Notices

Alcohol will steal your soul....and your abs.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My insomnia goes away the longer I'm away from alcohol as well.
but seriously- fresh air will knock you out at night.
No excuses!! I live in the rocky mountains in Canada; if I can drag my sorry a$$ out in all kinds of weather- you can too
Old 02-12-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starflyer View Post
My main job as an English Major is reading, writing, and critically analyzing other ideas presented by scholars. Back when I was drinking, I was pretty decent at my job. Sure, I turned in a few scatterbrained papers, but I also turned in papers the instructor asked for my permission to use as an example for future classes. As long as a glass of something was by my side, I could sit and type and never slow down.

The sober version of me sucks at my job. I cannot seem to focus. Most of the reading is rather dense. I read an entire page and, for the life of me, cannot understand what I've just read. The feeling is in stark contrast to how my brain used to work while on the sauce. Doing homework with a glass in my hand felt like no big deal (getting drunk while accomplishing my academic duties; two birds with one stone), however, doing homework today takes me FAR too long and feels like pulling teeth.

I've started taking B vitamin supplements and Fish Oil (which I've heard are good for the functionality of the brain), but does anyone know of other things to do to speed up the cognitive process?
A few drinks helped move the process along for you. Made it a bit more enjoyable.

Now the drink has been taken away and you`re left sitting in front of the computer naked so to speak.

Imo, over time you will adjust to working without the alcohol. I used to think the only way I could my job was buzzed on booze or pot.

The truth is today my work performance is vastly superior to the years I was drinking.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've just been able to regain some focus, concentration, and writing and editing stamina back this week. I hit 30 days today. For context on physical recovery: I was an evening light beer drinker, with a good bit of variability from day to day (usually a couple 0-2 beer nights, a couple of 10-14 beer nights, and a couple of 4-6 beer nights each week). The fog sucks, I had it over the summer when I quit smoking too. It passes and then you're in much better cognitive shape (and don't have mornings that get frittered away with hangovers).
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Exercise good sleep and garlic.
Bob
I swear by fresh garlic.

It's a family forum, can't say much more.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

23 days.

The longest I've gone since....at least the past 10 years. To be completely transparent, I have actually imbibed alcohol within the past 23 days. I found myself at a house party and ended up doing a couple of shots. I could choose to get down and depressed over what happened, but here's the thing...
The idea of doing shots was not an act of my own volition.
The craving for alcohol, at that time, was pretty much zero.
The act of taking shots did not send me into drinking until I was black out drunk. Nor did it lead me into bailing on the party to go drink the night away by myself.
Instead, I enjoyed the rest of the party, and, after many many hours, drove myself home - not to the liquor store. For me, I consider this a win!

Somebody once told me to get involved in a lot of eye-coordination activities to help strengthen the connection your brain has with the body: playing drums (I am not a good drummer, but can keep a beat), air hockey, yo-yo, drawing or painting... Obviously, this was not medical advice, but it made sense to me at the time.

If anyone who knows a little bit about nutrition wants to message me to help me construct a food program or at least a guideline, I would be very appreciative.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big congrats on day 23 Starflyer
Old 02-13-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you drink again, you can expect the whole brain fog process to begin again according to this link

PAWS | Digital Dharma

The idea of doing shots was not an act of my own volition.
Sorry OT I know but how does that work? Unless you were held down shots were forcibly thrown down your throat and you were made to swallow, it was your volition.

The fact it might have been someone's else's idea doesn't make it okay for us to drink.

I'm not being a jerk here - it's vital to take responsibility for your own recovery.

If you can't distinguish AV thinking and can't be honest with yourself, you're making a really hard road to hoe, SF.

D
Old 02-14-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am still counting it as a win. I cannot afford to develop a negative viewpoint about myself and the bigger picture: "oh no! They didn't tie me down and force me to swallow! I suck! All is lost!"
Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Starflyer View Post
I am still counting it as a win. I cannot afford to develop a negative viewpoint about myself and the bigger picture: "oh no! They didn't tie me down and force me to swallow! I suck! All is lost!"
All is certainly not lost starflower. But you should also take very seriously the drinking you did. It always starts out harmlessly...a couple shots, a couple beers, a glass of wine.

You don't need to develop a negative viewpoint, but you do need to rethink your sober strategy so you are ready for the next time.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't asking you to adopt a negative viewpoint at all, just an honest one

If you ignore, rationalise away, or dismiss moments when you drink, how are you going to react differently and guide yourself towards a different outcome next time?

D
Old 02-14-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"And every time he put the bottle to his mouth, he didn't suck out of it, it sucked out of him."
Old 02-15-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congratulations on pursuing your English degree sober.

I got mine while drunk, and doing so is one of my real regrets in life (sorry I missed the chance to learn more at the time, and not just squeak by).

I suggest your considering where and with whom to spend your time if doing shots is one of the activities.

You may also want to do some due diligence into finding a following a program or plan of recovery from drinking.

I did, and I haven't had a drink since.

And I can read better, too.

Keep us posted, amigo.