Notices

Is it worth going to the doctor?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it worth going to the doctor?

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. This is my second time typing this out, the first try turned into a bit of an essay.

I drank a lot on my way home from work yesterday (I carry a water bottle filled with vodka around with me) and had to be helped home by a stranger as I could barely walk, I'd fallen over a few times and could barely stay on the path. I've decided (again) that enough is enough, but this time I'm thinking about giving visiting the doctor a go.

I drink 330ml of vodka on an average day, mostly straight out of the bottle but I have it in Diet Coke while I'm working. I have to drink at work because my hands shake badly if I don't, and I work in retail so I've had a lot of remarks and funny looks from customers over it. On a bad day I'll drink a lot more and the amount is gradually increasing. I throw up most mornings and get diarrhea, as soon as that's passed I'll be drinking again. I've had a lot of colleagues speak to my manager about how they can smell alcohol on my breath.

I'm in my early twenties and I've been drinking every day for almost a year now. I've tried to quit a few times, the longest I've made it is 6 days before I give in to cravings. I've even tried throwing out all my alcohol but I've just gone out and bought more. I'm stuck for things to do - and I can't keep going on as I am, I feel ill all the time and I spend all my money on alcohol, I'm barely even capable of working and I'm extremely fortunate to still be employed.

Does it sound like going to the doctor is the right option? I really want to quit for good this time, but the withdrawal symptoms make my job difficult and even if I can get past those the cravings are too much for me. I'm worried that I might not be taken seriously because I'm young...

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-03-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh my , u poor thing. .... definitely goto a doctor, they will listen and help...it helps just to have someone listen!
They will be able to give u an idea of what to do... and start u on recovery. ...
Keep posting on here too, there is more wisdom about sobriety on here than anywhere else. These are good kind people who don't judge. .. and it works to keep talking on here.... sending u a big hug x
Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Having been through this so many times since 1998, I almost had it three years ago and stayed sober, I realized where I went wrong in Nov of last year and this time I am seeing it through and will never drink again as I am not safe.

Seeing a doctor to me is very important, getting through Detox so I can achieve a clear head critical, in my case I need a safe environment and Detox centers to me is where I found it. This last bout I did detox at home, in and out of emerg five times but finally a med to help me detox at home as all the centers had a long waiting list and I was determined to not wait, I made it through it but in my case I would not have done it without professional help and the help from every resource I can get my hands on including these forums.

I am glad you are safe, let the fog lift and focus on a recovery plan to keep it that way, to me is the second step, the first being putting a cork in the bottle and never taking it off no matter what, I know where it leads and I will not go there, I love myself and life too much as well as others that I have hurt.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-03-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep - short term plan - get to the docs and see what they can find / offer you for support.

Long term plan, I'd suggest getting some support with getting sober (AA or Smart or whatever) - white knuckling it doesn't seem to be getting you very far.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

You definitely should see the doctor. Going thru detox can be dangerous. And the amount you're drinking is a lot. That can make detox that more dangerous.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it's worth going to the doctor. See your doctor for help in getting safely thru detox. Then come up with a plan to stay sober.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome OldTomato I co sign every post so far seeing a Dr is a excellent idea
Old 01-03-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome OldTomato, lots of good advice already here, I'd also agree that seeking medical help is very important for you right now.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

i'm not an expert and someone might not agree with me but it seems like those with the daily vodka habits have a rough go with withdrawels and such and medical care almost seems like an even better option for those. Not to discount any other type of drinking habit it just seems like there is something about the vodka and spirits to me that takes quite a toll on someone.

I dont think your over reacting I wish i acted like you at your age I waited another 10+ years to get my act together. I know they say you should regret things in sobriety but its hard not to think what if i had quit sooner?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was in your shoes for a long time in my early twenties - drinking all the time, taking short periods of time off, but never seeking medical help because, 1, I didn't want to admit that I was really an alcoholic, and 2, I thought I was too young to have a real problem with alcohol. I truly wish I had sought some real medical help back then, before things got much, much worse a few years down the road. You are definitely NOT too young, and if a doctor doesn't take you seriously (a few ER doctors didn't take me seriously when I first began going to the hospital for withdrawal), then find a new doctor who knows more about alcoholism.

