Notices

Is there such a thing as a former alcoholic??

Old 01-09-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there such a thing as a former alcoholic??

Hi guys.

As some of you may have noticed as a newbie I sometimes have difficulty getting my head around some of the définitions you use on this forum.

There is talk about alcoholics and recovering alcoholics. But is there ever a point when we become "former alcoholics"? Or are we "recovering" for life?

Because we talk about "former drug addicts".

None of this really matters because all I care about is staying sober at the end of the day and I don't care what label I have on my forehead!But I guess my question is that I am curious for those of you who have been sober 5 10 15 20 years or more. Do you think of yourselves as 100 percent recovered? And if yes at what point did you feel sure that you were honestly recovered.

Wishing you all a great weekend.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd say it's active vs non active, but you're still always an alcoholic. Calling yourself a former alcoholic to me is over confidence. Some will disagree with me though.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am an Alcoholic for life!! You can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber...can you?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of stigma attached to addiction.

Some people feel more comfortable with former alcoholic and I totally respect that view. I think we all should.

'Former Alcoholic' doesn't really fit with my belief system tho -neither does 'former drug addict' for what it's worth - so I'm happy to be 'recovering' - that to me connotes I'm still trying to be the best Dee I can be

D
Old 01-09-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I had to put a label on it, I'd call myself a recovered alcoholic.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe recovery is a life long journey. I would consider a former alcoholic a dead person.... It's something I will never master and become a former achlolic I will never graduate till I pass.. I can live with that..
Old 01-09-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was pointed out to me that the word "recovered" is in the big book of alcoholics anonymous about 10 or so times, starting with the prefix.

"Recovered" (or "former") is possible. "Cured" is not possible.

We get recovered by doing the steps from the big book, and we stay recovered by living in steps 10, 11, and 12. But the allergy will always exist.

I know a lot of people in AA do not like hearing the word recovered (former) but this is what I was taught, and I've seen it in the old-timers in my home group.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Recovered, me, Fabat. But you probably suspected that!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I consider myself a former alcoholic and fully recovered. Doesn't mean I'm perfect, or that I can drink, but no one else is perfect either, and the majority of the human race does not drink alcohol either, so I'm in good company.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't like using those labels because they are simply too limiting.

But, I am a recovering alcoholic because I work on my recovery every day. To me it's no longer about not drinking, but about being the very best person I can be each day.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the diverse perspectives guys. Interesting.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My goal someday is to be recovered and I am determined to see this through, I do know that I can not and will not ever drink again, if I did my next step is death as that is what it has progressed to.

I understand how many look at alcoholism and someone who calls themselves an alcoholic because I used to think the same way and had a friend who was an alcoholic in recovery and I am ashamed at how I thought at the time, I have said it before I really wish the world knew what we know about this sickness, that way they would understand but I have no goals of changing the world so people can label me as they see fit, think what they want, I am very secure in who I am and who I can be.

I believe in a program that I have been reading we do recover and become recovered however we can never drink again. When we recover and even in recovery when we have a clear head and are determined to get sobriety at all costs, we are not powerless over our AV, quite the opposite, if I stay focused on my plan I have the power to shut it down, if I waver I am in trouble, been there done that and it will not happen again.

Overconfident, not really, just very focused at the task at hand and following my plan to the letter.

Andrew
Old 01-09-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oncd i became a pickle i couldnt go back to being a cucumber.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think its like being a diabetic -- you don't get over it, but you can control it through not drinking.

And not drinking for those who used to drink compulsively, is more than just not drinking of course.

For me the whole thing is about accepting that I cannot and will not drink ever again and I will not change me mind. And then being at peace with that through all the other things we do to make ourselves better.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

I am an Alcoholic in Recovery,I will never be Recovered.I don't agree with what is written in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous,I have met very few Alcoholics in the rooms of AA who call themselves Recovered.

It is a head thing for me,if I call myself Recovered,I would in time think I could drink again.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post
...It was pointed out to me that the word "recovered" is in the big book of alcoholics anonymous about 10 or so times, starting with the prefix...
I believe it's mentioned 13 times in the first 164 pages of the BB (what I like to call the basic text portion), but who's counting . Many folks like to say is that the BB says that we have recovered from 'a hopeless condition of mind and body.'

It also says:
"...We, who have recovered from serious drinking..." and
"...men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body..."

...and more importantly, the title page of the BB says: "How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism"

(o:

and P.S. I'm recovered. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am going to call myself as an alcoholic in remission! Seems to fit the bill for the time being.

By the way. The pickle and cucumber thinkg We have an expression here that says 'he is pickled" for someone who is drunk! Don't know if you have that expression across the pond...?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If asked I am a recovered alcoholic but I am still in recovery from my messed up childhood. For me it really depends on who I am talking to. I mostly consider myself a former drinker or nondrinker. Alcoholism was very much just a symptom. Addressing my severe depression and how I got there were key to recovery. Go with what you are comfortable with.
I think you can recover from the mental addiction to alcohol but the physical addiction will always be there.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
By the way. The pickle and cucumber thinkg We have an expression here that says 'he is pickled" for someone who is drunk! Don't know if you have that expression across the pond...?
Yes we do. Which is why the pickle/cucumber analogy is doubly apt!

It's mostly individual choice how to use the labels. For myself, I don't think I could ever identify as a "former alcoholic," as that would involve changing the pickle back into a cucumber. I know that one drink has the potential to put me right back on the crazy train.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm a former drinker. And I have accepted that I will never be able to control my drinking ever again. Whatever you would call that is fine by me, but the name is not nearly as important as the concept.