Notices

Freaking out right now, Hypochondria

Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freaking out right now, Hypochondria

So ive had some new developments in my digestive issues. I have alot of bad symptoms it seems, like really bad.

Unfortunately during my boring meetings today i looked up the causes and found a website with several stories about people my age with colon cancer. I have the exact same symptoms of just about every single one of them.

It is now that I am beginning to freak out like really badly. I feel so scared, annoyed, helpless.

I feel like I want to run off to the ER like right now. I used to ignore all these things the symptoms but now with my clear headedness or whatever, I cant ignore anything, I am freaking out here,
Old 10-14-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't get your diagnoses from doctor google!! You'll think you have every disease in the book. You want to know, go to a doctor for tests. Don't diagnose your self.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

hit up your doctor and get a colonoscopy ?

I can't win with a fear like that. I had a bad case of the runs while drinking and paniced routinely about colon cancer. I went to the doc he gave me some meds but said if they didnt work they could run more tests. I was not about to find out what those where. I"m chicken I'll die of uknown casues one day out of fear of getting the tests done.

cant hurt to go to the doc tho. no reason to panic tho. of course thats easier said then done.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by least View Post
Don't get your diagnoses from doctor google!! You'll think you have every disease in the book. You want to know, go to a doctor for tests. Don't diagnose your self.
yeah thats true too. I got a lot of illnesses according to doctor google.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Holds,

Fear is a terrible thing.

Please don't let it get to you.

Symptoms are deceiving, please take it slow and see your doctor.

You have come so far 90 day buddy don't let your fear ruin your accomplishments, which are huge.

Breath deeply. You can only change the way you feel if you change you breathing.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

holds, ya did something many do andmtne results are the same.
pretty crazy that with all the causes found on the www people go to worse case scenario.

the best, most accurate way to have symptoms diagnosed is to show you love yourself by getting to a doctor and letting them do it.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Holds.
I know what it's like you want answers now but at the same time you're afraid to go.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Holds

Please stop looking your symptoms up on Google. Pseudo medical sites are geared to get hits - they have an implausibly long range of symptoms for every disease.

If you're concerned schedule a colonoscopy. It's not a bad idea for any of us to have one of those regularly

D
Old 10-14-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can't add much to what has already been said apart from stressing about it will cause IBS and pls don't Dr Google just go book a Dr apt
Old 10-14-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

these symptoms carried on for years with my drinking and Ive had them explained as one or the other thing. However it seems like its gotten worse. I completely stopped going on google for awhile there but this one symptom in particular has me really going, its so annoying, id say but im too embarassed about it.

At my age i feel like my doctor is just going to roll his eyes again but it feels serious to me. I think I need a colonoscopy soon. I called the doctors office and asked if i needed to come in as this seems urgent to me. I never got a call back yet, so not sure. Still other than that Ive calmed down some but that fear of illness is lodged deep in my brain.

I really do want answers soon and I feel scared of the results. ive gone through every test except for the scopes, and I feel those are inevitable.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best wishes Holds
Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great advice on avoiding Dr. Google.

Having been exactly where you are I would again recommend you seek help for your anxiety itself. Health anxiety is a very distinct and very treatable condition that can actually cause physical symptoms if it is too bad. Certainly you should not ignore your physical health, but don't dismiss the distinct possibility that much of it could be "in your head". It was definitley there for me.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

is the doctor you are seeing a gastroenterologist?
Old 10-14-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

no just a GP, but he was considering referring me to a gastro if my symptoms did not clear up.

I just feel so nervous about all of this. When I drank I simply ignored all of this and just thought hmm, probably because ive been drinking, which could be totally true, but now its like, arghhhh how could i have been so stupid i shouldve taken care of it as soon as it showed up, but nooo, like an idiot i just let it go on.

I used to just not go to the doctor because I knew they were probably going to find something related to my drinking.

In may 2014 I had a full MRI of my digestive system and they found nothing except my inflamed appendix, they said nothing else was wrong. I sort of held onto that as well, but this colonoscopy, has really got me thinking now, perhaps i need it
Old 10-14-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

If nothing else it may bring you peace of mind, Holds?

D
Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Barely slept last night, having issues at home. I feel so overly nervous. I wish that i wouldve never looked any of that up. I got scared though and just though id get some peace of mind, wrong idea.

I woke up really early, still dark outside, prayed a bit to God, fell asleep for a little while again, woke up sometime later, still dark outside, instantly when I woke up I felt calm and that Im going to be okay, however that didnt last long, the overwhelming fear hit me again,
Old 10-15-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know the feeling holds, when my anxiety ramps up sleep is scarce and everything seems scary.

Have you ever read the book 10% Happier by Dan Harris? It's a very down-to-earth account of how the author recognized his anxiety and how we went about getting help for it. It also has references to some other great books/authors on the subject of Anxiety and Mindfulness/Meditation.

The "firehose of thoughts" is one of the concepts he talks about constanlty...how our brains are going a million miles an hour, and when we start listening to these thoughts we get stuck. When those thoughts start focusing on our health we of course get stuck worrying about that too.

Have you seen a therapist about your anxiety by chance?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Holds have you tried breathing exercises or guided meditation

It helps me a little bit every day
Old 10-15-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do yourself a favor and see your doctor and afterward a gastro person if deemed prudent. Having already had a colonoscopy I can write via experience that the most bothersome aspect is the prep; the procedure isn't long, in most cases there are no lingering physical issues, and the results are immediate.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please, please listen to Scott, (((Holds))). The MRI was all clear, right? Remember that, but more importantly recognise you have an anxiety problem that stems entirely from thoughts that you are believing in. Health anxiety is far, far more common than you might expect, and I don't mean a little bit anxious, I mean really, really terrified people who have *nothing* wrong with them. Anxiety can present itself with all manner of physical symptoms - particularly the digestive system. I remember when I had a huge exam coming up once I had to keep going to the toilet, I dunno, about a dozen times a day?! I wan't worried about it I just thought "gee, I'm going to the loo a lot." Then I clicked - pure anxiety. It really is that influential physically.

Dan Harris is cool - I bet that is a good book. There a lots of others too. I think mindfulness could be extremely helpful to you. And I agree with Scott, you really could do with some help from a therapist. CBT therapists are particularly good with anxiety. This is a common and treatable problem. You are not alone. I so wish for you not to be afraid anymore.