I second what everyone else has said - definitely get some medical help to get you through detox, and then look into a program like rehab (in or outpatient), AA, and/or another support group. It's great that you are ready to quit now, at a young age, and while you are still employed. You can do this!!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum OldTomato!!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stop now and go to the emergency room for help!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I'm so glad I decided to finally post on here. I'm going to book that appointment tomorrow during my lunch break, your replies gave the courage to finally go through with this.

My manager is one of my closest friends and also 2 years sober. She's kept me employed and supported me throughout this, without her I probably still wouldn't have admitted that I have a problem. She's had to put up with so much from me. I owe her big time, I'm extremely lucky to have met her.

I know I'll regret it in the future if I don't get myself back on track now.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very good idea for tomorrow, in the meantime this is one of many things I found and found useful to help me.

Alcohol Abuse Treatment and Self-Help: How to Stop Drinking and Start Recovery

Take what works or you feel will work for you, glad you are seeing your doc.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job OldTomato,
You can begin your new life tomorrow by going to the doctor and putting a plan in place. Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-03-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a very bad at home detox.

It's definitely worth seeing a Dr, OldTomato - it's not just a rote response here

D
Old 01-03-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OldTomato, you sound a lot like me. I want to give you a big hug and tell you yes -- please go see a doctor. You're worth it.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes I would go to the doctor & come up with a plan to detox safely.

You have your whole life in front of you if you get sober!

I would hate to see you go through what a friend of mine went through. When she was 21 she got alcoholic hepatitis C, at 22 she got pancreatitis and at 25 liver failure. She is now on a liver transplant list but the odds of her surviving long enough to get it are low.

It's so sad to watch. Aside from her alcoholism, she is a sweet, beautiful girl who is dying a form of slow suicide by drinking herself to death.

Go to the doctor. Get help ASAP before it's too late. (((Hug)))

Praying for you!
Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

By far the scariest yet most important step in my recovery was getting a full physical by a doctor. By the time I went, it was beyond putting "two drinks a day" on the form and lying my way through it. My alcoholism was apparent from my blood work and extremely high blood pressure. Funny enough, she didn't say a word about my red face.

My doctor visit took the whole "Am I? Am I not? Am I hurting myself?" BS from abstract to real, black and white, slap-in-the-face concrete realism.

I am older than you but I was only 31 when I was diagnosed with an inflamed liver and hypertension. For whatever reason I took a multivitamin and vitamin B supplement every morning so I think that helped me a bit.

Anyways, should you go to the doctor? Yes.

Sitting there is scary but you'll be glad you did. It brings the issues and worries to reality.

I used to laugh at that two drink a day limit set by health professionals. You know what though? They're onto something there. If you are drinking more than that then you are hurting your body.

I thought I was too young to have a very serious health diagnosis but I wasn't. I figured I'd be one of those people who'd stop in their forties or fifties but nope, I burned my candle too strong and too quick. I had consumed my lifetime's supply of booze by the age of 31.

This story has a happy ending. I've been sober for 18 months and I was just given a clean bill of health. I am never drinking alcohol again.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I didn't have enough privacy during my break today to make an appointment, so it's going to have to wait until tomorrow morning. Already I'm starting to think "I can just quit on my own, I don't need to see a doctor", but I need to stay aware that it's the addiction talking because I know full well from experience that I can't stop on my own!!!

I drank a lot of vodka straight out of the bottle on my way to work and luckily made it to the toilet before puking it back up again. No one seemed to notice I was drunk. On a positive note, I didn't buy any alcohol on the way home and stayed sober for the rest of the day!