5HTP, Fish Oil, and a Multivitamin. Aerobic exercise is the primary help for both my body and my MIND. It will get better.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Starflyer View Post
I am coming up on 30 days sober (22: slowly, but surely). I enjoy swimming for exercise and plan to burn some calories in the pool 3 times a week. If nothing else, swimming really helps abate my insomnia to a degree. As for eating and nutrition, I will most likely need some help, for I know absolutely nothing about food and balancing what to eat.
I was definitely still in a brain fog mode at 30 days, it took a good 2-3 months before things started really clearing out.

If you haven't seen a doctor since you quit for a physical that might be a good idea, they could rule out any physical problems and help you get started on a healthier diet.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hah this reminds me of me so much. I am a psychology major doing my MSc and could write well when drinking. When sober I write terribly I feel and cannot be bothered to write, it is like pulling teeth. I find most reading dull and cannot concentrate, when getting sober I came to a realisation that maybe I wasn't an academic and that I could only tolerate being one because I was drinking heavily. I am a man of action not words I think I maybe realise. After a long period of sobriety and still feeling this way I drank again because my dissertation was dull and I needed to write it so I drank and wrote it. I would quit university in an instance but I have nothing alternative to go to, it is all so mind-numbing, boring, and well pointless. I am trying to stop drinking again, and do not have long to go on my degree.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on over 3 weeks sober your doing excellent as for speeding up the recovery process its not really going to speed up a day is a day if that makes sense don't know if you Journal but that is a excellent tool for reflection

As for food chicken & vegtables is a nice healthy meal ?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi starflyer

I think there's a ceratin amount of brain fog in the early days like Scott said.

If you're like me you drank for years, so it's going to take a little time to feel like you're firing on all cylinders again - but you will.

I felt a lot better after the first 30 days. Hope you will too

Drinking again would just start the whole process over again.

D
Old 02-12-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post

Aerobic exercise is the primary help for both my body and my MIND.
Getting the blood flowing is so important.

Also for us older ones a baby aspirin a day is recommended to keep the blood thin so as to possibly prevent strokes.

I'm out in the desert right now and it's pretty hot. Heat causes blood to thicken and can be a killer.

MM
Old 02-12-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Starflyer, the eating well and exercise is good advice.

I went through acute sobriety while enrolled and felt that brain drain. 30 days was right about where it was terrible for me too. I even stopped listening to music, which is a big deal. Pleasure reading was not so good either.

At two months, things were better. At three months, I felt like someone had slipped me a smart-pill! The focus came back and continued to improve for a year. I was also rewarded by vastly increased patience and tenacity.-I'm not saying I'm a rocket-scientist (LOL), but I deal with schoolwork on a level WAY above that of my liquid-enhanced undergrad days.

I bet your experience is similar. Keep us updated.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Congrats on quitting drinking, Starflyer. My job entails reading closely and drafting legal documents often for hours on end and I did feel somewhat scatterbrained during the first few months. Unless you have the luxury of taking time off, I think you are just going to have to bite the bullet and concentrate as best you can to get through it. I found myself taking extra time and effort to make sure that I was not putting anyone at risk due to my issues. Fortunately, I don't think you should have the same malpractice worries in your line of work. Good luck in any event.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several months before I felt 'sharper'. I had been dulling my brain with alcohol for some time, and it took some time to get better. But don't drink! Stay sober and you will heal. It just takes more time. Be patient. It will get better.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

LOL! I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation drunk. Ugh. What a stupid thought. But true.

Anyhow, I learned a little about alcohol and cognitive function because I recently had a cutting-edge addiction recovery treatment that focused on restoring normal brain function, including cognitive ability. I learned that amino acids play a critical role in healing the brain from alcohol damage. I had the amino acids administered in a doctor's office intravenously but they can also be taken as oral supplements. If you're interested in adding this to your arsenal, drop into your local hippie vitamin/supplement store and consult with someone there. Tell them the truth -- you're newly sober and feeling foggy. They'll understand.

Good luck, and congrats on your sobriety!
Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Eating right, exercise, lots of water, and plenty of sleep will do it. But it takes a few months, at least it did for me. Eating right doesn't have to be too difficult. Just eat as few processed foods or meals out as possible. Replace them with whole grains, fruit, vegetables and lean meat.

For example:
Breakfast - cooked oats or multi-grain cereal, with fruit or OJ
Lunch - sandwich on whole wheat bread, with fruit. Or a grilled chicken salad.
Dinner - a cooked vegetable, brown rice, and some fish or tofu. Or stir fry.
For snacks I eat sliced apples and carrots, nuts, cheese on whole wheat crackers.

Cut out sodas and other sweets over time, they're just empty calories and contribute to all sorts of disease.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Something I found out, once the alcohol issue was dealt with permanently and unconditionally, was the importance of sleep. I had developed obstructive sleep apnea (if you snore, you are a candidate). I was getting almost zero REM sleep, and that truly and verily messes with both body and brain. I got that under control and I am so much healthier now. More active, better moods, more energy, and all that other healthy stuff like diet and activity became much possible for me to achieve.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fellow drunk academic here.

I get outside for excercise, eat well, get a good sleep.
Does the trick.
Check out paleo diet for a good idea of a good eating plan.
You don't have to follow it exactly- but I try ro stck close to it.

I also take vitamins
Fish oil
Complete B
Vitamin C
Garlic
Magnesuim
Vitamin D

Apple cider vinegar with hot water and lemon
A tablespoon of coconut oil

Xo