Notices

Health worries

Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health worries

Hi all,

recently dealing with health worries and i hate it

was nauseated for like 5 days, wnt away sort of, then headaches started and lasted up until now, 4 days and i keep getting nervous and depressed about it,

was suggested to go to the dr about it but ive been like 5 times in two months been told im fine, still worried,

Recently had a relative pass, im scared to end up like that,

Everyday feels horrible now
Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Holds, I had a lot of anxiety for a while when I stopped drinking. I didn't relate it to the stopping of drinking but linked it to other things.

Sorry to hear of your relative passing.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you went to the Dr and they said you are fine.. you are fine. Your brain is fighting with ya right now. Stay positive and active and thank goodness for everything you have in life. I have anxiety too especially after quitting drinking a few days ago. Keep your head up Holds.

Dru -
Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found out that anxiety can manifest itself with me in various physical ways - especially after I got sober.

I felt sure that all the bad stuff I'd done had to have some kind of reckoning...I developed hypochondria in a big way.

I felt as if I didn't deserve good health - there MUST be something wrong with me after all the ways I'd beaten my body up.

But I've done ok - it's now 8 years on

I'm not saying you're imagining things - not at all - but the roots of your ill feeling may be anxiety?

D
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi holds1325 , as Dru says believe your doctor and try to keep occupied .
I am a month sober now and was bad with anxiety but much better now .
I had terrible tension type headaches the Dr called them which lasted days and days . My scalp and face was strangely numb and tight at times and I was worried like you , also none of the pain medication worked .
I went on you tube and found some good exercises to release the back, shoulder and neck tension . At first it was awkward to do but after a few days got easier and within a week the headaches were gone . We carry a lot of stress and tension in our upper back and neck and we unconsciously hunch up our shoulders. we do this because we think fearfully when in withdrawals and in my case it became a bad habit due to binging on and off .

I hope you find relief soon
Old 09-28-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I had a lot of strange stuff going on when i sobered up. for at least 6 months i had the anxiety and the usual stuff. But a couple things used to get me. I had this perpetual lump in my throat. I thought for sure I had esophugus cancer or something either from drinking or smoking either way i was pretty sure I was doomed. I also had these electrical shock sensations in the back of my neck that would travel down my spine out my arms and legs and out my fingers and toes. It felt like i was being electritcuted almost all the time. it was down right awful.

But I'm a-hole and never went to the doctor. In time it all cleared up. Once in a blue moon I do still get those electrical shock sensations. Best i can describe it is as that feeling you get right before you jump off a cliff I basicly lived like that 24/7.

It should ease up. Keep in mind too something like headaches could be caused by all sorts of things unrelated to drinking. Sometimes its the lighting or something we ate etc..
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can't sleep hardly anymore, always feeling nauseated.

I go to work and I feel off, like just staring into the distance. The pressure I feel on my forehead is too much.

My mouth is constantly dry and I feel like it takes a huge effort to just sit here. This awful feeling is coming from I don't know where.

I'm afraid to go to the doctor again because for 1, I know they're just going to tell me I'm fine again, and then prescribe stuff I don't want to take and 2 if I really am not fine this time I don't want to know,

Besides all that, its not fun suffering.....

Why oh why did I quit drinking for all this
Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm afraid to go to the doctor again because for 1, I know they're just going to tell me I'm fine again, and then prescribe stuff I don't want to take and 2 if I really am not fine this time I don't want to know,

Besides all that, its not fun suffering.....

Why oh why did I quit drinking for all this
Yeah damned if you do damned if you dont!? at 4 pluse years sober I still hit that point where i'm like i'm screwed either way arent I?

Reality is that reality really is better while not drinking. We just have our moments and sometimes our moments are a bit longer then a moment.

I'd rather have my miserable sober times then my miserable drunken times.

When i sobered up i just wanted to numb it all again. Now i've learned that I cant numb it all anymore all i can do is push forward. which is kind of bitter sweet if you will. It stinks I have to deal with things but its better then not dealing with them and allowing it to pile up.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah its like somedays I just feel like im dying, and no I'm not suicidal or whatever.

