Notices

Is there such a thing as a former alcoholic??

Old 01-09-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by 48heath View Post
I am an Alcoholic in Recovery,I will never be Recovered.I don't agree with what is written in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous,I have met very few Alcoholics in the rooms of AA who call themselves Recovered.

It is a head thing for me,if I call myself Recovered,I would in time think I could drink again.
I second this opinion. I can never see myself as being 100% immune to the allure of alcohol even though my goal is to die sober.

I never could have anticipated my daughters death and it seriously rattled my sobriety cage. A lifetime is a long time so I just commit to doing what I have to do today to stay sober and God will I will do it again tomorrow
Old 01-09-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I dunno. I'm mainly glad I'm not an 'active alcoholic'. I suppose I'm an alcoholic who is 3.5 years into recovery.

Once you get some sober time under your belt, you'll think less about labels. My current neighbors and local friends have no idea that I have a problem with alcohol. Aside from my girlfriend, nobody would guess that I have struggled in the past. If anything, they view me as a health-conscious guy! I pushed the re-set button and built new foundations. I don't think of labels at all, and neither will you once you get your ducks in a row.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Interesting to see the different perspectives. Admittingly, I sometimes over simplify to some people's taste. Having said that, putting myself in a box with a label just isn't me. I simply refer to myself as someone who no longer drinks. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to describe yourself. Say what you are most comfortable with. At the end of the day, its all about being happy and sober! 😀
Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
now's the time

When I was about 8, I wrote a letter to the Scholastic News (anyone remember that?) because of an article about asthma. It referred several times to "asthmatics". I was outraged and scolded them for defining a person by an illness. "People with asthma!" I demanded we be called (I had childhood asthma).

Soooo, not much has changed. I use that word very sparingly when I'm not actively in my addiction. I don't think it's a very good word from a communications standpoint; it's at once too vague (in terms of the wide variety of people and personalities it encompasses) and also too specific (in terms of the imagery it conjures up).

More than anything else I think in my own thoughts I say "I'm sober" way more often than "I'm an alcoholic" of any kind. But when I get to a place where I feel like I've put my life back together, I think I'd be OK with saying recovered. For now, just sober and making progress.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like to think of myself as "in remission".

I believe recovery can be successful. I believe some folks can do it without relapses.

I am also aware of the cucumber -pickle theory. I suppose I COULD try to drink moderately. But, in light of what I have gained and what I stand to lose theres just no way I'm going to say " well, I'm recovered now so I'm gonna have a couple!".

It's all semantics, but the language has power. If someone refers to me as an alcoholic, they really should be in the recovery camp also. Otherwise, its not something to lightly toss around.

I wouldn't want to have to dig another hole in the desert...

-jokes.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I should probably add that the onLy time I'd really use any of these terms is here.
In 'real life' I'm just Dee the non drinker

D
Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
G-Woman

To others, I just 'don't drink'. Internally, I don't think too much about labels at this point. With more sobriety time under my belt, maybe I'll eventually gain a more defined perspective/philosophy.

I believe we should use whatever term helps us stay sober, and that can be different for everyone.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with all that has been said, the only import to the label is what it says to you internally.

If one stops for good the first time, they may not know what going back will bring; so they don't know necessarily if they are able to drink safely.

For most of us though, we know; so whatever we call ourselves we are people for whom alcohol is not an option -- in much the same way that most sugar is not an option for a diabetic.

Once we get our minds around that (hence the internal label) and take alcohol off the table, then we can deal with the rest.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Very interesting your views thank you. I completely agree, 100 percent, that it doesn't matter what we are. All that matters is that we are sober and happy and honest with ourselves.

But I am interested in the question about how people feel about themselves, from a spiritual, philosophical and medical viewpoint.

Happy Sunday
Old 01-10-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have never like the term "recovered".

If the truth be known, though, I guess I have recovered thus far.

But I still regard alcohol as being larger than I am today, even though it's been a few 24 hours, so to speak, since I have had a drink.

I use the term "recovering alcoholic" or, if I am talking with someone "in the progarm", I may refer to myself as a drunk.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't mind labeling myself -when I'm alone, to myself - as an alcoholic. It serves to remind me what would happen if I ever started drinking again. I do believe that I may be only one drink removed from mayhem.

