Notices

Alcohol withdrawal - Please help!!

Old 10-15-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal - Please help!!

Hi, I'm having terrible symptons, I'm sweating profusely, all my muscles are stiff, my hands are closing on their own and it hurts to type or force them open, and it feels like electrical shocks are running through my legs, feet and forearms. My hands are also very swollen, I'm having difficulty breathing and I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ... I took 1mg of clonazepam an hour ago but it didn't relief much. I'm scared ******** and about to panic... Please help!!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can or would you go to the ER or to your doctor ASAP ?
Sometimes ones in your condition die.

Then after you get under some medical care and advice
you will always be welcome and more at ease here on site.

MM
Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't drive, have no one at the moment to take me to the doctor, and I live in a poor area in Brazil, I can't afford medical bills at this point. Should I take more clonazepam? It prevines DT, right?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I prefer cold turkey off the booze
but -- please take note
some need to be weaned off the drink
since you seem to have no medical ones handy
possibly a weaning process would be best for you ?

In the early AA program at times they gave the new ones to sobriety a drink so as to get them through the rough times.

Would this be best for you ??
Only a ((doctor)) can tell you for sure.

You could send an email to the closest hospital
best -- call a hospital ASAP.

MM
Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You need medical attention...please call someone who can help immediately.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Spacelion..we are not allowed to give medical advice on the forum...

I hope you are not alone, have you got someone that can stay with you if you can not get to an ER or Doc. This is very important...Alcohol withdrawals can be very dangerous.

I know nothing about clonazepam, I do not know the correct doses for alcohol withdrawal...did they tell you when you got your script?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with MountainmanBob. I think if it's that bad and you can't get medical help, have a small amount of alcohol. Small. Like one shot.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you call someone to take you to the ER? Thats what i would do, dont suffer needlessly, they can also give you librium to help with the electric shocks and muscle contractions, also the sweating.

Hate to say it, but its better to be safe then sorry.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. I took more 0.5mg of the benzo, the shocks seems to have subsided a little and I was able to control my panic attack somewhat. I was prescribed clonazepam for that, panic disorder and general anxiety. But I took a higher dose now for this horrifying WD... The thing that is bothering me the much is the muscle stiffness and, mostly being unable to open my hands, as they keep closing into this claw like position. I tried eating a banana for the potassium, but couldn't keep it down. And I have no one to call, really. I'm completely by myself right now... Seriously, when this hell stops, that'll be the beginning of my sober life... I'm intending to take more 0.5mg in an hour or so...

Also, I'm stuttering a lot to talk, I do have an aunt who concerns about me, but I can't bring myself to call her in these conditions.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't take anymore unless a Dr prescribed you to do so

Here are some links in Sao Paulo

AA: Alcoholics Anonymous Sao Paulo - English Speaking Group

AA: Alcoholics Anonymous Sao Paulo » Meetings

Support Groups and Helplines in São Paulo - AngloINFO São Paulo, in São Paulo (Brazil)
Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

She would be crushed if something happened to you - call her! That's what family is for. I'm glad you're feeling a little better, though. Please let us know how you're doing.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try to get fluids in your body. Hopefully if the medication calms you enough, you can get some nutrition in your stomach and it will stay there. This is a recovery website, but I also agree with biminiblue. ONE shot. You are very sick and alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. Right now I would treat this as being in the most important game or job interview of your life. Do what you have to do to stay alive. And you will. Keep us posted. I know this post probably comes across as me being very "direct", but I am very bad at putting things gently when its so serious.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it is very important to remember when our hands are clenching uncontrollably our organs inside our bodies may be doing the same thing

please contact the ones that sober wolf gave you the information about
Old 10-15-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Call your aunt. Self medicating above and beyond you normal prescribed doses, especially during withdrawals is extremely dangerous. You need medical attention and you need it now.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please call your aunt to take you to the hospital. This is serious
Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I want to update you on my situation:

The benzo's finally calmed me, and I was able to make myself a fresh orange juice for at least some nutrition and vitamins. Just a few minutes ago I could eat some pickled eggplant with a single toast (which I love). I'm able to keep stuff down now, and I'm certain the worst has passed. The clenching/stiffness and sweating is still bothering me, but it's noticeably better.

I'm calm enough now to try and distract myself. I'm keeping lemon water by my bed, and am sipping from it every now and then.

I also tried what some of you suggested and drank 1 beer, very slowly. I think that helped a LOT. I'm just EXHAUSTED right now after all these hours suffering and panicking.

Thank you very much, it really helped being able to share what was going on. Thankfully, I didn't need to call my aunt and worry the hell out of her, but I kept the phone close, just in case.

I'm still a little confused, dizzy and mildly nauseated, to be honest, but I'm sure it will go away soon.

Thanks, again.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi spacelion

I think there are more important things than bills or a little embarrassment in asking for help and good health is one of them.

Please do get yourself checked out.

Maintenance drinking is not a viable long term strategy.

D
Old 10-15-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, that can't be a regular thing, drinking to stop the withdrawal. I'm glad it worked, but it could have been the benzos, too. Drinking and taking benzos together is really dangerous, do some research - it could be deadly.

I only took alcohol for withdrawals when I was quitting one time - and didn't do it again because the symptoms were manageable from then on. Please get some medical guidance.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We never wish to forget
how hard it was to sober up.

Good luck to you
please -- keep coming back

Mountainmanbob
Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi SpaceLion. We're all concerned for you. Please be careful. I hope you'll continue to feel better, but as the others said - getting checked out by a doctor is the only safe way. Good to have you join us. This never has to happen again.