But I feel like my mind wants to shut off, my body wants to shut off, and I just am crawling forward to nothing.

I also hate everything, my job, my life in general, I hate looking at myself in the mirror.

Just wish this would all end, its a very dark place.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

its not a dark place you wanna wallow in tho. I know if i'm not careful i'll wallow myself.

Make a list of htings youre greatful for. I know sometimes when i'm really depressed just going out and looking at the scenery helps theres a lot in nature that makes one feel better.

I go to work and I feel off, like just staring into the distance.
That kinda sounds like your still in the fog to a degree. Give it time I think the fog lifted for me like 3 or 4 months in that was a nice turning point for me. But i was still far form out of the woods. but it made me feel like i was making progress.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those feelings of impending doom , derealization / depersonalization are very unpleasant and frightening ,ive had these on and off after a bad drinking binge and they do pass if only we can passively accept the feelings as sensations caused by a tired CNS ( central nervous system ) , I know its easier said than done . Its the fear of the sensations that keep the sensations coming . That woosh of adrenalin in the pit of the stomach , the weak legs and so on is enough to frighten anyone .
Can you try slow deep breathing and maybe look at some form of meditation . Can you buy Claire Weeks books , she explains how these sensations occur .

I struggled with many anxiety symptoms for many years and still do but not so bad now that I know what causes them . I also had 3 separate visits by ambulance to the A&E due to thinking I was dying .
I know how hard this is for you and its a good thing to get checks by the Dr as you have done .

I wish you well

Last edited by hpdw; 09-28-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

maelstrom I think you said it well. And I always loved that quote by padre pio in your signature!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Walking helps me immensely
Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think one of the most difficult parts about not wallowing in it or trying to stay upbeat with it all is the physical manifestations if thats what they even are.

Trying to keep a positive attitude, even thinking hmm, I can probably make it out of this, eat something, thoughts pass through and boom the nausea hits and it doesn't let up!

Or the headache just wooshes in out of nowhere and its difficult to try and keep your cool. Especially when you take a high dose pain killer and it doesn't even work.

Its like hmmm, pass the alcohol? Oh wait no, thats what started this crap!!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also whats further frustrating is going to the doctor again for all this,

I know they're just going to give me that look again and try to rush me out of there.

Secondly, I'm also scared of going through all that testing again, the waiting is horrible.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and sober, Holds.

In my case, my whole mental and physical make-up (and spiritual as well, of course) was so damaged by years of substance abuse that I was in a fog for a while.

But it slowly began to lift, and what had been underneath began to emerge.

And it wasn't all pretty.

It included anxiety, depression, obsession - you name it.

I don't know what kind of a doctor you have been seeing, but you may want to go to a psychiatrist for an evaluation and, if appropriate, meds or therapy.

Keep us posted and don't drink, amigo.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Think I'm going to go to the Dr later today regardless,

This nausea is getting too much to bear and the headaches are annoying, could be migraines or something I don't know but I've never heard of migraines lasting almost a week! Then again who knows,

At work, tried eating some crackers because I felt a tad hungry, nope! stomach easily rejected it. Also just feeling overly tired in general,

Being sick sucks, and being a hypochondriac while sick, sucks even more
Old 09-29-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 09-29-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
Think I'm going to go to the Dr later today regardless,

This nausea is getting too much to bear and the headaches are annoying, could be migraines or something I don't know but I've never heard of migraines lasting almost a week! Then again who knows,

At work, tried eating some crackers because I felt a tad hungry, nope! stomach easily rejected it. Also just feeling overly tired in general,

Being sick sucks, and being a hypochondriac while sick, sucks even more
Nothing wrong with going to get it checked out Holds. Explain your entire situation too, not just the immediate symptoms.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wanted to add - just because I was prone to hypochondria it didn't mean I couldn't get sick.

I've read your other recent posts. If you're having trouble keeping anything down, that's reasonably serious.

If your own Dr is not taking you seriously or making you feel bad - maybe it's time for a new Dr?

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
Also whats further frustrating is going to the doctor again for all this,

I know they're just going to give me that look again and try to rush me out of there.

Secondly, I'm also scared of going through all that testing again, the waiting is horrible.