It doesn't make me feel bad about myself or anything. It just... is. As has been mentioned above: whatever helps you most to stay sober.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post
I don't mind labeling myself -when I'm alone, to myself - as an alcoholic. It serves to remind me what would happen if I ever started drinking again. I do believe that I may be only one drink removed from mayhem.

It doesn't make me feel bad about myself or anything. It just... is. As has been mentioned above: whatever helps you most to stay sober.
My favourite film EVER. In my recent rehab stint I swear my designated nurse was Nurse Ratched's doppelganger. She frightened the heck out of me!
Old 01-10-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Fabat

Bob O here, not an alcoholic, recovery, sober by choice and having fun doing it. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Take Care

Bob O.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I used to drink too much for my own good, now I don't drink at all. That is good enough for me.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I am taught in the program I follow that I have indeed recovered = arrested condition. I am never cured of alcoholism. This is proven daily by others as we read of relapse. I too am susceptible by ignoring those things that keep me sober.
I cannot under any circumstance drink alcohol.

That works our just fine because the obsession /desire is gone.

There are many opinions about this, certainly but this works for me.

Thanks for the thread friend
Old 01-10-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Fab,

For me, admitting to myself that I am an alcoholic has been the hardest thing emotionally.

Logically, I know this, but really accepting it, is very difficult.

I am not sure why, but it is so.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The early AAs sometimes referred to themselves as ex problem drinkers, like ex smokers, it kinda makes sense.

I recovered from alcoholism after about 90 days and 9 steps into the AA program. I wasn't cured however. Alcoholism was like a ball and chain that crippled my life, robbed me of all the opportunities that a young person should have, and was draining my life force. It would eventually kill me.

Being recovered has meant that chain has been removed. My life is no longer controlled or even influenced by alcohol. I have been free to develop and grow both spiritually and emotionally without the crippling influence of alcoholism.

Some view this part of the journey as recovery, hence they believe they are always recovering, but for me it has meant I am free to embark on life's journey just like any other sane human being, although I did get off to a slow start. Life and its ups and downs is not alcoholism, its just a part of being in the human race.

One can stop drinking, for a long period even, and still live in fear of alcohol, and still have alcohol and the fear of drinking controlling one's life, restricting opportunities and places one can go. This to me is not recovered because one is not free of alcohol and its influence.

And when I say not cured, I mean there is no return to "normal" drinking for me. Like the ex smoker who lights up again, addiction will take charge again, and I will be crippled and dying again.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
The early AAs sometimes referred to themselves as ex problem drinkers, like ex smokers, it kinda makes sense.

I recovered from alcoholism after about 90 days and 9 steps into the AA program. I wasn't cured however. Alcoholism was like a ball and chain that crippled my life, robbed me of all the opportunities that a young person should have, and was draining my life force. It would eventually kill me.

Being recovered has meant that chain has been removed. My life is no longer controlled or even influenced by alcohol. I have been free to develop and grow both spiritually and emotionally without the crippling influence of alcoholism.

Some view this part of the journey as recovery, hence they believe they are always recovering, but for me it has meant I am free to embark on life's journey just like any other sane human being, although I did get off to a slow start. Life and its ups and downs is not alcoholism, its just a part of being in the human race.

One can stop drinking, for a long period even, and still live in fear of alcohol, and still have alcohol and the fear of drinking controlling one's life, restricting opportunities and places one can go. This to me is not recovered because one is not free of alcohol and its influence.

And when I say not cured, I mean there is no return to "normal" drinking for me. Like the ex smoker who lights up again, addiction will take charge again, and I will be crippled and dying again.
Love this post Gottalife thank you. I can relate to it. I am only 2 months + sober but I am very very afraid of alcohol for the moment.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I think a little fear of alcohol is healthy not as in fear to be anywhere around it, or fear of the substance itself. I like to keep a healthy respect for what letting alcohol beck into my life will do. A healthy respect mixed with a little bit of healthy fear of thinking that drinking again is an option. Just enough to keep me out of complacency land.

Outside of sr and aa, I'm just wehav. If wehav is offered a drink, I say no thank you. In recovery circles, I'm wehav the alkie. I'd like to think of myself as "recovered," others might say "recovering." Like so many say, what's important is how you define it for yourself in a way that helps you stay sober.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I had lots of practice drinking, enough to make me perfect so now I'm a "perfect alcoholic"!