Notices

Freaking out right now, Hypochondria

Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I realize it could all be anxiety issues coupled with overloading my body with weight, bad junk food and alcohol poison the past 7 years.

However my mind instantly goes to health anxiety, its like for me, Im trying to find why I feel like this, why my body seems out of whack, and I guess im having trouble blaming it on anxiety, when some nights I cant sleep, can hardly eat without feeling nauseated and all the digestive problems flaring up.

The mri was to check on why i was in so much pain, they checked everything thoroughly save scoping me and made the decision that it was my appendix and removed it, pain went away, sickness went away etc. Kept on drinking after that though.

I encourage everyone to not google something health related even if its something small and you think it might be harmless, it can turn to the worst doom case scenario. I looked it up and came across a stupid website about young people with cancer and that freaked my mind out.

I will get calm but at times it gets bad.

I talked to my doctor about this and he just wants to wait on my antibiotic treatment which ends on tuesday, still its like my brain wants to know NOW!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I also read that health anxiety is associated with OCD and i have all the classic symptoms of OCD like constantly checking on things with my body.

I had a sore throat this past weekend and it scared me however, these other symptoms got me going I didnt realize that my sore throat went away. Of course my mind wants to attribute that to anything super bad
Old 10-15-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
I also read that health anxiety is associated with OCD and i have all the classic symptoms of OCD like constantly checking on things with my body.
Yes, OCD can be closely related to Anxiety. Why not see someone that can help you find out?

One thing I can tell you for sure is that you can't google away anxiety either. At least I couldn't, i needed to see a professional that could asses my mental state first.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I was in therapy I was diagnosed with OCD, Anxiety and Major depression.

I was suspecting that I had OCD perhaps because of watching things on TV about it and I thought hmm, Ive always been like that I just brushed it off as nonsense.

I think my drinking exacerbated my OCD and threw it onto me so quickly. I constantly check on everything health-related and I wondered why I'm like that, well low and behold hypochondria is deeply related to OCD.

I'm trying hard to not let it control me but I'm trying to control it. My body used to feel so numb to all my ailments with alcohol, now I'm feeling everything and I'm overly hypersensitive to anything that goes on.

I feel safe in saying that a normal minded person in my case wouldn't care about some of the stuff i freak out over.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

From my perspective, in a sense, you *are* a normal minded person. They call it 'abnormal psychology' - what a joke! Most people suffer from depression at some point in their lives, so how that's 'abnormal' I'm not sure. Same with anxiety. I prefer to look at it as either 'helpful' or 'unhelpful'. I know I sound like a broken record on this one, but these problems are so common, I think at least in that sense they can be deemed normal. I'm just trying to say in a round-a-bout way, don't beat yourself up about this, Holds, just in case you are :-)

I really like the way this guy (Jeff Foster) explains how we can develop a different relationship to our thoughts....it's the concept of 'mindfulness', basically. In the clip he isn't talking about thoughts related to health anxiety, but it's the same principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnI3TJpoTU
Old 10-15-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

P.S. If you do watch the clip, Holds, I just want to add that what almost always tends to happen is that once we see thoughts for what they are, and are no longer so frightened by them, they often naturally lessen in their frequency and volume if not go away completely. This has been my experience, anyway.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I shall have to watch this!

I honestly have not felt "normal" in months though mentally. I mean sure im not overly brain damaged, although i feel like it sometimes, but this anxiety is getting out of hand, it always picks things to start freaking out about and then when that subsides it picks new ones to flare up over!

My memory seems to be bad still, like i swear ill have a thought at work about something and then get distracted and for the life of me I cant remember the thought and it was a good work-related idea!

I get mad at my brain, okay can you just choose to forget the bad thoughts and only remember things like this?!?!?! Why do you only pick the bad to remember over and over!!?

Yeah i know, fight or flight. We had this thing at work where we kind of go through career coaching or whatever, once a year, usually make a day out of it, trust falls lol stupid stuff like that.

This year we had a psychologist come in though and he was good actually, talked about the whole fight or flight response, how are brains are wired to sense danger and to react to it, sometimes though it gets wired wrong and we sense danger when there is none, and this is anxiety. We have to rewire our brains for this and start by using CBT techniques, he recommended taking at least 10 minutes a day to be grateful about things in ur life, and Im trying to do that now, it sort of works, the mind is so tricky and its hard to get it to go how you want it to sometimes, this is how i feel not "normal" my mind sometimes feels uncontrollable riddled with fear when in reality nothing is going bad.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

"I really do want answers soon and I feel scared of the results. ive gone through every test except for the scopes, and I feel those are inevitable. "

Holds I can tell you first hand that if I had refused those Colonoscopy/Endoscopy "scopes" last month, I would have died within a week!

They are life savers , and the procedures ( although intimidating , ) are easy to deal with.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Holds.
I have anxiety disorder and I think some ocd. But the tough thing is, how do you know what is normal worrying and what is not? I don't know that someone else can decide. But it is frustrating. These are not pleasant things to live with. It can feel like your life is about to end and everyone's just telling you to calm down, sometimes.
I get it
Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yeah, your life feels doomed, whether by health related issues, something terrible out of your control, or by your own hand eventually,

its not fun going through anxiety on a daily basis, its not living.

The not normal feeling is tough to comprehend, because i feel tired, anxious, weak, headaches, nauseated etc. then half hour, maybe couple hours later, i feel normal, then it starts again sometime after. Its difficult to tell whether youre just anxious or you really do have something going on
Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Holds,

If you can afford it, why not go wild and crazy and get a colonoscopy and see someone about your anxiety.

You are so worth it. Good use of all that extra booze money...
Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It may come down to that in the future, and I know with my age and the wait time on it, could take weeks to get one scheduled in.

I'm beginning by changing my diet for now and starting with lots of vegetables and foods rich in nutrients like brown rice etc. I'm also cutting out red meat indefinitely. I'm on day 4 doing this and so far its actually paying off a bit to be honest. I already feel like I'm in a better mood and not quite as nauseated.

I know its difficult for some to change their diet, especially in early sobriety, I'm on around month 3 and just now I'm beginning to see through the fog to be able to make this change. Ask me to do this a month ago maybe and that would have been too much to handle.

Hey at least its getting easier right?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great to hear that you are feeling a little better.

Are you going to build a Sleppie sober lego house with your 93 blocks??

Could be fun.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A sober sleepie lego house, :P

92 days here, hmm 93 tomorrow. Never thought about a lego house, if anything my little ones will probably cry to play with it and knock it down

Yeah feeling a bit better today and the days halfway over at work, TGIF right?
Old 10-16-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I think you, Sleepie, Fantail and I quit the same week - maybe even the same day.

I was making a peace bank for each day sober and Sleepie said she was building a lego house with one block for each day sober, se I decided to make a house too.

Actually I am going to delegate to my little one building the house, but I will be in charge of additions and keeping to upright.

Take care.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I quit on July 16th, how about you?

I am terrible with things like that, the creativity just blows right past me lol

Something like that sounds cool though, you can tangibly see your progress.

I think I'm going to celebrate next weekend on this sobriety, I get paid and so does my wife, so what I would usually spend on alcohol and the related nonsense that came along with it, I'm going to do something different.